News   Apr 26, 2024
 34     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 397     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 

2019 Canadian Federal Election

Ok..........a very bad news day for Mr. Trudeau................yikes! Trudeau wearing 'brownface' 18 years ago.

Can't begin to assess the impact.

Am I the only one wondering how this didn't come out when he ran for leader or PM?
Maybe more shocking is that it was US media that discovered it.
Maybe it shows that the $1.5B to CBC and the $600M media bailout worked quite well.

Maybe more shocking is that it was US media that discovered it.
Maybe it shows that the $1.5B to CBC and the $600M media bailout worked quite well.

I doubt anyone, much less the National Post or the Toronto Sun would have sat on it in the last 4 years if they had found it.

AoD

It wont effect things much but the problem seems Trudeau is having trouble getting voters that supported him in 2015 to really break away into majority Territory.

This kind of scandal could shift a few voters to the NDP or just sit at home and that can shift a lot of seats...

I also think scandals like these galvanize the Anti Trudeau crowd as well and the Tories really needed something to rally that vote bank.

So I think it makes trudeau goal to get a majority harder as his attacks on the conservatives being racist are going to be quite ineffective now.

Also lets be honest the reason this is a big deal is due to Justin Trudeau being the King of Woke Culture, Cancel Culture and Social Justice Warrior culture.

Its like a classic case of live by the sword... die by the sword

This is a problem with judging historic events in contemporary context. I'm watching Singh right now and he is holding back tears. Perhaps I'm viewing this as a 'white guy', but I'm wondering if any parent who let their daughter dress up as Princess Jasmine for Halloween (racist), a ghost (non-secular) or Donald Trump (sexist), or did any number of things themselves, perhaps at university, is now burning the photos. Please tell me how every instance of dressing up or using some touchstone of another culture is inherently racist so long as the context itself is not. If that is the case, I'm expecting to see a lot of canoes and kayaks for sale on Kijiji in the coming days as we 'white settlers' reflect on our lives.

(Maybe this should be in the angry old guy guy thread).

Last edited:
This is a problem with judging historic events in contemporary context. I'm watch Singh right now and he is holding back tears. Perhaps I'm viewing this as a 'white guy', but I'm wondering if any parent who let their daughter dress up as Princess Jasmine for Halloween (racist), a ghost (non-secular) or Donald Trump (sexist), or did any number of things themselves, perhaps at university, is now burning the photos. Please tell me how every instance of dressing up or using some touchstone of another culture is inherently racist so long as the context itself is not. If that is the case, I'm expecting to see a lot of canoes and kayaks for sale on Kijiji in the coming days as we 'white settlers' reflect on our lives.

The issue is not the costume it is the black or brown face...

Thing is Trudeau is 'super woke" was a teacher and was 29...

If Scheer did the same thing many of the people say its not a big deal be calling for his head.

This is a problem with judging historic events in contemporary context. I'm watch Singh right now and he is holding back tears. Perhaps I'm viewing this as a 'white guy', but I'm wondering if any parent who let their daughter dress up as Princess Jasmine for Halloween (racist), a ghost (non-secular) or Donald Trump (sexist), or did any number of things themselves, perhaps at university, is now burning the photos. Please tell me how every instance of dressing up or using some touchstone of another culture is inherently racist so long as the context itself is not. If that is the case, I'm expecting to see a lot of canoes and kayaks for sale on Kijiji in the coming days as we 'white settlers' reflect on our lives.

Were we discussing a historic period as in the 1960s.....perhaps I could muster more sympathy...............were Trudeau the son of some family of lesser means and education, not linked to politics...........the same.

To be clear this is post-2000.............

This is not from a time when 'blackface' was not understood to be unacceptable, to put it charitably.

This also was no bumpkin........he may lack the intellectual gravitas of his father, but this was university educated teacher, one of almost 30 years of age...........and the son of a former Prime Minister, used to living his life in the spotlight.

I'm not throwing him under the bus here; but lets judge this appropriately. This is not an old man who grew up in earlier era so to speak.

