News   Aug 02, 2024
 2.2K     0 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 4.1K     3 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 1.6K     2 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Has anyone seen these? They’re plastered all over Leslieville, couldn’t stop laughing.
Resized_20240802_123531.jpeg

Pretty breathtaking ignorance on Ford's part. Of course, he's trying to justify himself to low-info voters in his base who probably consume too much US political news via FOX, etc.

Pretty breathtaking ignorance on Ford's part. Of course, he's trying to justify himself to low-info voters in his base who probably consume too much US political news via FOX, etc.
Yeah, ironically, new boundaries would have *helped* him, unless it's some kind of "Crombieburbia" phenomenon he fears.

So, w/no change whatsoever, we might have, within a decade, monster electorates akin to some of those in outer Metro Toronto in the 1960s...

Yeah, ironically, new boundaries would have *helped* him, unless it's some kind of "Crombieburbia" phenomenon he fears.

So, w/no change whatsoever, we might have, within a decade, monster electorates akin to some of those in outer Metro Toronto in the 1960s...
Ontario had one additional riding added in the federal redistricting. I don't think the riding boundaries changed all that materially as a result. I'm not sure why Ford is so defensive on this matter.

Ontario had one additional riding added in the federal redistricting. I don't think the riding boundaries changed all that materially as a result. I'm not sure why Ford is so defensive on this matter.
I don't think he understands population growth and population shifts, or how and why riding boundaries are "fluid" in a way that municipal boundaries aren't.

Come to think of it, I wonder if he's still teed off over how his father was robbed of a seat through provincial boundary changes in 1999. (Or just generally, "folks" who are "WTF?!? We're in a different riding now?!?" whenever redistribution arrives)

Come to think of it, I wonder if he's still teed off over how his father was robbed of a seat through provincial boundary changes in 1999. (Or just generally, "folks" who are "WTF?!? We're in a different riding now?!?" whenever redistribution arrives)
I find it very hard to believe many voters care much what riding they are a part of.

I find it very hard to believe many voters care much what riding they are a part of.
I agree with you that most voters really do not care which riding they are in but I suspect most voters want their vote to be worth as much as anyone's vote - i.e. that ridings all have about the same population. That is why governments have organised 'redistributions. "The Constitution of Canada requires that federal electoral districts be reviewed after each decennial (10-year) census to reflect changes and movements in Canada's population. As a result of the review, electoral district boundaries might be changed and new districts created.

The most recent federal redistribution process began in October 2021. First, the Chief Electoral Officer was tasked with applying the representation formula set out in the Constitution to recalculate how many members of Parliament (MPs) needed to be assigned to each province, and the new calculation was published in the Canada Gazette. The process of redistribution was then turned over to independent electoral boundaries commissions, which worked separately in each province to review the electoral boundaries and revise them, if necessary.." See: https://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=res&dir=cir/red&document=index&lang=e

In the past there then used to be separate Provincial and Municipal redistributions but the after the last Federal redistribution the Wynne Liberals agreed to follow the Federal maps - with the exception of adding two extra northern Ridings as the size would otherwise have been huge. Then the Ford government decided to change municipal boundaries (at least in Toronto) so that each Federal/Provincial Constituency/Riding would have two Councillors. This makes great sense as it avoids all three levels of government trying to do approximately the same thing but it does mean that if the Federal redistribution splits a local neighbourhood (which probably does not matter too much) then it also splits the Municipal Ward - where this is probably far more important. (For example, the 2012 Federal redistribution split St Lawrence along the line of The Esplanade - which really makes little sense locally. The 2024 Federal redistricting fixes this as the Ward boundary becomes the rail berm rather than The Esplanade. Personally, I really do not care much which Federal or provincial constituency/Riding I am in - I care far more which WARD I am in as municipal governments deal with things that have far more direct/immediate effect on the lives of people. As Ford is not adopting the 2024 Federal redistributing, the Ontario ridings will become increasingly 'unbalanced' and presumably the municipal Ward boundaries will also become less and less 'fair'.

In the past there then used to be separate Provincial and Municipal redistributions but the after the last Federal redistribution the Wynne Liberals agreed to follow the Federal maps - with the exception of adding two extra northern Ridings as the size would otherwise have been huge. Then the Ford government decided to change municipal boundaries (at least in Toronto) so that each Federal/Provincial Constituency/Riding would have two Councillors. This makes great sense as it avoids all three levels of government trying to do approximately the same thing but it does mean that if the Federal redistribution splits a local neighbourhood (which probably does not matter too much) then it also splits the Municipal Ward - where this is probably far more important. (For example, the 2012 Federal redistribution split St Lawrence along the line of The Esplanade - which really makes little sense locally. The 2024 Federal redistricting fixes this as the Ward boundary becomes the rail berm rather than The Esplanade. Personally, I really do not care much which Federal or provincial constituency/Riding I am in - I care far more which WARD I am in as municipal governments deal with things that have far more direct/immediate effect on the lives of people. As Ford is not adopting the 2024 Federal redistributing, the Ontario ridings will become increasingly 'unbalanced' and presumably the municipal Ward boundaries will also become less and less 'fair'.

Didn't Ford just align the wards exactly with the federal and provincial ridings? There are 25 of each now. And I suppose going forward there will be a discrepancy between the wards/MPPs and the federal riding in a few cases. I think Don Valley East is going away and Scarborough is being parceled out differently.

Back