Vaughan 7800 Jane | 192.93m | 60s | Aspen Ridge | BDP Quadrangle

^I'll agree with you there, the podium definitely either needs to be broken up or redesigned to have a unique design that really makes it pop.

678 residential parking spaces for 1203 units ?
Nearest supermarket - Walmart on Portage Parkway. Not an easy walking distance.
I wonder how sales will go.

678 residential parking spaces for 1203 units ?
Nearest supermarket - Walmart on Portage Parkway. Not an easy walking distance.
I wonder how sales will go.
With all of the buildings going up around here, one of them's gotta end up with a full-fledged grocery store in its base, and this one is large enough itself that I wouldn't be surprised to find something like an Independent City Market at ground level. Still, yup, it is interesting to see so few parking spaces being allotted to the residential units. If Vaughan allows it, it'll be a definite signal that they are serious about building a walking culture in VMC, and one would assume that the retailers that will be needed to support walking will show up in the various podiums.

Transit City 3 was approved with a parking ratio of about 0.3/unit. Transit city 1 and 2 are about 0.5. This isn't new stuff here. This is actually higher than both those

As someone who worked at Yonge and Sheppard, these suburban initiatives to get rid of parking capacity around subway stations seem laudible. I respect them in theory. But in practice, you realize that though the immediate area might be transit accessible and walkable, the suburbs are lousy in general without a car.

Yes, there was a direct subway connection to my building at Yonge and Sheppard. But taking the subway from the Junction meant spending twice as long commuting in the mornings and three times as long in the evenings. So I drove and paid for parking on someone's driveway each month because the supply of parking was so limited.

As someone who worked at Yonge and Sheppard, these suburban initiatives to get rid of parking capacity around subway stations seem laudible. I respect them in theory. But in practice, you realize that though the immediate area might be transit accessible and walkable, the suburbs are lousy in general without a car.

Yes, there was a direct subway connection to my building at Yonge and Sheppard. But taking the subway from the Junction meant spending twice as long commuting in the mornings and three times as long in the evenings. So I drove and paid for parking on someone's driveway each month because the supply of parking was so limited.

The appeal of Yonge and Sheppard is the Subway and Highway access. People want both.

I like the asethetic of the building but not bringing my hopes up because things will change. Case in point, festivals condo. I do hope these tower pull through. Eventually a good size supermarket will be placed nearby.

Expo City has a vacant retail space that looks like it could be placed there but only time will tell.

Oh I agree I would never live out there without one.

VMC has surprisingly been marketed to investors as prime York U student rental territory though, so I imagine a lot of people living there without cars would be students taking the subway down to York U every day.

The Expo Towers have parking ratios well above 1 I believe. It's these new 60 storey towers that have lower ratios because they simply can't build enough parking at heights like that without doing like 7 levels of undergound without reducing parking ratios.

IMG-20200826-WA0000.jpg

Demo has started on the plaza.

Back