Toronto Nobu Residences Toronto | 156.66m | 45s | Madison Group | Teeple Architects

I forgot to grab pictures, but shoring along the north side of the building has been completed and half of Mercer St is open again. They were doing a lot of works on the pipes or something under Mercer for the last several weeks which turned the street into a mud bowl, but now it's mostly cleaned up.

Up next I'm assuming there will be the construction of the facade retention system and demolition of the rest of the building while shoring proceeds around the rest of the site.

Thought I'd check out the whatshappenings at the site. Pictures taken tonight.

North side:

IMG_20181213_182041.jpg
IMG_20181213_181806.jpg
IMG_20181213_181829.jpg
IMG_20181213_181840.jpg
IMG_20181213_181906.jpg
IMG_20181213_181949.jpg
IMG_20181213_181208.jpg

South side:

IMG_20181213_181306.jpg
IMG_20181213_181349.jpg

The shoring rig is parked at the west end of the site:

IMG_20181213_181446.jpg

Mascot brewery’s rooftop is an unfortunate loss, especially in a city with a weak outdoor/rooftop patio culture. See Montreal and NYC for reference.

Agree fully on Mascot, but you don't think Toronto has a good patio culture?

He specifically mentioned rooftop patio culture, which I agree... it's definitely lacking; there are only a few and even then, mostly cater to the pretentious crowd.

Otherwise, there are plenty of street level patios.

Agree fully on Mascot, but you don't think Toronto has a good patio culture?

I always thought the music playing at Mascot was wayyyyy too loud so I could never really enjoy it but it was a nice setting other than that (maybe I am getting old)

I was only thinking the other day, the rooftop at The Underground is going to have very little sunlight once that building on the SW corner of King and Blue Jays Way is done! Penned in to the South, West and East

Last edited:
I was referring to rooftop patios. The couple that are there are overpriced, cater to a very specific clientele and seem to mostly a location for visitor/tourists to check out the skyline.
I agree there are a lot of street level patios but I have my qualms about those as well. The Toronto patio style usually favours to face the back of the building (where the backyard is traditionally) instead of facing the street and facilitating people watching. This is likely because of Toronto's building typology of Victorian homes which isn't designed for animation facing the street. Everything is getting better with time though, especially on the side streets along west queen west!

I was referring to rooftop patios. The couple that are there are overpriced, cater to a very specific clientele and seem to mostly a location for visitor/tourists to check out the skyline.
I agree there are a lot of street level patios but I have my qualms about those as well. The Toronto patio style usually favours to face the back of the building (where the backyard is traditionally) instead of facing the street and facilitating people watching. This is likely because of Toronto's building typology of Victorian homes which isn't designed for animation facing the street. Everything is getting better with time though, especially on the side streets along west queen west!

Most of the Manhattan rooftops unfortunately cater to similar crowds/vibes as the Toronto versions, but certainly agree with you on the dearth of them in TO nonetheless.

Back