News   Jul 26, 2024
 889     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.4K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.1K     3 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

No issue is too small to catch Doug's attention!

Somali community centre plan in Etobicoke park facing uncertainty after Doug Ford sides with upset residents​

Honestly it seems more like a consultation failure on the part of the city despite the Ford article title.

However, Buttonwood Park wasn’t revealed as the preferred location until June, just days before a recommendation to approve an initial 30-year land lease with SCCR was set to go to a meeting of Chow’s executive.

Residents taken off guard by the proposal voiced their anger at the June 18 meeting, and the mayor — who voted for the plan in April — agreed that “somehow the process got messed up, and the community didn’t understand or know that it was happening.” Her committee deferred consideration of the plan at least until this month.

With the councilors and Ford supporting a new location, the community centre will definitely find a new location nearby.

Last edited:
I see Dougie is hopping on the bandwagon:

1721770816004.png

Now he can try to claim it was all his doing...

1721770852718.png

Oops. So much for these 600 jobs. Even with heavy government subsidies they couldn't make it work.

Umicore says it has halted spending on a $2.76-billion battery materials plant in eastern Ontario.
The global materials company says it made the decision because of scaled-back expectations for growth in the electric vehicle market.

Last October, the federal government committed to put $551.3 million toward the project and the Ontario government said it would spend up to $424.6 million in capital costs.

Umicore says it is conducting a strategic review of its battery materials and will provide an update in the first quarter of next year.
The plant had previously expected to begin production in 2026 and create around 600 jobs.​

Oops. So much for these 600 jobs. Even with heavy government subsidies they couldn't make it work.

You know, there's not one electric-charger in the parking lots of my apartment complex. Some things need attention if the market for said vehicles is going to grow.

I do hope the government(s) didn't contribute any upfront dollars, and put a hold on any contributions.

You know, there's not one electric-charger in the parking lots of my apartment complex. Some things need attention if the market for said vehicles is going to grow.

I do hope the government(s) didn't contribute any upfront dollars, and put a hold on any contributions.

They are stupidly expensive to install.

I manage Condos for a living and the infrastructure to install EV chargers is cost prohibitive.

It's $50000-ish to install the panel along with the associated breakers. Then you have the wiring, the chargers themselves.

What most Condos do is wait until there are several people who want them. They then divide the installation costs among those people.

A Condo I used to manage was charging almost $8000 a person for a slot on the panel and they had to install their own charger at their cost.

This is one reason why electric vehicles are not so prevalent.

They are a great idea but until the cost to install chargers and infrastructure comes down it won't work.

Our building (about 8 years old) did this recently and the cost they asked for was about $5K ($2K for a share of the central cost, $2K to run it to your parking spot, and $1K for equipment etc.).
Our condo corp managed it for just under $4000 per Unit in 2022 for wiring, legal and a charger. (9 of our 51 Units bought in, though most have only had the wiring installed and do not yet have a charger.)

They are stupidly expensive to install.

I manage Condos for a living and the infrastructure to install EV chargers is cost prohibitive.

It's $50000-ish to install the panel along with the associated breakers. Then you have the wiring, the chargers themselves.

What most Condos do is wait until there are several people who want them. They then divide the installation costs among those people.

A Condo I used to manage was charging almost $8000 a person for a slot on the panel and they had to install their own charger at their cost.

This is one reason why electric vehicles are not so prevalent.

They are a great idea but until the cost to install chargers and infrastructure comes down it won't work.
There are more elegant and cost effective solutions. I think Tesla is head and shoulders ahead in making cost effective charging solutions. Their rapid chargers can be delivered for sometimes 5-10x cheaper per stall than competitors. In recent US government charging station bids, the only reason that Tesla didn't sew up all the stations is because the station count is capped by company (welfare for inefficient high cost charging station operators).

The new NACS standard is designed to be more cost effectively deployed on 400v commercial electrical supply without the need for transformers to step down.

Back