News   Jul 12, 2024
 891     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 801     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 332     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

equating the homes and workplaces of hundreds of thousands to ‘basically nothing except for the zoo’ is pretty rude and ignorant
That's a pretty low bar for what constitutes rude and ignorant. Is it also rude and ignorant to characterize remote, far flung communities as 'being in the middle of nowhere', seeing as everywhere is somewhere to someone? It's called using rhetoric to make a point, in this case being that there is not a compelling amount of trip generators in eastern Scarborough to justify a subway. Nowhere did I deny that the suburbs should have good transit or deny the existence of people living there.

I can say far harsher things about the suburbs than I did in that post. I suggest you direct your outrage into more constructive channels.

This is a great option but I wish the software would allow you to outright block the user so they can't see any of your posts or reactions.

Saves pulling my hair out dealing with the "holier than thou" members on this forum. Not all of us have Phd's in Urban Planning.

I know I have discussed this in the SSE thread but based on current bus routes (which can obviously change) which stations the bus routes terminate at would likely be:

McCowan/Sheppard:
85 Sheppard East
16 McCowan (assuming it is extended north)
129 McCowan North (May continue to STC)
130 Middlefield
131 Nugget
132 Milner
169 Huntingwood
939A/B Finch East Express
920 (Durham Transit)

Scarborough Centre
9 Bellamy
16 McCowan
21 Brimley
38 Highland Creek
43B Kennedy
129 McCowan North (assuming it continues to STC)
133 Neilson Road
134 Progress
178 Brimorton (assuming this route is implemented)
938 Highland Creek Express
996 Wilson Express (Honestly this route should terminate at York Mills, and have a branch of the 995 serve STC)
900 (Durham Transit) (assuming it is extended to STC)
GO Bus Routes (41, 92, 94, 96B) (These could be moved to McCowan/Sheppard if GO and the TTC want)
Intercity Buses (These could be moved to McCowan/Sheppard)

To me the wild cards are the 16/129 McCowan buses as either the 16 will be extended to Sheppard/McCowan (and the 129 cut-back) or the status quo will be maintained with both the 16 and 129 continuing to terminate at STC. The GO and Intercity Buses are also up in the area as they can terminate at either STC or McCowan/Sheppard it just depends on where the intercity bus terminal will be built. Both stations could potentially have DRT connections although the Ellemsere BRT could change how DRT serves Scarborough; would the 920 still run if the BRT was operational and the 900 was extended to STC instead?

It seems to make more since to have 16 McCowan terminate at STC, 129 McCowan North to terminate at Sheppard-McCowan. There wouldn't a lot of demand in that area between the two stations to have those two routes overlap between STC and Sheppard. Having 132 Milner would be good enough to serve the area anyways since Milner is just above the 401, and the STC station would be right below the highway so a connector route won't be necessary.

As for 21 Brimley, if the Sheppard subway ends up having a station at Brimley/Sheppard, it's more likely that they'll cut off the branch that goes straight to STC and have that be replaced by the 43B Kennedy bus, since the station will be closer to McCowan than to Brimley.

Think the 953 Steeles East Express should be added to the list, the TTC released a conceptual bus map back when they were still going with the one stop STC subway and it included having that route terminate at STC. In this case, it'll be wise to have it terminate at Sheppard-McCowan. It will help a lot of commuters from that part of North Scarborough/South Markham with more efficient access to the subway

Last edited:
Hear me on this:

About 2 years ago, the city council decided that the Sheppard East corridor would get LRT and not subway. Then the province said they would not start until 2017. Now, it's after the election. But what if the new city council reopens the sheppard debate, and the decides on the Subway. I think Tory would cave, but what about Chow or Soknancki? A very tiny part of me thinks that after the election city council will want to go back to the Sheppard subway, especially those Councillors out east. It will go from now we have one subway, to why don't we have two like North York? Another issue is if this happens, what does Hudak, or Wynne do then? How do we pay for it?

Discuss.
@denfromoakvillemilton I guess this aged well.

Back