News   Apr 25, 2024
 282     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 906     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 927     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Friday Night at TLS !!! ( it's a party!!)

I too was down at TLS on Friday night for the Iron Man movie. Wow!! the place was rammed packed, I have never seen TLS so packed and busy since it opened. Wall to wall people, crowded escalators and walkways, the Adidas store was hoppin' and that pedistrian bridge crossing thing into the store was also being used for people going from the store to purchase movie tickets.

Upstairs there was a bit of a scene outside the new "Jack Astors Bar" and restaurant as the kiddie staff hung out in the front making jokes and smiling. - When I got into the AMC lobby again, the place was packed and buzzing. And people were offering me free Popcorn and drinks cause I had a stub to the movie. I didn't even know that that thing was still going, but I guess they did it agian to bring some more people into the theatre.
Anyways... there were shows every half hour and yet there were still huge line ups to get into the theatre.

When I was going up I noticed that the "Bubble Tease" & "Harvey's" in the foodcourt look ready to go. Although the place is still roped off and the security guys are hanging out there to keep people from remaining on that level. Also there was what looked to be a icecream joint on the lowest level and a "Subway" take out stand as well. - Of course inside the mall - the LED/Plasma flat screens are everywhere, including the superbright one at the front entrance. All the lights, & electronic advertising are really making that place buzz. - I was thinking to myself oh boy, the Atrium across the street just installed their own LED/Plasma flat screen advertising boards, and the Eaton Centre already has them in the most recent addition, how much longer before we see this type of advertising in all of the Toronto area malls. Again, I just found it interesting. -

Overall and in my opinion I think TLS has a lot of potential to be a really super spot for the younger kids and teenagers, - It was designed with all of its high-tech electronics to appeal to them and if that was the point... they nailed it. Once the restaurants on the upper levels are completed I'm sure that adults might find some interest in this mall as well. But for now, I think the older set will be content to use the Atrium across the street. This place seems targeted to teenage sensibilities of course where the kids go I'm sure the adults will follow. Just look at your local McDonalds and notice 60% of the people there are seniors over 65 years old.

IMGP4979i.jpg

Picture was taken on Friday Night: from Taller, Better at SSC.

I went there to see Iron-Man too. Overall not impressed with TLS, downright disappointed.....hmm where do I start

- Grey finishing for the entrance in the first floor? can they pick a more boring design as an entrance

- Second floor as a food court?!?! really?!?!? with subway/Timmy as the tenants? Who are they catering here? classy young professionals or bunch high schoolers and gang members?

- The theatre lobby is not large enough, and the ceiling is pretty low. Nothing special about the interior design, nothing screams 'the premiere theatre' in town

So all in all, the brightest building in the most visible intersection in town, and all they can do is a sports store which will attract no more than gang members with bandanas, a big box electronic retailer and a D-class theatre.

Bravo!

Overall and in my opinion I think TLS has a lot of potential to be a really super spot for the younger kids and teenagers,

For me, a good reason to avoid it.

^ Why would you go see a movie at TLS if you think the only people who hang out at Yonge and Dundas are "gang members"?

Petra's concerns are justifiable. I was there on Friday for the 6:30 pm screening of Iron Man. On my way towards the main lobby this guy accompanied by two of his minions purposely bumps into my shoulder while walking past. He looked like a rapper wannabe lol. Needless to say I didnt stoop down to his level and instead proceeded towards the exit.
Seriously, what is it with these kids...and TLS?!

Does anyone know if that grey vertical cylindrical thing between the Koodo and Toronto Life Square ads right now will get colour or lighting like in some of the renderings?

Perhaps TLS should adopt this measure which already applies to Blue Jays games...

"In cooperation with the Toronto Police Service, guests wearing known gang clothing and/or colours will not be permitted into Rogers Centre. Guests will be automatically asked to leave the premises, as noted on signs posted at gate entrances."

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/tor/ballpark/a_z_guide.jsp#G

"...no way am I going there to see a movie. The entire area is creepy...I can see more shootings happening down there in the future."

I don't even know how to respond to this.

________
Edit.

Good point Hydrogen, I'll explain. I find that urbandreamer's observation does not adequately encompass the realities of 'life' at Y/D square. While he does explain that he finds the area 'creepy' and feels that it is ripe for a 'shooting,' he fails to supply the causes of these failures. While it would be naive to believe that an anonymous debate on an internet forum would change his opinion, I feel that he should at least tell us what he feels is problematic about this developing intersection. If 'crowds' are the sole problem, then the debate is not about the life of urban neighborhoods which are successful because of them, but one's own conception of 'personal space.' In sum, I just felt that such a bold and drastic claim needed further elucidation.

^Which is a totally reasonable response to such an unreasonable observation.

--------------------
Edit:

Thanks for the clarification ProjectEnd.

Of course there will be more shootings. I don't know about you but when I see an unfinished looking ceiling and Adidas track pants for $129 I just want to bust a cap.

lol!

Why I love making bold and drastic claims:

ADD :)

I rarely see movies in theatres because I'm against the consumption of pop culture and enriching the lives of the rich! I'm cheap. haha.

In truth, I hate the y/d area because A)I'm against consumption of crap (found in tls and the eaton centre) B)I hate crowds C)too much potential for a gang war down here D)I find the area embarrassing--makes Toronto look like a wannabe town E)I didn't go to Ryerson....

Back