Nor a teen making a foolish mistake that may be excused due to the foolishness of youth.

I think we can be too politically correct, too virtue-signal'ish etc. at times, as a society, and Trudeau often typifies this.

But at the same time, I find it hard to imagine the level of stupidity involved in this choice.

Further, he's now asking for forgiveness and continuing to campaign; after having lambasted Scheer for his comments about forgiving candidates who opened up to and took responsibility for their mistakes.

I for one do not want to see a Scheer government. I'm certainly not that man's defender either.

But just wow.......

Last edited:

If Scheer did the same thing many of the people say its not a big deal be calling for his head.

While I think you are often prone to hyperbole; I think you're completely on point here.

Though, I think the brownface/blackface is indeed a live issue in its own right; Trudeau has now admitted this was not a one-off..............

Further, he's now asking for forgiveness and continuing to campaign; after having lambasted Scheer for his comments about forgiving candidates who opened up to and took responsibility for their mistakes

What would happen if one of Scheer's candidates did this? Instantly forgiven?

What would happen if one of Scheer's candidates did this? Instantly forgiven?

I would think not. Not by Trudeau for sure; and probably not by Scheer either who couldn't afford not to boot a candidate in these circumstances.........or so I would hope.

Would you?

AoD

I think the whole Hypocrisy of everyone involved shows how stupid 'woke culture' which Trudeau is the unofficial leader of.

I think the lesson from here is that we should not try to character assassinate each other from stuff that is in the distant past as one day it will bite you back because reality is we are not all perfect.

I have always said Trudeaus 'holier then thou' attitude is his greatest weakness.

Perhaps, but this is what our system has devolved into; a cult of personality. Canadian elections are not US presidential elections. Clearly, leadership and all the good things that go along with that are important; the PM is, after all, the head of the party that holds the confidence of the House. Ideall, we should be looking at the history and platforms of the parties and make our judgements on those. But we've reduced our parliamentary system into a rolling dictatorship. MPs have no real role beyond either grinning potted plants or trained seals ('potted seals'?).

Edit to add: I don't know what 'woke', 'super woke' or 'woke culture' in the context means. It could be argued that if opposition reactions are considered too over-the-top; wailing and rending of garments, it could have the opposite effect.

Were we discussing a historic period as in the 1960s.....perhaps I could muster more sympathy...............were Trudeau the son of some family of lesser means and education, not linked to politics...........the same.

To be clear this is post-2000.............

This is not from a time when 'blackface' was not understood to be unacceptable, to put it charitably.

This also was no bumpkin........he may lack the intellectual gravitas of his father, but this was university educated teacher, one of almost 30 years of age...........and the son of a former Prime Minister, used to living his life in the spotlight.

I'm not throwing him under the bus here; but lets judge this appropriately. This is not an old man who grew up in earlier era so to speak.

Nor a teen making a foolish mistake that may be excused due to the foolishness of youth.

I think we can be took politically correct, too virtue-signal'ish etc. at times, as a society, and Trudeau often typifies this.

But at the same time, I find it hard to imagine the level of stupidity involved in this choice.

Further, he's now asking for forgiveness and continuing to campaign; after having lambasted Scheer for his comments about forgiving candidates who opened up to and took responsibility for their mistakes.

I for one do not want to see a Scheer government. I'm certainly not that man's defender either.

But just wow.......

I beg to differ on this - it is of bad taste no doubt; but bona fide racist? I am not so eager to casually brand it as such. I am not a fan of using that word so lightly for something so silly and ultimately of so little actual relevance to real systematic issues.

I think the whole Hypocrisy of everyone involved shows how stupid 'woke culture' which Trudeau is the unofficial leader of.
I think the lesson from here is that we should not try to character assassinate each other from stuff that is in the distant past as one day it will bite you back because reality is we are not all perfect.

That's not the question I've asked though - you just claimed that the problem is black and brown facing by an individual - not woke culture, not hypocrisy, nor character assassination.

AoD

Back