News   Sep 26, 2024
 313     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 853     3 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 595     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Agreed, the cost to extend all stops is not trivial. Especially if the center platform stops haven't been designed to allow for expansion without moving the tracks to allow for the extension.

Like @Amare mentioned, frequency will be maximized before any plans of coupling two vehicles comes up.
To my understanding, the stops/stations are all designed so they can be expanded for coupled trains in the future. Most importantly, the platform at the underground station at Finch West is 90m long to protect for that expansion. I agree they won't do it until the line hits peak frequency, but protections for coupled-train operation do exist for the future.

As an aside, Ottawa's Confederation Line (which uses the same trains) is similar, there they built the current platforms for 2 connected trains, but were designed for eventual expansion to sets of 3 trains.

IMG_4944.jpeg

As an aside, Ottawa's Confederation Line (which uses the same trains) is similar, there they built the current platforms for 2 connected trains, but were designed for eventual expansion to sets of 3 trains.
Not quite. The system is designed to allow for an additional segment to be added to each car, not to add an additional car altogether. If you've ever been to the underground city center stations, they have been built to the maximum platform/train length that was meant for the system.

I wonder if Finch’s Citadis can manage another segment. Some of the ones in Dublin are 53m long now, some new some extended. Those cars are cousins rather than siblings tho.

As for coupling, it wouldn’t be a way to classify streetcar vs LRV given TTC ran coupled streetcars in the past (PCCs on Bloor streetcar line)

I wonder if Finch’s Citadis can manage another segment. Some of the ones in Dublin are 53m long now, some new some extended. Those cars are cousins rather than siblings tho.

As for coupling, it wouldn’t be a way to classify streetcar vs LRV given TTC ran coupled streetcars in the past (PCCs on Bloor streetcar line)
Alstom has certainly marketed extension of existing units as a possibility, but I can't think of any systems that have done it.

Alstom has certainly marketed extension of existing units as a possibility, but I can't think of any systems that have done it.
The Dublin ones were done in 2019, a pair of modules per LRV (just glanced at the boards.ie thread for the extension work). That’s the only non-Canadian light rail I follow so no idea if any other customer has done it.

My best guess is the average temperature range, year round, is much slimmer in Lyon. Seems to be the case from a quick google search.

Power lines can expand and sag a lot at high temperatures. If the catenary is strung such that it’s taut at say -15 degrees, then it will be very droopy at +30 degrees. So our complex catenary may be more of an eyesore but it’s robustly designed – not necessarily over engineered.

Also, as I’ve gleaned from twitter replies, the example in Lyon runs mostly in a rail corridor. Finch LRT runs in a road median with many more hazards.

It won’t make much of a difference in most parts of the route. Maybe save like 30 seconds between Kipling to Islington. Unless the difference meant missing red lights which transit priority should help. Oh wait, do we even have extended green like we do for streetcars?

Back