News   Apr 25, 2024
 280     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 897     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 915     0 

Downtown Grocery Store List (current + proposed)

Last edited:
Organic Garage expansion plans include the east waterfront, with an expectation of opening by the end of this year. My guesses are Monde or maybe one of those Tridel buildings... Or maybe in "The Yard" portion of the Daniels Waterfront development at Jarvis.

Daniels announced a bunch of food vendors for The Yard (more to come) but given the size of the units there, I think it'll either be Tridel buildings or Monde as you guessed.

Went back to McEwan at Yonge and Bloor to see how it was a couple of months after opening. It was a short visit. I needed, among other things, a pork tenderloin, saw a couple of them visibly drying out in the refrigerator, put my basket back and left empty-handed. If I ate prepared foods I might go back, but I don't. Unlike their Don Mills store, this one is just not very interesting.

Apparently, construction has re-started on the No Frills site on Coxwell Avenue, near Gerrard Street.

Tentative opening date late 2019.

I can't help but laugh as the Loblaws spokesperson insists on call this a renovation, when so far as I can discern there is a single wall remaining from the original store and perhaps some bits of the original foundation.

They've definitely poured new foundation/footings, and the rest of the old store above ground was completely demo'ed.

This flew a bit under the radar, but I noticed a minor variance application was submitted and approved for MetroCentre which I was very happy to read about! An excerpt from the cover letter:

'Proposal Details

The proposal comprises the revitalization and updating of MetroCentre and includes the following:
• Reconfiguration of the concourse level with respect to retail (including the addition of a grocery store), food court and custom workshop tenant locations, seating areas and circulation.
• Reconfiguration of the eastern portions of the existing ground floor lobbies of the office buildings at 225 King Street West and 200 Wellington Street West, for the construction of new retail/restaurant spaces. '

And an associated render which provides a nice hint at what's to come ???

thanks for the post!...
Farm Boy?!.. wow..that is great.. desperately needed around here..-- hope it is full large scale grocery - and not a condensed "urban" store model.
they have fantastic fresh foods- and are sooo reasonably priced..

any idea when this is supposed to open..?

Very intriguing, they've chosen to pair two stores quite closely with Metro Centre being roughly King/John and they're also going in at Bathurst/Front.

So only about 1.1km apart. Almost in the middle is the Spadina/Bremner Sobeys (now the parent company of Farm Boy) .

It's funny, you see this surprisingly often in grocery, both as a way to saturate a space, but also make sure that the truck from the warehouse doesn't just make one-stop in an area.

I'm thinking of Loblaws in Leaside which has stores immediately off Laird and again at Bayview; and then a Valumart just up the street on Bayview as well.

I recently visited Farm Boy and loved it. I'd love to see a normal sized store downtown.

Not sure what the sq ft on the new DT stores is going to be.

I can say Leslie/Lake Shore is already a compressed store for them; and it's caused them some minor headaches as they get a fair few complaints about products available at most FarmBoys but not that location. They may be able to compensate by simply laying out the store different. Some of the shelving could be more efficiently laid out and/or a bit taller. They could also use more freezer space (ya know when a supermarket doesn't sell puff pastry....)

Not sure what the sq ft on the new DT stores is going to be.

I can say Leslie/Lake Shore is already a compressed store for them; and it's caused them some minor headaches as they get a fair few complaints about products available at most FarmBoys but not that location. They may be able to compensate by simply laying out the store different. Some of the shelving could be more efficiently laid out and/or a bit taller. They could also use more freezer space (ya know when a supermarket doesn't sell puff pastry....)

From what I can find, the Leslie and Etobicoke stores are both about 20,000 sf, which i believe is their standard GTA store size.

Back