News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.9K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 655     1 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

I'm not so sure that a new leader would do all that much in the time they have. The entire front bench as well as the party mechanism has been drinking the same Kool-Aid as the PM for a long time and it seems they view their polling problem is either a problem of communications or simply it's just us - we need to be made to see that they are the truth and the light. There is a lot of their core policy that the electorate simply doesn't like and I'm not sure a new leader and team, certainly one from the outside like Carney, would have the time to turn the ship around.
I agree, but I know people are sick of Justin Trudeau. It is not new. People were sick of Barack Obama in his final term, people are sick of Emmanuel Macron.

Nine years is well passed your best before date.

It also doesn't help that the Liberals policies have shifted to the far left.

The whole point of a carbon tax is to make burning carbon more expensive so that people drive less and over time get more efficient vehicles. The Liberals just refused to actually own that, so they are stuck with the worst of both worlds. Which is why the carbon tax is a dead man walking, if it's biggest defenders won't bother defending it's basic point.

There is a lot of their core policy that the electorate simply doesn't like and I'm not sure a new leader and team, certainly one from the outside like Carney, would have the time to turn the ship around.

Even if they have the time - why would *anyone* be crazy enough to do so and be set up to fail (think what Paul Martin didn't learn in the early 00s).

On the immigration front - I suspect Trudeau Jr. is trying the same trick as Trudeau Sr. did - attempting to create a new cohort of highly loyal Liberal party voters that would serve as the basis of a future electoral bloc. I don't think it will work out the same way as it did back in the late 60s/70s though.

AoD

I don't know if any of the "Ford' stickers are still there, but the public knows there is a carbon 'tax' and fuel prices are high. Dots can be connected.
The dots are what the right wing media and their uncle on facebook tell them they are.
None of them are screeching about the provincial tax on gas, which the conservative government could eliminate if they cared so much about it.
Nor are they barking about the profit gouging the gas companies are do that make up the majority of the price of gas.

But they are more than willing to parrot that the carbon tax is crushing them with an extra $7 on a full tank of gas.

The dots are what the right wing media and their uncle on facebook tell them they are.
None of them are screeching about the provincial tax on gas, which the conservative government could eliminate if they cared so much about it.
Nor are they barking about the profit gouging the gas companies are do that make up the majority of the price of gas.

But they are more than willing to parrot that the carbon tax is crushing them with an extra $7 on a full tank of gas.
Doug Ford actually did lower provincial gas taxes temporarily.

From the Globe:

This is unacceptable and represented the use of public resources at a critical time for private interests to the detriment of the priorities of the country. Sajjan should be hauled before an inquiry for what appears to be extremely poor judgement for someone this high up the food chain.

AoD

Last edited:
Even if they have the time - why would *anyone* be crazy enough to do so and be set up to fail (think what Paul Martin didn't learn in the early 00s).

On the immigration front - I suspect Trudeau Jr. is trying the same trick as Trudeau Sr. did - attempting to create a new cohort of highly loyal Liberal party voters that would serve as the basis of a future electoral bloc. I don't think it will work out the same way as it did back in the late 60s/70s though.

AoD

This would run counter to current seat projections which have the Conservatives winning diverse communities in the GTA like Brampton and Markham.

I recall listening to a Canadian political scientist talk about how many immigrant communities rally around the perceived frontrunners, moving between parties depending on the political winds.

This would run counter to current seat projections which have the Conservatives winning diverse communities in the GTA like Brampton and Markham.

I recall listening to a Canadian political scientist talk about how many immigrant communities rally around the perceived frontrunners, moving between parties depending on the political winds.

You have to look at the immigrant cohort as well - it isn't necessarily the same demographic that benefitted from the relaxation of the rules directly in the period I've mentioned. I am sure the front-runner rally is also a real effect (especially for those who are interested in directly influencing politics - I don't mean it in an illegitimate way). You also have to look at immigrant social values, influence of ethnomedia, etc.

AoD

The writing is on the wall for Justin Trudeau. And I voted for him. After nine years and questionable policies, Canadians want change.

Sajjan prioritized Afghan Sikhs over actual Canadian citizens and Afghans who risked their lives to help Canadian troops. And he's now trying to play the race card.

Gawd. What a racist a......

Back