Ajax 425 Bayly Street West | 193.24m | 60s | VanDusen Realty Holdings | Icon

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
It's go big or go home in Ajax!

56934-175031.jpg

New proposal coming our way from Van Dusen Realty Holdings at Bayly and Westney, so within walking distance of Ajax GO, so it's GO big and GO home here? Ehh?! Ehh?!

Ahhhhh, sorry about that... front page story here!

56934-175031.jpg

New proposal coming our way from Van Dusen Realty Holdings at Bayly and Westney, so within walking distance of Ajax GO, so it's GO big and GO home here? Ehh?! Ehh?!

The design is 'Icon' and it shows.

I'm fine w/densifying here, but this looks both bad, and monotonous.

Several of the towers have no apparent setbacks above the podium, that's visually jarring and likely to cause wind issues.

The giant drive oval in the middle of the site is profoundly unappealing too!

Send it home, err to the shop for a re-work.

Last edited:
It's a vertical subdivision, nothing more and nothing less. Not a human-scaled development.

I can't help but fear that these master-planned, multi-tower communities popping up like weeds in the inner suburbs will experience the same unfortunate fate as the tower-in-the-park developments of the 60s and 70s. They certainly seem as isolated from communal city life as the former (if not way more).

This does not make sense at all! It’s not even reasonably walkable to a GO Station.
Even if it’s adjacent to a transit hub, it’s way too tall, monstrous and grossly out of context from the rest of the neighbourhood or town.
This will potentially add more than 6,000 residents to this block. Where are community amenities to help support it (grocery stores, shops, restaurants, parks, community centre, schools, day care, libraries, etc.)? The 1,400 sq.m of retail and 2,100 sq.m of office space is insignificant compared to the amount of residential proposed here.

The appearance of six very tall, lookalike banal high rises in the suburbs, when the buildings around there are no more than two stories is pretty jarring. I don’t know what the developer is thinking and I’m sure the town of Ajax would shoot this proposal down right away. There should be some affordable and rental housing to add some housing diversity that is needed. This is something I would expect in China or Russia.

What kind of units will be in these buildings and who would want to live (or buy) in such an oppressive development? The development is in a middle of an area that seems to be mostly an industrial park, not the most pleasant of neighbourhoods.

It's a vertical subdivision, nothing more and nothing less. Not a human-scaled development.

I can't help but fear that these master-planned, multi-tower communities popping up like weeds in the inner suburbs will experience the same unfortunate fate as the tower-in-the-park developments of the 60s and 70s. They certainly seem as isolated from communal city life as the former (if not way more).

I'd actually argue it's worse than a typical subdivision, greenfield/sprawl issues aside. Generally in new greenfield with this level of units, you will have new parks, new school blocks, SWM ponds, rec trails ect integrated as part of the overall subdivision. This proposal is just lazy, and certainly not a masterplanning exercise. It's insular, and contributes nothing to the public realm or community infrastructure for the number of units proposed.

This does not make sense at all! It’s not even reasonably walkable to a GO Station.
Even if it’s adjacent to a transit hub, it’s way too tall, monstrous and grossly out of context from the rest of the neighbourhood or town.
This will potentially add more than 6,000 residents to this block. Where are community amenities to help support it (grocery stores, shops, restaurants, parks, community centre, schools, day care, libraries, etc.)? The 1,400 sq.m of retail and 2,100 sq.m of office space is insignificant compared to the amount of residential proposed here.

The appearance of six very tall, lookalike banal high rises in the suburbs, when the buildings around there are no more than two stories is pretty jarring. I don’t know what the developer is thinking and I’m sure the town of Ajax would shoot this proposal down right away. There should be some affordable and rental housing to add some housing diversity that is needed. This is something I would expect in China or Russia.

What kind of units will be in these buildings and who would want to live (or buy) in such an oppressive development? The development is in a middle of an area that seems to be mostly an industrial park, not the most pleasant of neighbourhoods.
While I agree it’s a terrible proposal I have to disagree it’s not walking distance to the GO. It’s about 15-20 walk.

.... I have to disagree it’s not walking distance to the GO. It’s about 15-20 walk.

On google maps, I get a distance of 1.1km. Which is consistent w/your 15 minute supposition.

Is that walking distance? In a general sense, yes, but its at the outer limits of most people's tolerance for a routine trip by foot.

For planning purposes, you would normally draw the circle at about 800M.

One has to remember, if argument is that people will walk to transit, its not will they do so when the weather is perfect, a mix of sun and cloud, late September, no chance of rain, and 18C.

Its about whether they would make that walk in winter, when its cold out, and the sidewalks may have snow/ice; will they make that walk when its raining (that's a long trip under an umbrella); and will they make it when its a hazy, humid
day in July, at 28C feels like 35C?

The determinative issue being, would they feel the need to own a car, for those 'bad days'; because once they own it, they're more likely to use it routinely.

56934-175031.jpg

@Northern Light i saw this on the front page i immediately puked
1726760887351.png

Back