News   Jun 17, 2024
 112     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 174     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 328     0 

Toronto Media Landscape and Personalities

I was not a Rex fan.

He was very articulate and loquacious, traits for which I do have an appreciation, and respect.

I also agreed w/the odd position he took, he didn't get 'em all wrong.

But even when he was young he seemed to have grumpy old man 'Get off my lawn' syndrome.

He was prone to being reactionary, even when his extraordinary vocabulary might make you inclined to think a position was well considered.

He was not my cup of tea, so to speak; still the country will be lesser for his now gone input. Because even when in error, he challenged others to raise the caliber of their arguments, and the thoughtfulness of their choice of words.

My sympathies to those who loved him; and valued his contributions.

I was not a Rex fan.

He was very articulate and loquacious, traits for which I do have an appreciation, and respect.

I also agreed w/the odd position he took, he didn't get 'em all wrong.

But even when he was young he seemed to have grumpy old man 'Get off my lawn' syndrome.

He was prone to being reactionary, even when his extraordinary vocabulary might make you inclined to think a position was well considered.

He was not my cup of tea, so to speak; still the country will be lesser for his now gone input. Because even when in error, he challenged others to raise the caliber of their arguments, and the thoughtfulness of their choice of words.

My sympathies to those who loved him; and valued his contributions.
Growing up as a kid in the 80's, he'd often appear on the tv to give vitriolic commentary about this and that, but because of his look, I could never take him seriously. The intensely bulging eyes, permanently arched eyebrows, beak-like lips and fluffy, thinning afro made him look like an owl-esque cartoon character, or one of the Muppets.

but because of his look, I could never take him seriously. The intensely bulging eyes, permanently arched eyebrows, beak-like lips and fluffy, thinning afro made him look like an owl-esque cartoon character, or one of the Muppets.
Muppets indeed! I always thought he looked like a combo of Bert and Beeker and a little of Sam Eagle from Sesame Street.

Bert and Beeker.jpg
Screenshot 2024-05-10 150101.png
1715367737499.png

Darren was probably one of the longest tenured of the current TSN on-air staff, starting in 1995.
57 years-old.
He had prostate cancer in 2021, so I assume his death is related to that in some fashion.

No names (yet) but this is looking grim. https://www.thestar.com/business/gl...cle_c4f4e7d8-2998-11ef-9bb7-e33aa8e6c23c.html

Global News is laying off dozens of the outlet’s employees across the country.
The move comes as Corus Entertainment, the company that owns Global News, 32 other television stations and 39 radio stations, continues to cut expenses — and on the heels of massive media layoffs at Bell and CBC in the last six months.
Corus is eliminating 35 unionized positions, including seven in Toronto and 24 in Alberta, according to an email sent by Unifor Media One, the union representing Global employees, and shared with the Star.
“These changes correlate with the current economic and regulatory reality we, and other media organizations, find ourselves in,” Global News spokesperson Anna Arnone told The Canadian Press in a statement. “We are continuously working to improve the way we gather, produce and deliver award winning content.”

• Sad
Reactions: PL1
No names (yet) but this is looking grim. https://www.thestar.com/business/gl...cle_c4f4e7d8-2998-11ef-9bb7-e33aa8e6c23c.html

Global News is laying off dozens of the outlet’s employees across the country.
The move comes as Corus Entertainment, the company that owns Global News, 32 other television stations and 39 radio stations, continues to cut expenses — and on the heels of massive media layoffs at Bell and CBC in the last six months.
Corus is eliminating 35 unionized positions, including seven in Toronto and 24 in Alberta, according to an email sent by Unifor Media One, the union representing Global employees, and shared with the Star.
“These changes correlate with the current economic and regulatory reality we, and other media organizations, find ourselves in,” Global News spokesperson Anna Arnone told The Canadian Press in a statement. “We are continuously working to improve the way we gather, produce and deliver award winning content.”

I see that this is on the back of Rogers winning from Corus the rights to some popular US lifestyle cable channel brands like HGTV and The Food Network which I believe are probably money prints for Corus as the content is very inexpensive to produce and they have a core group of followers that sit right in the "we still have cable" demographic. I think of my mother in her 70's who watches The Food Network all the time, even though she is never going to actually make any of the stuff, and some of these shows are literally just nothing more than people going around and eating stuff.
I don't get it, but I see there's lots of ads for prescription drugs, luxury car brands, health and lifestyle products and generally everything appears to be an advertisement for people over 65.

Last edited:
I see that this is on the back of Rogers winning from Corus the rights to some popular brands US lifestyle cable channels like HGTV and The Food Network .....

I agree with the linkage here.

But its worth saying Corus was having issues going back months, at least, they petitioned the CRTC to lessen their cancon requirements not that long ago (and got that approval).

I have to wonder (but don't know) if those financial challenges impeded renewing their content licenses here.

They still retain ownership of those 'channels' and spots on the dial; but will now have to rename them and find new imported programming. There will also likely be some awkward stuff to work out w/some of their
stars whose content also appears on HGTV in the U.S. (less of an issue for FOOD)

Frankly, this really leaves Corus very reliant on Global which not been that great a performer through the years. Moreso than Bell for whom this is also an issue, they lack original content they can sell/license around the world.

They are basically just an American content rebroadcaster w/local commercials with an under-invested in news division and a couple of CRTC-mandated Cancon efforts of varying quality.

HGTV was their one bright spot, diminished somewhat after Bell poached Mike Holmes.

Back