News   Jul 26, 2024
 640     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Waterloo Region Transit Developments (ION LRT, new terminal, GRT buses)

I'd think naming your city after the guy who invented concentration camps would open a bigger can of worms.

I don't see what the issue would be with Berlin now.

Should we rename Baden, Breslau, and New Hamburg too?
Yes to Breslau because it's called Wrocław (Poland) nowadays. :)

^ I wonder what will happen to the historic station building. New restaurant?
I wonder if they're finally get rid of that constant stale urine smell?

Ridership stats for April and May were released: www.grt.ca/en/about-grt/performance-measures.aspx
2023 up to May was 9.83 and 2024 is 12.58M, a 2.75M increase. If this pace keeps it would put 2024 at ~32 million.
ION seems to hover a bit above 0.4 million a month, I wonder is that is a capacity related. If ridership averages out as is it could hit 5 million this year.

Today I went out to Waterloo and got a chance to ride ION end to end. A few questions:

1) In one of the cars I rode, I was standing right next to the driver's cab, and it seemed that at every intersection, the driver pointed at various corners of the intersection, and whenever we made a right turn, he pointed and said something out loud (though, obviously, I couldn't hear what). Is this some mandated type of safety procedure akin to point and acknowledge?

2) Though I was generally impressed by the speediness of the line in its north section (Toronto could take pointers), the journey time between Borden and Fairway was absolutely horrendous (it's as though they took pointers from Toronto), with the final straightaway from Fairway to Traynor Park was particularly heinous. What is the reason for this? A bike clipping along at a fair pace could outrace the tram!

3) Is it banked curves that allow the cars to tackle curves along the high speed sections at speed?

And some observations:

a) the stop announcements are horrendous. No blood in them at all! I don't understand why this is causing problems for so many transit agencies these days. MiWay is another example of a truly horrendous series of stop announcements.

b) the barrier gates seem like a good idea in theory, but in practice they seem kind of half assed. You can't access the corridor from outside, but if you've just disembarked from the tram, there is nothing at all stopping you from getting in its way.

c) I don't know if it's because the cars see less intensive service than the ones in Toronto do, or if it's cause they're younger, but they seem to be in far better shape than the ones in Toronto are. The ION cars seem almost new still, while most of Toronto's exude an aura of neglect and sadness.

Ridership stats for April and May were released: www.grt.ca/en/about-grt/performance-measures.aspx
2023 up to May was 9.83 and 2024 is 12.58M, a 2.75M increase. If this pace keeps it would put 2024 at ~32 million.
ION seems to hover a bit above 0.4 million a month, I wonder is that is a capacity related. If ridership averages out as is it could hit 5 million this year.

Currently tracking ~15% growth from last year, which was an all-time record.

The April 2024 numbers look odd. Every other year, it's fallen from March to April - including pre-Covid. This time, they set records in April, 20% higher than May. But then a huge drop down to May. (May seems consistent).

Did something odd happen in KW in April? If not, these numbers seem suspect. (that said, even without April's surge, they are on track for a record year).

The April 2024 numbers look odd. Every other year, it's fallen from March to April - including pre-Covid. This time, they set records in April, 20% higher than May. But then a huge drop down to May. (May seems consistent).

Did something odd happen in KW in April? If not, these numbers seem suspect. (that said, even without April's surge, they are on track for a record year).

As the ridership is very correlated to post-secondary students (who generally reduce in numbers in the summer months, post-final exams).....I would imagine a correlation between the dates of finals/convocations and move-outs from residence. But that's just a hypothetical, not something I've looked into.....

That makes sense - but I can't see any scenario where it's HIGHER than every other month this year. Looking at the UW calendar (normally WLU is the same), the last day of classes this year was April 8 - and last year it was April 10.

I think they've made an error.

Today I went out to Waterloo and got a chance to ride ION end to end. A few questions:

1) In one of the cars I rode, I was standing right next to the driver's cab, and it seemed that at every intersection, the driver pointed at various corners of the intersection, and whenever we made a right turn, he pointed and said something out loud (though, obviously, I couldn't hear what). Is this some mandated type of safety procedure akin to point and acknowledge?

2) Though I was generally impressed by the speediness of the line in its north section (Toronto could take pointers), the journey time between Borden and Fairway was absolutely horrendous (it's as though they took pointers from Toronto), with the final straightaway from Fairway to Traynor Park was particularly heinous. What is the reason for this? A bike clipping along at a fair pace could outrace the tram!

3) Is it banked curves that allow the cars to tackle curves along the high speed sections at speed?

And some observations:

a) the stop announcements are horrendous. No blood in them at all! I don't understand why this is causing problems for so many transit agencies these days. MiWay is another example of a truly horrendous series of stop announcements.

b) the barrier gates seem like a good idea in theory, but in practice they seem kind of half assed. You can't access the corridor from outside, but if you've just disembarked from the tram, there is nothing at all stopping you from getting in its way.

c) I don't know if it's because the cars see less intensive service than the ones in Toronto do, or if it's cause they're younger, but they seem to be in far better shape than the ones in Toronto are. The ION cars seem almost new still, while most of Toronto's exude an aura of neglect and sadness.
The pointing by the drivers and saying x is a common thing in Europe as it helps them to be more focus and aware of their surrounding and not glue to looking straight ahead and be bore.

Been too long since I last rode ION to reply to your questions and comments and let other reply to them. Been on my do list the last 18 months but haven't found the time to do it.

Back