News   Apr 26, 2024
 57     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 401     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.2K     4 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Sorry you are "not a fan", I'm not a fan of people endangering others, or people dying of COVID. These are not normal times. We all need to work together and get over this.

The statement you just made is a fallacy. I was not arguing against science, nor mitigation measures, including restrictions on activities, all of which I'm practicing, and endangering no one.

Meanwhile, I'm actually in a higher-risk category for severe complications.

But you assume, that because I don't think the state's powers should be unfettered I am somehow endorsing high-risk behavior that is likely a greater harm to me than you.

That is most certainly not the case.

I'm known for very reasonable, well-evidenced posts.

I have a long, established track record of same. You're not off to a great start here.

Please refrain from further inflammatory posts, for which you have no foundation.

The statement you just made is a fallacy. I was not arguing against science, nor mitigation measures, including restrictions on activities, all of which I'm practicing, and endangering no one.

Meanwhile, I'm actually in a higher-risk category for severe complications.

But you assume, that because I don't think the state's powers should be unfettered I am somehow endorsing high-risk behavior that is likely a greater harm to me than you.

That is most certainly not the case.

I'm known for very reasonable, well-evidenced posts.

I have a long, established track record of same. You're not off to a great start here.

Please refrain from further inflammatory posts, for which you have no foundation.
You give a loose reply and then pounce when somebody disagrees. Good night,

Not a fan.

Too open-ended.

There are offenses that surely merit this, but empowering all sorts of people who normally lack such power to use it, without much built-in restraint doesn't sit right with me.

Other than the province's 'newsroom' release, I'm not seeing the actual Order published as a regulation under the Act or the Provincial Offences Act. Perhaps it is too early in the day - I'll check later.

I'm normally a law-and-order type of guy but I'm a little on the fence about this. There are some obvious practicalities to this - you can't issue an offence notice without basic identifiers. Normally, mandatory identification only applies to regulated activity; i.e. driving, but it seems now many other activities are regulated for the time being. To me, this is a failing of the Act itself. The Act creates the offences and should have set out the enforcement rules - the regulations just set out the conditions when offences apply. I can see somebody making this argument in court (then at least there would be clarity).

Another gap in the legislation is a lack of arrest provisions. It should not normally need to come to this, but if a person or group defiantly refuses to comply with an order, all the police can do is issue offence notices which, if folks are dug in enough, does not address the immediate situation the order is trying to solve. We are long past the days of 'move along' with legal authority.

I find this version of DoFo laughable. Suddenly he's acting compassionate when we all know he's not. I wonder whose advice he's taking because normally he doesn't listen.
It's his God Bless People of ON closing of his press conferences that annoys me the most. First of all, I want a clear separation of church/theology and state. Imagine if Kaleed Rasheed, Ford's Deputy Government Whip closed his public announcements with "Allah Bless the People of Ontario". Keep your theology out of it. And second of all, as a church going person myself, I don't like the Premier using religion as a crux to his policies.

From link.

‘He’s my therapist’: How Chrystia Freeland and Doug Ford forged an unlikely friendship in the fight against COVID-19

ford_freeland.jpg

Lex Luthor and Supergirl.

Cynthia Mulligan @CityCynthia
49s

BREAKING: Ontario projections over course of pandemic predict 100-thousand deaths WITHOUT public health measures. WITH public health measures it goes down to 3-thousand to 15-thousand. (waiting to hear what public health measures consist of and if we need to go further #covid19

Not good.

I am so very happy to live in Canada at this time. The leaders, outside of Alberta's Premier it seems, on all government levels are doing a great job. Some like DoFo got off to a slow start but I love seeing them all do daily briefings, either outside or several feet apart. Grass roots movements are popping up everywhere with people helping peope. The shit show south of the border from Trump, the churches that continue to allow services, several of the governors ESPECIALLY that fool in Georgia who has re-opened beaches is going to cause so many deaths.

I am so very happy to live in Canada at this time. The leaders, outside of Alberta's Premier it seems, on all government levels are doing a great job. Some like DoFo got off to a slow start but I love seeing them all do daily briefings, either outside or several feet apart. Grass roots movements are popping up everywhere with people helping peope. The shit show south of the border from Trump, the churches that continue to allow services, several of the governors ESPECIALLY that fool in Georgia who has re-opened beaches is going to cause so many deaths.

Pretty much anybody can run somethings, a province, country, company, kid's birthday party, reasonably well when things are running smoothly. But leadership when the balloons go up is often telling; people either have innate/developed skills, are quick learners or smart enough to listen to their handlers (and have chosen them well). I'm not sure which category Ford falls into. If he's the skills sets all along, he's kept them well hidden until now.

I think he's listening to the experts after his "go travel and enjoy March break" statement. The other day he wanted to have grocery stores stay open over the Easter weekend, but then after hearing from the grocery companies as well as others, he backtracked. Doug is good at backtracking.

From an e-mail sent to me from the Green Party:

Dear *****,
We think the government made a mistake by issuing a mandatory closure of all community gardens in Ontario due to COVID-19
It’s an oversight they can quickly correct.
The province classified community gardens as a recreational activity, like ice rinks and swimming pools, instead of an essential food service like grocery stores.
There are many things that are not essential right now. Food production isn’t one of them.
This decision means that tens of thousands of families - not to mention food banks - have lost access to affordable fresh fruit and vegetables they depend on.
There is a way to keep community gardens open, while keeping people safe.
Provinces like BC have done it, and we can too - with the physical distancing and safety guidelines that other essential services are following.
People across Ontario have invested time and money to prepare for this growing season.
And with the uncertainty of global food supplies, now is not the time to prohibit local production.
Walter, will you sign our petition to re-open community gardens?

Bonnie North
Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs Critic
Green Party of Ontario

Want to do more? Visit our
action page to take the next step.
At the Green Party of Ontario, we believe that emails are a vital way to stay in direct contact with supporters like you.
This message was sent to**********.
If you'd like, you can unsubscribe from this type of mailing only or unsubscribe from all GPO mailings.
To contact us, please reply to this email. Call us toll-free 8886473366. Our mailing address:
PO Box 1132 Station F
Toronto, ON M4Y2T8
Canada​
open.php

Back