487     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 321     0 

1001 bay street cladding?

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I was walking down bay street the other day and took a look at 1001 bay street, the one with the ugly 2 tone cladding. any idea why they are different? was it purposely done like that, or was it some sort of cheapening? anybody remember the story of that when it got built?

1001%20bay%20st.jpg

http://www.urbandb.com/canada/ontario/toronto/1001-bay/

Could very well be an extraordinarily crude Postmodern-era "visual variety" conceit.

Visual variety is a VERY important thing.

I think the problem here is that it's executed so poorly that it detracts from the design instead of adding to it.

if they had used only the blue cladding this would have been a handsome building from the 1980's, but intead it seems more like some building made by Frankenstein.

I thought there was some story regarding this; Along the lines of they ran out of cladding ? As silly as that sounds.

I don't mind it so much, it's a product of it's time but also starting to show it's age. The renovation of the courtyard at the corner three or four years ago is a disaster and the retail is a little messy - it has been seemingly forever.

I used to live @ 1001 Bay.

Never found it to be particularly ugly. The way that the sun would reflect off the two tones was generally pleasing to look at with the cloud formations clearly visible etc.

To each their own I suppose

Pink was such a fashionable 80's colour and can be found on quite a few glass buidings from that era in the city. So yep this was by design and has not aged well at all. Thank god the whole thing wasnt clad in pink!

I could be wrong but I don't think it was originally the colour that it appears today, I think something that creates that colour in the glass has faded from the sun or changed colour a bit over the years.
supercilious-We nearly bought into 1001 Bay back in the mid-90's, $169K for a large 2bed/2bath + solarium (I still have the floor plan in a file) on a high floor, end suite facing south & west. There are several suites with that similar style but this was a fairly large one, about 1100 sq. ft. and the recreation facilities were really impressive.

I had that 2 bed/2 bath on the 31st floor facing north east.

Was a great building. Ended up moving when we needed more space a little more than a decade ago.

Quite a few Leafs players lived in the building at the time due to its proximity to the gardens.

I used to live there too in 1992 - 1993.

I thought it was a great building (close to U of T!) with great rec facilities.

Noteworthy features - which may or may not be commonplace in TO.
- two banks of elevators (like an office tower) - one set for the lower floors, one set for the upper floors.
- dedicated loading bay for moving with a double door elevator that opened directly to the loading bay (depending on which elevator bank you were using, you'd either load into that elevator with just the back door open (no strangers perusing your stuff) or have both doors open and use it as a passage to access the opposite elevator bank.
- the building had garbage chutes.
- the huge retail space never had a good tenant back then.
- the one-bedroom units' bathroom was only accessible through the bedroom.

Could very well be an extraordinarily crude Postmodern-era "visual variety" conceit.

The idea of blending disparate styles of facades was quite popular in the Postmodern era. Often, it would be a blend of an all-glass facade with another facade consisting of a grid of precast or granite cladding meant to evoke a pre-Modern building. It was done to varying degrees of success, with the idea being implemented in a ham-fisted manner for the facade of 1001 Bay Street. The problem at 1001 Bay is that the transition between the two styles of facades is completely abrupt and arbitrary. The combination of black and pink glass could have been amazing, but the cladding wasn't distributed properly for the multiple facades idea to have any success.

Back