News   Aug 27, 2024
 501     0 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 441     0 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 868     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Fare gates...anyone have injuries from them?

I've had them crush my hand on more than one occasion, bash my exposed shin, pretty sure had one close on my neck when I dropped something. There's more that I'm forgetting. And the speed... it's awkward and slow. Disrupts the flow exiting platforms/stations.

Mods can move this to appropriate thread (maybe it's a Presto one since I couldn't find a Fare Gate thread).

I only seem to have problems with the wide accessible ones. Early on I tried to walk through one after someone came. First it swung closed, barely missing it, and then, despite my exiting, it didn't swing the other way, and I walked into it, and it didn't yield. I ended up on the ground.

And again exiting through one just yesterday, it seemed to swing open slowly, and even though I slowed down for it, it felt like it stabbed me.

Normally I just avoid the wider accessible gates - but it's not possible at stations that don't have any regular ones.

I only seem to have problems with the wide accessible ones. Early on I tried to walk through one after someone came. First it swung closed, barely missing it, and then, despite my exiting, it didn't swing the other way, and I walked into it, and it didn't yield. I ended up on the ground.

I had this happen a few times. I tapped to go through just as it was closing and got blocked.

It didn't react quickly and I walked into the door.

I've had them crush my hand on more than one occasion, bash my exposed shin, pretty sure had one close on my neck when I dropped something. There's more that I'm forgetting. And the speed... it's awkward and slow. Disrupts the flow exiting platforms/stations.

Mods can move this to appropriate thread (maybe it's a Presto one since I couldn't find a Fare Gate thread).
I'd rather them be left open as default and only close when fare's not paid.

I'd rather them be left open as default and only close when fare's not paid.
If there's a lone of people entering (or exiting) in one direction, that's effectively how they work. They don't have to close for the next person to go - something some people don't seem to get.

It's only if one expects the same behaviour if you try and exit the second after someone else enters, that things get interesting.

https://www.ttc.ca/news/2024/August/TTC-increasing-service-to-The-Ex-for-CNE
Dedicated CNE Express shuttle buses will also be running non-stop between Dufferin Station and Dufferin Gate Loop.
I've taken this several times over the last three years during the CNE. They make it very clear with repeated announcements (almost to the point of being annoying) before the bus doors close and it leaves that it's a non-stop CNE Express bus and it will not be making any stops and going express all the way to the Dufferin Gates.

Yet every single time I've time I've taken it, at least one person wants to get off and frantically tries to get the driver's attention when the bus keeps going.
Yesterday a guy was actually pulling and shaking the doors to try to force them open. I get that some people don't have English as their first language (he had an eastern European accent), but he could obviously understand enough of it to be angrily yelling "CNE? F#ck CNE!" and "No, I call police about YOU!" at the driver.

Edit: I know there's not much space for it at Dufferin and Bloor, but I suppose it might help eliminate the apparent confusion, among those few who don't listen or understand the announcements, if the CNE Express buses boarded at a more clearly defined spot separated from the regular 29 and 929 buses.

Last edited:
It's the last week of the clown Rick Leary's horrendous tenure as TTC CEO, we should throw a giant party to celebrate the momentous day. The CBC did an interview with him and he had some memorable quotes which we can all laugh at together:

On TTC maintenance:
"Everybody loves a ribbon cutting and an announcement. Maintaining existing, not so much. But you can't have something new that can't link and be as reliable as the old," Leary said. "We have to make sure the old is maintained."

On his Apparent Love for transit even though he doesn't even use the system, or communicate with the public unless forced to
"I just have a passion for this business. I love making a difference. I love helping people. I love customer service, customer experience, all from the days I operated trains,"

On the SRT derailment:
"I'm not worried about that type of issue happening. I consider that a one-off at the TTC"

It's the last week of the clown Rick Leary's horrendous tenure as TTC CEO, we should throw a giant party to celebrate the momentous day. The CBC did an interview with him and he had some memorable quotes which we can all laugh at together:

On TTC maintenance:
"Everybody loves a ribbon cutting and an announcement. Maintaining existing, not so much. But you can't have something new that can't link and be as reliable as the old," Leary said. "We have to make sure the old is maintained."

On his Apparent Love for transit even though he doesn't even use the system, or communicate with the public unless forced to
"I just have a passion for this business. I love making a difference. I love helping people. I love customer service, customer experience, all from the days I operated trains,"

On the SRT derailment:
"I'm not worried about that type of issue happening. I consider that a one-off at the TTC"
I do hope the TTC finally can get a track geometry vehicle with the next CEO.

On TTC maintenance:

On the SRT derailment:

Here's another good one:

1724763830539.png

He most certainly did not eliminate bunching/gapping, its as serious or more serious an issue than ever.

He did mostly eliminate short turns.........by bloating the Round Trip Time (RTT) of most routes, so that buses/streetcars pile up at the terminals doing nothing useful.

So the above is 50% a lie, and 50% a non-achievement by solving the problem in the most expensive way possible that serves the riders as little as possible.

Here's another good one:

View attachment 591536

He most certainly did not eliminate bunching/gapping, its as serious or more serious an issue than ever.

He did mostly eliminate short turns.........by bloating the Round Trip Time (RTT) of most routes, so that buses/streetcars pile up at the terminals doing nothing useful.

So the above is 50% a lie, and 50% a non-achievement by solving the problem in the most expensive way possible that serves the riders as little as possible.
And again: he would know that if he actually used the system. The disconnect is wild. They absolutely need to hire people in charge that actually use the system. That should be a qualification.

The underhwhelming service increases were pressered this morning........

Here's a link that has most of them, sorta...

I previewed a fair bit of this for UT, but there will be details of interest to many at the link.

I won't copy/paste here, as its both long and badly written and coded.

When the TTC first put this link out and told media to use it in their stories.........there was no content posted.......... that changed in the last hour........now its just got 'issues'. LOL

Amateur hour.....

Edit to add, the claim made here is that service is now back to 97% of pre-pandemic levels.

Two Qualifiers:

1) The TTC measures this in operator hours, which are inflated by replacing the SRT w/buses just to achieve the same capacity you need more than 4x the number of operators.

2) The population of the City has grown by a solid 10%,. So treading water should mean 110% of pre-pandemic hours.

Last edited:

Back