News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 397     0 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, this is probably just another false alarm, but someone over at SSC is reporting there are 2 excavating machines onsite......:rolleyes:

anybody near enough to confirm (or deny)?

Agreed. The land is in private hands and will remain that way.

yes, hume obviously had a couple of glasses of wine before writing his column. why not...uh...a skating rink...or...uh...a downtown flea market?
it's gotta be the juiciest piece of empty real estate in the city.
ain't no park going there.

I spoke to someone at Hariri Pontarini last week...they were working on a two tower scheme for this site. It sounded very preliminary but sounds like Bazis (or another developer for that matter) is looking at other options.

Something ala Hullmark @ Yonge/Sheppard could work here.

But I would eliminate the retail podium if the plan is to do an open public court.

Some%20Updates%20031.jpg

Last edited:
That's a very 50s Toronto the Good kind of attitude there. It's valuable land--of course it must be put to its most profitable use! It's a very prominent site in the city. That's why it would be a great spot for something that contributes more to the city than a condo. That's not to say that you can't have some development. As I said before, it would be a mistake if the eastern and southern sides of any square weren't developed with commercial buildings. That would help defray the cost of any land acquisition. If the City can be tough negotiators, I'd say that they may just be able to get the land at a fire sale price. It'd be a great spot for a square.

But for this site! I'd rather a 80 story building not 2 40 story buildings!

I hope the above is not true, unless its 2 80 story towers :p

But for this site! I'd rather a 80 story building not 2 40 story buildings!

Why though? Two 40 or 50 storey tower will fit the Yorkville skyline better than a near 1000 footer and/or a tower nearly twice the height of the next tallest in a well established skyline.

Why though? Two 40 or 50 storey tower will fit the Yorkville skyline better than a near 1000 footer and/or a tower nearly twice the height of the next tallest in a well established skyline.

Not everything should "fit in".

Look at NYC as an example. Once you leave the CBD, and move north the skyline levels out, but then suddenly you have these other buildings that just pop up out of nowhere, like the Chrysler building for example.

Here's a quick crude mockup of what I'd like to see at Y&Bloor. A 60+ storey crescent shaped tower oriented northwest with lots of retail on the lower floors. I'd really like to see some kind of square here. I was disappointed when I saw 1BE came right out to the property line on the Yonge & Bloor sides.

1bemock.jpg

Yes, that would be great - lets homogenize everything so nothing stands out. Sounds exciting.

Come on lets keep one at 80 storeys (you already have approval here for this height) and build a second 50-60 storey building, hey if you cant built tall in this location, where else can you.:rolleyes:

yeah definitely something tall 75s+ is appropriate here ... something that jumps out ... as long as the project architect comes up with something more interesting than Varacalli's current 1BE concept I'll be happy :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back