News   Sep 26, 2024
 285     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 826     3 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 583     0 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

We've been moved over to the left in the WB lanes past hwy 25 recently and concrete dividers have been put up on the right. Not sure if that is just for construction vehicle movement or if they are actually grading for expansion to Tremaine at this point.

My worry is trucks getting on the highway at the new Tremaine on ramp, WB, and having to accelerate up the hill into Kelso.

Aug 13
Caught these shots on my way to the US
53949183423_4b0a20e423_b.jpg

53948923316_3aeac0cf05_b.jpg

53949249189_d3bfb3b561_b.jpg

53948923311_447d4a4d78_b.jpg

53949377560_e06c5cd715_b.jpg

Thanks for the pics- can see just how wide the new bridges are- we got the foundation for the missing Highway 8 flyovers in place now. Still need to build the actual flyovers, however.

Looking at the MTO's website, this isn't even planned as a upcoming expansion anymore. I recall it was there in the past just without funding or a start date.

I guess this will be deferred to the 2030s, despite the fact London and K-W metros are growing at 10%+ every census.You can laugh all you want about the lack of freeways in London, but since Kitchener has one, you'd think there'd be a proper connection to it.

Even with HSR in the future, the 401 should have 3 lanes in each direction from end to end.
I support the 3 lanes and have been calling for them far too long.

Add a 4th for steep inclines for truckers and banning them out right from using the passing lane period. Taking it one step further, have photo cameras setup to catch any illegal trucker in that passing lane.

It made no different to truckers in the US where signs said no trucks in the left or left 2 lanes as well HOV, they used them.

In many places, it took up to 10 miles for one truck to pass another and seen this in Canada as well.

HOV lanes were a joke as no one obey the rules including me as most were either 6-10 or 3-7 5 days a week. I first obey the rules until 18 wheelers started to pass me in that HOV lane. Some start and finish 15-20 miles from the city centre and disappear or start about 3 miles from the downtown area. At least there are very few HOV lanes unlike our roads.

Some places have EZ pass HOV lanes that reveries depending on the time of day. that takes photos of your plates like the 407 setup.

One thing that should happen, getting those Sunday/slow poke drivers out of that passing lane if it means setting up cameras for that lane. It bad from time to time on the 401, but a real bottleneck in the US for this year trip. In some cases, there were 10 or more sitting that passing lane with no traffic in the other lane or 2.

Back