News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 374     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 949     1 

10 Lower Spadina (?,?,?)

I am going to make a useless prediction here for at least 50s, hotel, cultural institution and condos starting at $3m designed by a guy whose last name ends in -gard. lol Btw isn’t the building just to the north up for grabs?

Last edited:
I am going to make a useless prediction here for at least 50s, hotel, cultural institution and condos starting at $3m designed by a guy whose last name ends in -gard. lol Btw isn’t the building just to the north up for grabs?

Seems unlikely, taken on its own, w/o the site to the north, allowing for setbacks of 12.5M from the north and west, ~3M from the south and east, you get a ~450m2 floor plate for a tower. Even if I'm light by 20% that still doesn't strike me as viable w/o hyper luxury pricing.

Now, the real $$ here, I would think, is if the owner of 20 Lower Spadina (site to the north) were to pick up this site).

Be interested to hear @ProjectEnd 's thoughts.

Prime waterfront location. Owner shedding a dated office block. Seems like a win/win here.

Taken 25 February.

IMG_7559.jpeg

50 storeys would be out of context for the neighbourhood and for a high end building. The streetcar impacts the opportunities for a high end building. My first choice wouldn't be redevelopment at all but the long term office market forecast is ugly. I'll guess 40 storey mid range tower (like context means anything in Toronto) with 275 units and 2 elevators

In the plan buildings are supposed to be low at the lake and ascend in height the further away you move from it.
Could only get 20storeys here like the opposite corner.
If the developer also acquired the Francophone building to the north then they would probably be allowed a taller building with many setbacks.

Although I do see the rational behind seeing a lower structure I can’t help but see recent developments as a signal of where things are going. For example most of the new buildings going up on the north side of Queens Quay are between 50-70s, not to mention the 105s tower at Yonge.

All fun speculation until the application is made! 👍

Though it seems unlikely, it would be nice to see some sort of cultural use here. Maybe the National Ballet can expand from their space in Kings Landing?

I can’t see the Francophone building remaining - it’s old but not really a valuable heritage asset, and it’s awkwardly sited.

It won't be, the site is in play.

Though it seems unlikely, it would be nice to see some sort of cultural use here. Maybe the National Ballet can expand from their space in Kings Landing?

I can’t see the Francophone building remaining - it’s old but not really a valuable heritage asset, and it’s awkwardly sited.

It won't be, the site is in play.

Heritage Planning *might* be able to make the case.

Heritage Planning *might* be able to make the case.

Would it be realistic to move the heritage building to the corner of queens quay and lower Spadina with a new tower located closer to the gardiner?

Could potentially become a retail / cultural pavilion.

Would it be realistic to move the heritage building to the corner of queens quay and lower Spadina with a new tower located closer to the gardiner?

Could potentially become a retail / cultural pavilion.

Could it be done? Sure.........in theory; though really, I find the house very unremarkable, and not particularly attractive; I'm one for defending good heritage.........I don't feel like this is that.

Moving the house isn't cheap and would only be justified by a fairly large build; I'd rather a community benefit of another form.

Last edited:
Although I do see the rational behind seeing a lower structure I can’t help but see recent developments as a signal of where things are going. For example most of the new buildings going up on the north side of Queens Quay are between 50-70s, not to mention the 105s tower at Yonge.

All fun speculation until the application is made! 👍
The 105 storey tower is about half a kilometer from the water's edge and there are going to be five buildings south of it descending in height. Don't hold your breath height junkies lol

Back