Toronto Sidewalk Toronto at Quayside | ?m | ?s | Sidewalk | Snøhetta

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Alphabet is presenting a visionary plan for public consumption it's not unreasonable to assume that it also has something far more detailed/along the planning curve that's deemed as yet too sensitive for public consumption.

I think so much more than is merited is being read into what probably happened here. Yes, it's a bit rich that Sidewalk wants to have a role in development of additional lands. But it all is a logical conclusion of the following exchange I imagine took place:

S: our plan doesn't work without LRT, when are you building it?

C: it's in our plans, but with competing priorities, limited funds and politics, shrugs

S: ok, what if we build it and you give us the means to fund it, without political debate about it

C: sounds great to us

While there may be qualms with this, I don't see it as nefarious. And we're only partway through the negotiation. Personally, I wouldn't be opposed with the plan if in the end that Sidewalk's recovery from increased sale price and tax were limited to the financing costs. That could still be the end result of negotiations.

Agreed a loan for money to fund the LRT which is a benefit to both parties. If the tax revenue directed to Google is capped at the loan amount plus an interest rate.. I don’t see a problem with that. If tax revenue doesn’t generate that much because Googles plans for the area were less than what they expected then they share that risk and won’t be paid for their full investment as quick as they were expecting.

I’m not sure why people are automatically so cynical when it comes to public-private partnerships. Ofcourse you must be vigilant but being so closed minded to deals like this carries an opportunity cost.

If not already posted - here are some of the released images from Snohetta/Heatherwick collaboration for Quayside.
All images courtesy of Heatherwick Studio:

8.jpg

1.jpg

7.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

The exterior of these buildings will never be timber. So unless they are planning to use hideous aluminum panels with a tacky screen printed woodgrain pattern, they should drop the disingenuous renderings while they’re still ahead.

The exterior of these buildings will never be timber. So unless they are planning to use hideous aluminum panels with a tacky screen printed woodgrain pattern, they should drop the disingenuous renderings while they’re still ahead.
but seriously, they should build it. It’s great. Don’t poo poo on this project please. You’ll love it when built

Um, this is UT. You're in the wrong place if you think everyone here is going to agree with you! And hey - this is a rendering for a project that's generating more controversy by the day. We're a long ways off from reality just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back