Toronto 290 Old Weston Road | 98.55m | 29s | i-Squared | TACT Architecture

Very interesting update in that PDF.

I found this interesting as well: "The proposed height does not provide sufficient transition to the adjacent Neighbourhood, which applies to the existing adjacent houses and the houses on the east side of Old Weston Road. The combination of shadow impact and overall contrast in scale relative to the small two-storey houses on Old Weston Road causes excessive negative impact on the Neighbourhood." Page 12

While transition to neighbourhoods may have merit in some cases, these homes along Old Weston will not be long for this world. Someone will scoop them up and go for a 8-storey midrise there one day.

We're building a new station, railpath connection, new streets and to not build in sufficient density because a couple houses might have some shadowing... it boggles the mind. But that's the state of the City's OP which zealously protects existing homeowners. Younger generation be damned.

If this goes to LPAT, i suspect very little will change and the new units will just cost more in the end.

I'm all for the City trying to secure more employment GFA on-site (depends on what office market can sustain though)

Very interesting update in that PDF.

I found this interesting as well: "The proposed height does not provide sufficient transition to the adjacent Neighbourhood, which applies to the existing adjacent houses and the houses on the east side of Old Weston Road. The combination of shadow impact and overall contrast in scale relative to the small two-storey houses on Old Weston Road causes excessive negative impact on the Neighbourhood." Page 12

Better get rid of High Park then, the transition here really is too jarring. I’m worried about the value of these houses from the “excessive negative impact” of the buildings beyond.

EDF28A13-4F8D-4B12-91A4-D905C2A566E5.jpeg

Better get rid of High Park then, the transition here really is too jarring. I’m worried about the value of these houses from the “excessive negative impact” of the buildings beyond.

10 storey building in the backyard of the homes on Gothic Ave vs 29 storey building across the street probably provides for a very similar amount of overlook and shadowing. The difference is that 80 Quebec in your photo is part of a large, dense cluster of tall buildings whereas the proposed here would stand alone. All nearby condo developments are approx half the height HOWEVER it must be noted the city is expropriating a chunk of this site to extend Davenport with bike lanes which reduces their footprint greatly as the southern end of the site comes to a non-usable wedge. I'm not sure if the current rail easement there allows for additional track to be laid down if necessitated by SmartTrack. I don't disagree that increased density in this area is good, but we'll see what that balance is.

Local residents were distributed notices the other day for an upcoming LPAT CMC (Case Management Conference) on June 16 at 10:00am regarding this issue.

SmartTrack doesn't use MacTier. Any operations will go through the current Georgetown South cuts so no new rail is necessary. If the GO Bolton plan ever gets revived, that might change, but for now that was little more than fantasy.

Regarding height, lots of stuff here is limited by the KN Rubber facility to the south west. I'm not sure how this one escapes the plume (I'm sure there's a map), but things like Carlyle Junction did get caught and limited by it, as did Reunion Crossing to the north east.

I know that Cesar Palacio was trying to relocate the facility when he was in office, but with all the new developments in the area there will certainly be renewed interest to have it moved because the odour is very prominent at times. They do recycle tires, which is a huge benefit, but it's yet another large slice of land in a hotly developing residential area increasing in density.

Some background on KN Rubber's (formerly National Rubber Technologies) role in shaping the area:

I know that Cesar Palacio was trying to relocate the facility when he was in office, but with all the new developments in the area there will certainly be renewed interest to have it moved because the odour is very prominent at times. They do recycle tires, which is a huge benefit, but it's yet another large slice of land in a hotly developing residential area increasing in density.

Some background on KN Rubber's (formerly National Rubber Technologies) role in shaping the area:

I think it was during a recent meeting about the St. Clair / Keele / Old Weston area that it was mentioned that KN/NRT are moving out sometime in the next few years. Seems they're already trying to lease out part of the space (signs on building).

1622528337163.png

*of note, no related applications are shown for this property in the AIC.

** I notice several posters in multiple threads are reporting recent issues w/the AIC, so the above maybe just that.

Back