News   Mar 28, 2024
 483     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 395     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 742     0 

100 Metre List

Thanks so much. I'm just not certain if it's being updated by the site, or if it's accurate and there just aren't new 150 + towers being proposed right now. He was a big help to me before. 😃
It is updated from time to time, I don't know by whom. You're right, though, I think it hasn't seen an update for a while.

I keep the diagram updated all the time... there just havent been many tall proposals in the last few weeks, that's all. Still waiting for renders of 89 Queen E and 239 Dundas E.

I keep the diagram updated all the time... there just havent been many tall proposals in the last few weeks, that's all. Still waiting for renders of 89 Queen E and 239 Dundas E.
Hi, thanks so much. I understand. I'll keep an eye out for those and also maybe post the new tower numbers for both Toronto and Chicago on this thread. Have a great day. 😃

I wanted to update the skyscraper totals since we were talking on the thread about Toronto's totals vs Chicago's. It's interesting to me that Chicago ranks officially 2nd in North America (According to the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat) with the 2nd most 150 metre + skyscrapers and Toronto is not all that far behind in 3rd right now. So here are a few stats for us all:

Toronto 100 Metre + towers

413 built and u/c

422 proposed

Chicago 100 Metre + towers

343 built and u/c

6 proposed

Toronto 150 Metre + towers

116 built and u/c

147 proposed

Chicago 150 Metre + towers

137 built and u/c

6 proposed

Toronto 200 Metre + towers

36 built and u/c

45 proposed

Chicago 200 Metre + towers

38 build and u/c

5 proposed

Toronto 300 Metre + (Supertall) towers

2 u/c

5 proposed

Chicago 300 Metre + (Supertall) towers

7 built

2 proposed

As you can all see, Toronto is easily set to sail past Chicago in the 100 Metre + category, and just 2 towers back for the moment in the 200 metre + category. In both categories Toronto's proposals far exceed Chicago's proposals, and this is also true in the 150 Metre + category as well. The most interesting stat for me is the 150 Metre category. Toronto has 116, 150 + Metre towers and Chicago has 137, 100 Metre + towers. I think it's going to take some time, and both Toronto and Chicago can, of course, add new 150 Metre + u/c projects at any time. So the stats can change a bit, but I am watching to see how it all unfolds.

You can be sure that at some point when Toronto's 150 Metre + built and u/c totals pass Chicago's, even by a few you'll be seeing News stories in Canada and the U.S. mentioning the fact that Toronto's in on the verge of becoming North America's Number 2 Skyscraper City. There were several stories everywhere online when, including Toronto's proposals, we moved ahead of Chicago, but when our built and u/c totals surpass Chicago's totals, you can be sure it'll be a pretty big story. Thanks for reading this, everybody.
😃

Last edited:
I wanted to update the skyscraper totals since we were talking on the thread about Toronto's totals vs Chicago's. It's interesting to me that Chicago ranks officially 2nd in North America (According to the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat) with the 2nd most 150 metre + skyscrapers and Toronto is not all that far behind in 3rd right now. So here are a few stats for us all:

413 built and u/c

422 proposed

343 built and u/c

6 proposed

116 built and u/c

147 proposed

137 built and u/c

6 proposed

37 built and u/c

45 proposed

38 build and u/c

5 proposed

2 u/c

5 proposed

7 built

2 proposed

As you can all see, Toronto is easily set to sail past Chicago in the 100 Metre + category, and just 1 tower back for the moment in the 200 metre + category. In both categories Toronto's proposals far exceed Chicago's proposals, and this is also true in the 150 Metre + category as well. The most interesting stat for me is the 150 Metre category. Toronto has 116, 150 + Metre towers and Chicago has 137, 100 Metre + towers. I think it's going to take some time, and both Toronto and Chicago can, of course, add new 150 Metre + u/c projects at any time. So the stats can change a bit, but I am watching to see how it all unfolds.

You can be sure that at some point when Toronto's 150 Metre + built and u/c totals pass Chicago's, even by a few you'll be seeing News stories in Canada and the U.S. mentioning the fact that Toronto's in on the verge of becoming North America's Number 2 Skyscraper City. There were several stories everywhere online when, including Toronto's proposals, we moved ahead of Chicago, but when our built and u/c totals surpass Chicago's totals, you can be sure it'll be a pretty big story. Thanks for reading this, everybody.
😃

Thanks Miss J, I too am a heights and lists and compare city to city junky! The greatest and easiest source used to be CTBUH. They have great updated stats for every city and you could easily do side by side city comparisons - a great feature. Unfortunately somewhat recently they decided to put that database behind a paywall!!! I miss it a lot so I have to go back to my old way and create my own lists....

Thanks Miss J, I too am a heights and lists and compare city to city junky! The greatest and easiest source used to be CTBUH. They have great updated stats for every city and you could easily do side by side city comparisons - a great feature. Unfortunately somewhat recently they decided to put that database behind a paywall!!! I miss it a lot so I have to go back to my old way and create my own lists....
Hi, Racill. That's too bad. It seems like everybody is putting up paywalls now. Skyscraper Page.Com has databases that are also easy to use and compare. You just check off boxes for Status' like built/u/c and proposed, and minimum and maximum heights for Toronto tower lists or whatever city you want to look up. Here's a link that you can start with. If you already know all this and use it, then don't worry about it: https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?

