News   May 10, 2024
 137     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 228     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 681     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Why on earth is the streetcar museum in Halton of all places, instead of in an urban location easily accessed by transit?

Why on earth is the streetcar museum in Halton of all places, instead of in an urban location easily accessed by transit?

It started on Toronto Suburban Railway land which had some very cheap but useful facilities. Passenger cars ran from Keele & Dundas to Guelph.

Transit accessibility shifted and shrunk.

Last edited:
It started on Toronto Suburban Railway land which had some very cheap but useful facilities. Passenger cars ran from Keele & Dundas to Guelph.

Transit accessibility shifted and shrunk.

To be clear, the museum was created 20+ years after the tracks had been lifted.

As to why that particular location - likely because it was cheap and available at the time.

Dan

My understanding is it's the location of the old maintenance facility for the Toronto Suburban Railway, which ran from Guelph to Toronto roughly parallel to the CN/GTR/Kitchener line tracks. I imagine it was easier and cheaper than a purpose built facility, and probably helped preserve some heritage aspects of a site that would have otherwise been neglected. It is unfortunate that it's not very accessible, which is one of the reasons I've never been there since I am carfree.

Reactions: DSC
It is unfortunate that it's not very accessible, which is one of the reasons I've never been there since I am carfree

The problem is the availability of land close to Toronto along with the financial requirements of building a purpose built museum. It would be nice to have it in the city but with all the rolling stock, maintenance facilities etc it would be impossible.

The only place I can see it going would be Roncy or Russell if they ever close them. Wychwood would have been a good location as well but that is a non-starter now.

@smallspy maybe you have an idea how much rolling stock they have but as far as I know it is not a small collection and would take up a large amount of space.

Rockwood is far but it is the only cost effective space available.

Found this on a TR earlier. Methinks the map needs updating.

20191105_131333.jpg

Attachments

• 20191105_135822.jpg
    20191105_135822.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 299
My understanding is it's the location of the old maintenance facility for the Toronto Suburban Railway, which ran from Guelph to Toronto roughly parallel to the CN/GTR/Kitchener line tracks. I imagine it was easier and cheaper than a purpose built facility, and probably helped preserve some heritage aspects of a site that would have otherwise been neglected. It is unfortunate that it's not very accessible, which is one of the reasons I've never been there since I am carfree.

This is not the case. The section of the TSR that was used for the museum was a straight-shot - I don't believe that there was even a siding on that stretch.

All of the buildings on the property were built for the purpose, or in the case of Rockwood Station, moved south from the (now former) CN line.

Dan

Found this on a TR earlier. Methinks the map needs updating.

View attachment 213635

It's nice to see so many accessible stations on an 'old' map. My first wife was wheelchair bound and back in the early 2000's we had no idea that the subway wasn't accessible until we parked at Yorkdale and tried to board it. Needless to say, neither of us was happy with the TTC that day.

Halton - of all places!
I would imagine the amount of real estate required (I believe the 'track' alone is about 2km) would have been a complete non-starter in Toronto for a donation-based society. Not all of their collection is from Toronto it's not the TTC museum.

Halton County Railway Museum needs to advertise itself more (and better yet have GO Transit having shuttle buses from Union to Rockwood).

GO will not provide buses for free and as they are a donation based museum I doubt it is cost effective for them to pay GO for shuttles.

They do need to advertise more but honestly it is in such a hard to reach location I doubt they will have much success

Who cares? Most people are and should be happy that the place exists at all. Without it, you would not have any of the historic streetcars, preserved M1s, G-Series, etc available to enjoy. Most streetcar museums run in rural areas because of the availability of cheap land, something you don't have access to in a city. You also can't run cars constantly in the city.

Side note: 4003 arrived at Halton today.

This likely means that the TTC is keeping 4001.

Back