Toronto Islington Station Redevelopment | 7.85m | 1s | TTC | AECOM

The biggest issue on this site is the ridiculous 'pavilion' bus terminal. Why is that not within the podium of another two-tower structure? There's also *so much* wasted space around the proposed four towers.

I'm 100% with you on the bus terminal.

Not sure I see the space around the towers as wasted.

There's one cut-through path from Bloor to the new street in behind, that's the sort of porosity we all talk about wanting in developments.

There's one 'plaza' like space which may or may not make sense depending on design quality, but could be a nice space for patios or such.

The green in behind is entirely under the hydro wires.

From what I see for the new TTC terminal now is slightly change from what I saw years ago and the entrance removed at street level that was to have a walk in to get to the elevators for the platform. An elevator is still require for the new bus terminal.

Have no issues with the tall towers been plan with one or two being rentals. It possible that pay public parking will replace the surface lot underground and some surface under the hydro towers. Still got the lot to the west of Bloor to use for parking for this station.

TTC needs to start on the elevators this year and no later than 2022 to meet the 2025 drop dead date.

Surprise TTC hasn't move the buses to the south like they said they were going to do once miWay left the station.

Based on the towers to the north, 2030 looks like when construction will be completed and this may change base on who building. Will not be surprise to see Tridel building these towers.

From what I see for the new TTC terminal now is slightly change from what I saw years ago and the entrance removed at street level that was to have a walk in to get to the elevators for the platform. An elevator is still require for the new bus terminal.

Have no issues with the tall towers been plan with one or two being rentals. It possible that pay public parking will replace the surface lot underground and some surface under the hydro towers. Still got the lot to the west of Bloor to use for parking for this station.

TTC needs to start on the elevators this year and no later than 2022 to meet the 2025 drop dead date.

Surprise TTC hasn't move the buses to the south like they said they were going to do once miWay left the station.

Based on the towers to the north, 2030 looks like when construction will be completed and this may change base on who building. Will not be surprise to see Tridel building these towers.

I really hope it gets rolling ASAP. I can't stand the sight of this dreary bunker on such a prominent corner.

From the looks of the Create TO presentation - the TTC is sticking with the single storey bus terminal with no overbuild.
Shameful really, what a waste. I get they can't build high in the Hydro corridor or where Islington station is underneath - but not even a mid rise building, spreading from the podium of the proposed towers?
Or a community use atop the terminal? Complete lack of engagement from TTC, with single minded, suburban design.
Screenshot 2021-04-30 at 16.18.01.png

At least there's a little bit of pedestrian focused design - with a new TTC entrance proposed south of the (overly large) entrance to the bus terminal
Screenshot 2021-04-30 at 16.22.26.png

Wow the terminal is bigger than I thought it would be, i'll certainly take that. 3 Bus Bays plus bus adequate lay-by room for a couple more (maybe about ~2 buses not counting the employee parking spaces but the initial looks).

I was not expecting the new station entrance so that threw me for a loop as another pleasant surprise. I thought they were just going to cheap out and add a section to the existing southwest entrance. Overall i'm pretty pleased.

The best ultimate solution wouldve been having the terminal at the base of a tower development, but I digress.

In terms of what may have been do-able, I have highlighted the area that is the City's property, not Hydro's.........which was available to use.

1623348324415.png

Anything north-west of the yellow area is Hydro One's property.

Nominally, the area seems large enough to have done something with, it's about 3160M2.

What I'm not sure about is what set back requirements are from high voltage transmission lines (I know it's 4.8M from the poles on the street).

Below is a crudely drawn slimmed down area with an approx. 5M setback (not 100% accurate). It shrinks the site profile to 1800M2. Which is still a good size.

1623348606231.png

Back