413 built and u/c

422 proposed

343 built and u/c

6 proposed

116 built and u/c

147 proposed

137 built and u/c

6 proposed

37 built and u/c

45 proposed

38 build and u/c

5 proposed

2 u/c

5 proposed

7 built

2 proposed

As you can all see, Toronto is easily set to sail past Chicago in the 100 Metre + category, and just 1 tower back for the moment in the 200 metre + category. In both categories Toronto's proposals far exceed Chicago's proposals, and this is also true in the 150 Metre + category as well. The most interesting stat for me is the 150 Metre category. Toronto has 116, 150 + Metre towers and Chicago has 137, 100 Metre + towers. I think it's going to take some time, and both Toronto and Chicago can, of course, add new 150 Metre + u/c projects at any time. So the stats can change a bit, but I am watching to see how it all unfolds.

😃

Thanks for the latest summary! Really enjoyed reading it!

In my mind, when comparing Chicago and Toronto, regarding any metric, what makes more sense (at least to me) is to compare Chicagoland (28,120km2 in area) to Greater Golden Horseshoe (31,562km2 in area). But obviously, it's not easy to find hights of all the proposals and even u/c buildings in Mississauga, Vaughan, KW, Hamilton...

PS I would personally like it more if we had a similar term like Chicagoland. Maybe Torontoland?

Thanks for the latest summary! Really enjoyed reading it!

In my mind, when comparing Chicago and Toronto, regarding any metric, what makes more sense (at least to me) is to compare Chicagoland (28,120km2 in area) to Greater Golden Horseshoe (31,562km2 in area). But obviously, it's not easy to find hights of all the proposals and even u/c buildings in Mississauga, Vaughan, KW, Hamilton...

PS I would personally like it more if we had a similar term like Chicagoland. Maybe Torontoland?

We have a term for that now, Greater Golden Horseshoe or GGH for short.

It's a nearly identical footprint (area in km2) .

We have a term for that now, Greater Golden Horseshoe or GGH for short.

It's a nearly identical footprint (area in km2) .
That's what I said in the post above, even said what the are is 😊

At the end I just said that I personally like the term Chicagoland and that I would like something similar instead of GGH. Of course, this is purely wishful thinking 😊

That's what I said in the post above, even said what the are is 😊

At the end I just said that I personally like the term Chicagoland and that I would like something similar instead of GGH. Of course, this is purely wishful thinking 😊

Sorry, the last sentence stuck w/me.

Don't see a problem GGH though.

As to the Skyscraper totals, is there one for Chicagoland?

We can definitely put together one for the GGH.

Sorry, the last sentence stuck w/me.

Don't see a problem GGH though.

As to the Skyscraper totals, is there one for Chicagoland?

We can definitely put together one for the GGH.

Well, that's just it... Because of the different zoning approach in the USA,
there are no buildings in Illinois taller than 150m (which most consider an official cut-off for a building to be a skyscraper).

The tallest building outside of Chicago proper, but within the Chicagoland, would be Oakbrook Terrace Tower (127m).

From Wiki:
"Oakbrook Terrace Tower, an octagonal 31-story office building, was designed by Helmut Jahn and built in 1987. It is the tallest building in Illinois outside the city limits of Chicago and is currently owned by The Blackstone Group.[8] The 418-foot (127 m) tower has 773,000 square feet (71,800 m2) of office space."

Of course, comparing cities this way cuts both ways, as Chicagoland is still (to my knowledge) more populous than GGH, although city proper Toronto has more people than Chicago.

Regardless, looking at GGH makes more sense for comparison not only to cities in the USA, but also to Asian cities, which typically include wider area.

Just my two cents...

Well, that's just it... Because of the different zoning approach in the USA,
there are no buildings in Illinois taller than 150m (which most consider an official cut-off for a building to be a skyscraper).

The tallest building outside of Chicago proper, but within the Chicagoland, would be Oakbrook Terrace Tower (127m).

From Wiki:
"Oakbrook Terrace Tower, an octagonal 31-story office building, was designed by Helmut Jahn and built in 1987. It is the tallest building in Illinois outside the city limits of Chicago and is currently owned by The Blackstone Group.[8] The 418-foot (127 m) tower has 773,000 square feet (71,800 m2) of office space."

Well then, we know we'd win that comparison!

Of course, comparing cities this way cuts both ways, as Chicagoland is still (to my knowledge) more populous than GGH, although city proper Toronto has more people than Chicago.

Regardless, looking at GGH makes more sense for comparison not only to cities in the USA, but also to Asian cities, which typically include wider area.

Just my two cents...

GGH population 2021: (Auditor General's report Dec 2021) 10, 200,000 *

Chicagoland population 2021: (wikipedia) 9, 968,000 (using the MSA area)

* Report Link: https://pub-trca.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=8625

See. page 1 (summary)

Back