News   Aug 16, 2024
 305     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 368     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 297     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Interesting piece in the Globe today, in which former BC Chief Coroner and Vancouver Mayor Larry Campbell (on whom the TV series Da Vinci's Inquest was loosely based) has come out opposing 'safe supply' drug programs and generally espousing a shift away from harm reduction in favour of treatment.

This is notable, because Mr. Campbell was a champion of legalization of marijuana, of harm reduction, and other like measures, long before those ideas were fashionable.

From the above:

1721224694695.png

1721224716851.png

1721224769525.png

So he hasn't gone all regressive and Lock'em up.............but rather has said, Canada has been over invested in an under-performing strategy due in large part to a lack of investment on the treatment/recovery side.

I'm 100% with him on this, and I hope we course correct thoughtfully.

Interestingly, he spends some time speaking positively about Alberta's current direction, having established new in-patient treatment facilities where patients/residents can stay up to one year in order to get clean and stay clean before rejoining the community.

Very much worth a read.

Paywall free: https://archive.is/7Nhrn

Of course we have to spend money deporting those who are here illegally. What’s the alternative, we build a US-like permanent underclass of undocumented but economically essential workers? In the US, over 3% of the population is illegally residing in the country. Let’s not model Canada on this.

If you’re not a citizen, permanent resident, convention refugee (or on refugee case exam wait list), or on a student or work visa, you cannot stay in Canada. If we want to reduce the number of illegals we need to do a better job on who we let in, refugees aside.

Last edited:
What’s the alternative, we build a US-like permanent underclass of undocumented but economically essential workers? In the US, over 3% of the population is illegally residing in the country. Let’s not model Canada on this.

We are well on our way to achieving this, regrettably. A higher percentage of said underclass is here lawfully than in the U.S., though not by so much.....

A column from the Globe looking at the very high churn rate of Federal Deputy Ministers in the Federal government:

This is the key bit:

View attachment 581347
I can only see what you extracted, but it would be interesting to know the 'why'. Are they leaving the public service completely (even that has a lot of 'whys' behind it), moved between departments, etc.?

Although their appointment is still a legally a cabinet decision, I recall reading quite some time ago that the the actual selection has been centralized the the PMO.

I am reminded of the quote attributed to Petronius Arbiter, that governments are firm students of:

"We trained hard-but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form into teams, we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and what a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency and demoralization."

I think Justin Trudeau has given up on winning the next election. He has checked out. Since the Toronto St Paul byelection there has been no sense of urgency to change direction in terms of policy and even tone.
Doing the same things and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.
They know the carbon tax is costing them votes across the Country and they know that is party has gone too far left.
Justin Trudeau hasn't taken questions from the media since July 3 and has no plan to pull the liberals out the 20 percent hole they find themselves in.
You don't need Mark Carney to tell you what you are doing isn't working.
I believe he wants to go down with the ship he has created and let a new leader rebuilt the party after the Federal election. That may be good for him, but it is unfair to
the 155 liberal MPs who want to keep their jobs. In my view what he is going a very selfish.
He should step down so the liberals can find a leader who has a better chance at winning the next Federal election.

Evidence?

I'm sure this time you'll have proof of this claim the fourth time you've posted it?
I have a question for you? Do you think Justin Trudeau has acted like someone who wants to win the next election? His party is projected to lose 89 seats in next election.
The Conservatives are projected to win 213 seats.
The Liberals have been down 20% in the polls for over a year and 70% of Canadians want Justin Trudeau to resign.
Have his policies changed? Nope Messaging? Nope Does he have a plan to turn things around? Nope

What more evidence do you want.

I have a question for you? Do you think Justin Trudeau has acted like someone who wants to win the next election? His party is projected to lose 89 seats in next election.
The Conservatives are projected to win 213 seats.
The Liberals have been down 20% in the polls for over a year and 70% of Canadians want Justin Trudeau to resign.
Have his policies changed? Nope Messaging? Nope Does he have a plan to turn things around? Nope

What more evidence do you want.

The above may be a basis on which to discuss whether the Federal Liberal party has a solid strategy aimed at being re-elected...........

What it is not is proof of any kind that the party has gone 'too far left'.

You have yet to clearly articulate what that means, which 'left-wing' policies you feel they've adopted that are out of line with their own political base or the broader electorate.

In order to make that case you need to identify one or more policies, persuasively argue they they would be categorized as 'left' in the Canadian political context, and then show that said policies correlate with any shift in voter intentions.

There is no question the Libs are slumping in popularity, but I would argue this is a function of runaway immigration, particularly in the form of foreign students and TFWs, which has been approved as a sop to big business to suppress wages, while incidentally driving up the cost of housing putting it further out of reach for more people and making it more of a strain for many more.

I think that's bad public policy, but I would argue its closer to neo-liberal than it is leftist.

I see no one gritting their teeth over $10 per day daycare, or dental coverage for low or lower-middle income folks (to date, mostly seniors, youth, and the disabled).

While I think the deficit is too high (as it was under Harper as well), I don't see widespread complaints about that either.

Its housing, housing, housing, and wage stagnation.

Last edited:
The above may be a basis on which to discuss whether the Federal Liberal party has a solid strategy aimed at being re-elected...........

What it is not is proof of any kind that the party has gone 'too far left'.

You have yet to clearly articulate what that means, which 'left-wing' policies you feel they've adopted that are out of line with their own political base or the broader electorate.

In order to make that case you need to identify one or more policies, persuasively argue they they would be categorized as 'left' in the Canadian political context, and then show that said policies correlate with any shift in voter intentions.

There is no question the Libs are slumping in popularity, but I would argue this is a function of runaway immigration, particularly in the form of foreign students and TFWs, which has been approved as a sop to big business to suppress wages, while incidentally driving up the cost of housing putting it further out of reach for more people and making it more of a strain for many more.

I think that's bad public policy, but I would argue its closer to neo-liberal than it is leftist.

I see no one gritting their teeth over $10 per day daycare, or dental coverage for low or lower-middle income folks (to date, mostly seniors, youth, and the disabled).

While I think the deficit is too high (as it was under Harper as well), I don't see widespread complaints about that either.

Its housing, housing, housing, and wage stagnation.
This Star cartoon from Wednesday seems appropriate here!

1721395636175.png

Reactions: PL1
I can only see what you extracted, but it would be interesting to know the 'why'. Are they leaving the public service completely (even that has a lot of 'whys' behind it), moved between departments, etc.?

The pay-responsibility ratio is poor. Authority is low. And governments these days (on both sides) are exceptionally partisan and meddlesome. The value of that rank level is to prove you can do it, to get a decent private sector job. At my last post, our one leaf general left to be an Amazon Canada exec after like a year and a half. At a luncheon visiting somebody else, said he got paid more and was doing less and responsible for less. And he was collecting his pension, so he was exceptionally better off.

Back