Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Why redirect it to the highway? Why not just leave it along Don Mills? The only benefit this allignment has is better serving seneca which... okay?
There is a lot of employment at Woodbine & Steeles. Keeping it on Don Mills only gets you low density residential.

Don Mills also isn't as wide north of Steeles, which means less room for an elevated guideway.

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right thread for this question but I'm thinking of buying a house on Pape st just north of the Danforth where the Ontario line subway tunnel will go through right under the house. Does anyone have any insight on the noise/vibration level of these trains (e.g. if I would feel or hear these trains living inside the house)?

I'm assuming this can't be good for the property value given the future construction around this area but any insight on the long-term effects would be appreciated!

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right thread for this question but I'm thinking of buying a house on Pape st just north of the Danforth where the Ontario line subway tunnel will go through right under the house. Does anyone have any insight on the noise/vibration level of these trains (e.g. if I would feel or hear these trains living inside the house)?

I'm assuming this can't be good for the property value given the future construction around this area but any insight on the long-term effects would be appreciated!
I think in that area you're more likely to feel vibration from line 2, not OL.

Hi everyone,

You'll get used to any vibration or nose from the subway and will only notice it when it's not there and then you will check to see if there is a problem on the line.

Seneca is big, we shouldn't dismiss the impact of an educational institution on ridership
Why redirect it to the highway? Why not just leave it along Don Mills? The only benefit this allignment has is better serving seneca which... okay?
I agree with @ARG1. Seneca College is a 3 minute walk from Don Mills/Finch. Just leave the RF North there, or even Steeles. Expand to YR once an alignment is agreed upon.

Last edited:
I agree with @ARG1. Seneca College is a 3 minute walk from Don Mills/Finch. Just the RF North there, or even Steeles. Expand to YR once an alignment is agreed upon.

People who will take to Ontario Line are generally on the east side because line 1 exists. Bringing the line to 404/Steeles provides better connections to TTC/YRT buses and even GO buses that run on Hwy 404. Plus, there isn't much space for a bus terminal at Don Mills/Steeles.

Pathetic Toronto Star back at it... Guess it must be a slow day down there. No alternatives discussed. Pointless article.

okay this is a funny article:

Whatever the technology, there is simply no need for the Ontario Line; there is a cheaper and faster way to deliver all we’ve been promised it will deliver. It’s a GO plan from 1985 when another vote-chasing scheme known as Network 2011 was trundled before voters. Designed by the TTC and endorsed by the province, it called for a Downtown Relief Line heavy rail subway plus others on Sheppard E. and Eglinton W.
GO proposed connecting and boosting frequency on the inner sections of its rush-hour-only Georgetown and Richmond Hill commuter rail services, diverting the latter up the CP Don Branch from Union Station to Leaside. It could have been extended to Don Mills on a CN line the City of Toronto has since turned into a pathway

"JuSt UsE rIcHmOnd hIlL lINe" LOL

Thats his only argument jfc

People who will take to Ontario Line are generally on the east side because line 1 exists. Bringing the line to 404/Steeles provides better connections to TTC/YRT buses and even GO buses that run on Hwy 404. Plus, there isn't much space for a bus terminal at Don Mills/Steeles.
There is a shopping mall at Don Mills and Steeles. I haven't been up there in a while but I imagine there is enough space there?

Gormick is obviously subtweeting Michael Schabas in that op-ed, and I grabbed the popcorn as I read that.

(Schabas himself made a similar argument that we don’t need a relief line because GO Expansion in a very problematic review of provincial/Metrolinx projects 8 years ago. Now he’s consulting for Metrolinx and pushed forward his own DRL vision.)

Otherwise this op-ed is terrible. There are things I don’t like about the Ontario Line, and I have my continued suspicions of Metrolinx, but the OL helps fill many needs, and while closing two blocks of Queen Street for 5 years is ridiculously long, you have to tear up streets sometimes to build transit.

Though I enjoyed the comments about Schabas, it read like a tantrum more than an informed article. This is unfortunate, as Gormick did some fine work on passenger rail consulting and advocacy.

There is a shopping mall at Don Mills and Steeles. I haven't been up there in a while but I imagine there is enough space there?

Back when there was a magical plan called Transit City, the Don Mills LRT was supposed to go by here. There was a very significant redevelopment plan but it's either very dormant or totally dead - but there's space, FWIW.

But, yeah, it's amazing that this guy's argument is absorb 100s of millions in sunk costs and go back, not to the previous transit plan or the one before that or even the one before that and not even the one before that - the one from 1985!! Is that the one where the Yonge line came up to Steeles and looped over to York U? I mean, so much has changed since then, I'm actually embarrassed for the guy. Not just "transit" plans or the entire existence of The Big Move and Metrolinx but comprehensive regional plan with designated growth centres etc. And his main complaint - the final straw - seems to be them tearing up a small section of Queen Street for a few years. Duh. Wait until he hears how they originally built the Yonge line downtown!

There are lots of specifics to attack but it's mostly not worth it. He doesn't like Metrolinx and that's fine - he's not alone! But focusing on his issues with its specific creation, as if every "World Class City" doesn't have a regional transit authority of some sort is eye-rolling. And of course, it's a classic of the genre to look at a map and talk about how amazing the RH GO line is, because you have no idea it runs through the Don Valley, isn't wholly owned by GO, is subject to flooding etc.

I get that Doug Ford is a boob and if the Star wants to take shots at him, go for it. But this sort of delusional stuff is really just counter-productive.

Back