News   Jul 12, 2024
 726     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 669     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 296     0 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess we've gotta wait another month to find out.

Damn. :mad:

JOSH WINGROVE

From Wednesday's Globe and Mail
Last updated on Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2009 03:01AM EDT

The developer who had been clinging to control of the once-lauded One Bloor Street East condo development announced last night that the project has been sold.

The One Bloor tower has been mired in a struggle after its developer, Bazis International Inc., defaulted on the loan it used to buy the land. The tower, planned for the southeast corner of Yonge and Bloor streets, had once been billed as Canada's tallest residential structure, with about 80 storeys.

The developer has been fighting an effort to be pushed into bankruptcy proceedings, and last month announced the project would go ahead at 68 storeys.

Yesterday, news came of a reported deal, though details were scarce.

"A well-established Toronto developer has entered into a binding agreement with Bazis International for the One Bloor property with closing in mid-September," the statement said.

"It is too early to discuss future development plans, however, further details will be made available at the appropriate time after closing. Due to the confidentiality agreement, we cannot comment any further at this time."

The cryptic statement leaves the condo's potential tenants wondering what will happen next.

The average buyer has $80,000 to $120,000 invested in the building already.

"Nobody really knows anything. That's the bottom line," said Garth Juriansz, a real-estate agent who bought a unit on the 39th floor, and sold numerous others, including some above the 68th floor.

"If [the sale] actually had happened and there was a binding agreement between them, they would have been thrilled to let people know that," he said.

"The fact that there's no name, no details, no date, that's what makes my buyers nervous again."

One of his clients, who had bought on now-cancelled floors, signed a document this week that Mr. Juriansz said guarantees him his money back, but he remains skeptical. Mr. Juriansz had been told to expect news yesterday.

"What do we have? We have a broken promise again. A broken date," he said last night.

"We don't know."

Last edited:
I noticed that too! Pretty sad for CTV.

It was 1 Bloor East, but not the final design. Rather sloppy work on the part of CTV. It made me question the credibility of everything else they were saying. They didn't give any details either. What's going ahead? The same condo? A different one?

I had to go somewhere else to find out. Incompetence really.

From the CTV clip, I think the model they briefly show is Aura at College Park.

They also mention a "hole in the ground." That ain't so.

ya, they seem to be way off.

If the Bazis plan does indeed get scuttled, it would probably be an appropriate time to try and get some public pressure to have a design competition for whatever does eventually get built on this site.

Why? It's a private site, they should be able to build whatever is demanded by the purchasers/tenants.

If the city really wants a specific use/design, then The City should have bought the site!

It was 1 Bloor East, but not the final design.

It is definitely Aura. You can even see Collage Park behind the base of the model (top right hand corner) including the pool/ice rink. :)

2415060656_954a188c02.jpg

2414234891_a63a73c070_b.jpg

I have from a good source, who needs to remain anonymous, that the agreement is between Bazis and Conservatory Group. Their plan is to bring a new sense of creativity and life to the area, much like they have done in their successful projects in NYCC. I think this is a great start, considering they do such beautiful looking buildings.

p5

I have from a good source, who needs to remain anonymous, that the agreement is between Bazis and Conservatory Group. Their plan is to bring a new sense of creativity and life to the area, much like they have done in their successful projects in NYCC. I think this is a great start, considering they do such beautiful looking buildings.

p5

Hehe... Good one. ;)

It is definitely Aura. You can even see Collage Park behind the base of the model (top right hand corner) including the pool/ice rink. :)

There seems to be 2 CTV clips. The CTV National News definitely showed the 2nd last 1 Bloor East render, not the final design or AURA. CTV Toronto showed the 1 Bloor East promo video and AURA. Seems they both screwed it up, but in different ways. Sorry, for the confusion.

Last edited:
Someone asked about the CTV clip. Are there 2 CTV clips? The CTV news clip I saw last night definitely showed the 2nd last 1 Bloor East render, not the one you posted above.

Not sure, but this is the clip I've seen:

http://watch.ctv.ca/news/clip204856#clip204856

Aura is clearly visible after 1:20 seconds (just note the blue circular pool which is College Park). CTV also mentions 1 Bloor as the “largest†(rather then tallest) residential building in Canada. This, of course, is Aura’s tag line with over 900 units. It seems CTV has inadvertently mixed up the two building.

Very poor indeed…

Yes, that's the CTV Toronto clip. It's different than the CTV National News clip. I didn't realize there were two different CTV clips till I clicked on that one. The one CTV Toronto clip above clearly shows AURA. The CTV National News clip clearly showed 1 Bloor East, but the wrong render.

The intrest is on whats happening with the future of 1BE, who cares what pic they are showing.:rolleyes:

We’re just pointing out CTV’s poor journalism (for those who believe every word they say!).

Unfortunately, it now looks like we have another 30 days of hearsay…

Why? It's a private site, they should be able to build whatever is demanded by the purchasers/tenants.

If the city really wants a specific use/design, then The City should have bought the site!

Design competitions are held all the time for private projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back