News   Aug 09, 2024
 762     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 651     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 2.6K     2 

Considering a small town to retire to in 2030-35. Recommendations?

Southwestern Ontario farming country - Stratford, Blyth, Listowel and places in between, and then Goderich, Bayfield…I am biased but the corn stands tall.

Closer to the western side of the GTA - Kilbride, Carlisle.

And if your cash flow is strong, then Niagara on the Lake.

All peer reviewed by our family and the subject of lively discussion at times when the clan gathers.

Southwestern Ontario farming country - Stratford, Blyth, Listowel and places in between, and then Goderich, Bayfield…I am biased but the corn stands tall.

All peer reviewed by our family and the subject of lively discussion at times when the clan gathers.
Thanks for adding those recs - aside from Stratford and NOTL, I'm not familiar with any of them. I'm hoping they're cute, historic, and artsy!

I've always figured 'mid-western' Ontario to be our primary breadbasket. Lots of profitable, well maintained farming operations and towns to support them. Like the limestone theme of eastern Ontario, many of the towns in this area have a signature 'yellow brick' theme - must be the local clay. For some reason, I've always had a bit of soft spot for Seaforth.

Every community on the 'west coast' is going to have a degree of 'touristy' by nature, but some wear it better than others. I don't mind Goderich, even in the summer. However, I wouldn't touch Grand Bend or Sauble Beach with a barge pole.

There are a lot of small communities throughout this area, but for some, it can be a bit of a drive for much more than groceries. A friend retired to Lucknow and made the point that place like Home Depot (or a decent hardware store) or Sears (I'm dating myself here) was a road trip.

I've always figured 'mid-western' Ontario to be our primary breadbasket. Lots of profitable, well maintained farming operations and towns to support them. Like the limestone theme of eastern Ontario, many of the towns in this area have a signature 'yellow brick' theme - must be the local clay. For some reason, I've always had a bit of soft spot for Seaforth.

Every community on the 'west coast' is going to have a degree of 'touristy' by nature, but some wear it better than others. I don't mind Goderich, even in the summer. However, I wouldn't touch Grand Bend or Sauble Beach with a barge pole.

There are a lot of small communities throughout this area, but for some, it can be a bit of a drive for much more than groceries. A friend retired to Lucknow and made the point that place like Home Depot (or a decent hardware store) or Sears (I'm dating myself here) was a road trip.
You are not far wrong and you are dating yourself. Maybe a Sears catalogue store?. And certainly a Home Hardware Building Centre, and possible a Peavey. Home Depot not really required.

I visited Perth, ON last week. Very pretty parks and ponds downtown.
Unless you dined at Maximilians, you missed the best schnitzel on the planet.

And certainly a Home Hardware Building Centre, and possible a Peavey. Home Depot not really required.
Indeed, but you know the general public; if it ain't at Home Depot or Walmart it doesn't exist. My go-to is Home Hardware; although their building centre here is a bit disappointing.

Back