News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 378     0 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

Just to put some numbers to it, Toronto on average gets 122 cm of snow every year. Montreal gets 210 cm. But Montreal has nothing on Barrie, which gets 286 cm every year.

Toronto gets more snow than people tend to give it credit for though. We get roughly the same about as anywhere in the Prairies.

Just to put some numbers to it, Toronto on average gets 122 cm of snow every year. Montreal gets 210 cm. But Montreal has nothing on Barrie, which gets 286 cm every year.

Toronto gets more snow than people tend to give it credit for though. We get roughly the same about as anywhere in the Prairies.
I think we can rely on periodic melts more than Montreal. It's less of a matter of how much snowfall we get. If it accumulates all season that becomes a problem.

Folks, can someone explain why the Adelaide bike lane was moved to the north side of the street? Does it have something to do with Ontario Line construction and the streetcar diversions?

What used to be among the fastest, most convenient bike lanes in the city has become nearly useless. The new left turn arrows for cars have doubled wait times at each light, and the left turn lane is nearly always empty, so you sit there waiting for nothing. It is now extremely dangerous to turn right against three lanes of traffic. Who in their right mind thought that this was an improvement? Did they just hand over bike lane planning to carbrained traffic engineers?

And on top of that, there is that improperly installed island at the York St intersection

Reactions: PL1
Folks, can someone explain why the Adelaide bike lane was moved to the north side of the street? Does it have something to do with Ontario Line construction and the streetcar diversions?

What used to be among the fastest, most convenient bike lanes in the city has become nearly useless. The new left turn arrows for cars have doubled wait times at each light, and the left turn lane is nearly always empty, so you sit there waiting for nothing. It is now extremely dangerous to turn right against three lanes of traffic. Who in their right mind thought that this was an improvement? Did they just hand over bike lane planning to carbrained traffic engineers?

And on top of that, there is that improperly installed island at the York St intersection
It was moved to north side to reduce conflicts with parking garage entrances and I actually think it works pretty well and I do feel much safer using it . The strange island at Adelaide and York was explained a bit up this thread - something to do with pedestrians but I agree it is very confusing for everyone - I guess it may be better when they turn on the new traffic lights at that intersection.

@DSC is entirely correct, as per the norm.

But just to offer the official blurb:

1720907311408.png

From: https://www.toronto.ca/services-pay...oronto/cycling-pedestrian-projects/rich-adel/

Reactions: DSC

Back