Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Looks like a couple of bacteria have escaped their protective blue coating:

View attachment 163629

View attachment 163630

Must’ve just about bumped into you.

282D28F9-5412-4C91-ABCA-7A2311E49AB6.jpeg
BEE72BAC-4565-41EC-AC4A-895BD8A53BA7.jpeg
6DD2AC83-9D2D-447A-B8C8-CD9121B58AB4.jpeg

Will be interesting to see how these move without bumping into each other.

Maybe we're thinking it wrong - maybe the individual segments are locked in, but the entire metal "column" rotates. If the rate of rotation for both are locked in (perhaps through some kind of shared gear mechanism), there is no reason why they can't avoid bumping into one another while creating an undulating impression. I have seen kinetic sculptures of this sort.

AoD

Maybe we're thinking it wrong - maybe the individual segments are locked in, but the entire metal "column" rotates. If the rate of rotation for both are locked in (perhaps through some kind of shared gear mechanism), there is no reason why they can't avoid bumping into one another while creating an undulating impression. I have seen kinetic sculptures of this sort.

AoD
I don't see it like what you describe. Maybe, MAYBE it's like the dough kneading attachments on a mixer that the spirals intertwine in the way that when you spin them in the correct direction simultaneously they don't touch. Maybe. But this thing looks so intertwined in real life that it gives an impression that it needs multiple rotating joints and some serious software to run without collisions. I can't wait to see some timelapse footage of this thing running to analyze what's actually going on. Either way, even if it's just a dough kneader, it will be an awesome public art piece.

AoD

I could very well be thinking about it wrong. Im just going by the video in which it looks like each column rotates or moves independently. It's hard for me to envision them not bumping in to each other. I understand what you mean with the synchronization gear (sort of like the machine gun of a Sopwith Camel firing through the propeller without bullets striking the blades) and I do hope your right about it.

I walked past this new installation recently and am impressed with the initiative. Although it has been criticized as of late, I am typically in favor of public art. Whether successful or not, it does add diversity to the public realm.

I don't see it like what you describe. Maybe, MAYBE it's like the dough kneading attachments on a mixer that the spirals intertwine in the way that when you spin them in the correct direction simultaneously they don't touch. Maybe. But this thing looks so intertwined in real life that it gives an impression that it needs multiple rotating joints and some serious software to run without collisions. I can't wait to see some timelapse footage of this thing running to analyze what's actually going on. Either way, even if it's just a dough kneader, it will be an awesome public art piece.
I doubt it is anything kinetic as there is heavy traffic that would constantly pass by and you can bet it would cause accidents as a driving distraction.

I doubt it is anything kinetic as there is heavy traffic that would constantly pass by and you can bet it would cause accidents as a driving distraction.
If by "kinetic" you mean dynamically animated, then yes, it was originally envisioned as kinetic. I mean, it's not supposed to use its noodly appendages to reach down and hit pedestrians on the head or grab and throw cars around, but it is supposed to very slowly change its shape throughout the day. Although, I am worried what it may start doing once Skynet takes it over...

If by "kinetic" you mean dynamically animated, then yes, it was originally envisioned as kinetic. I mean, it's not supposed to use its noodly appendages to reach down and hit pedestrians on the head or grab and throw cars around, but it is supposed to very slowly change its shape throughout the day. Although, I am worried what it may start doing once Skynet takes it over...
if movement is slow then it may pass, it depends I guess on the number of moving parts and the number of revolutions, etc...

If anyone watches the video posted a few pages back, the arms simply have one rotation point each close to the base (as someone's said, like a dough kneader attachment). If you look, one arm's pivot is roughly mid-way through the 2nd floor, and the other is at the top of the 2nd. The video is done time-lapse, which makes me believe that the movement is slow enough not to distract from traffic; I think the point being that every time you pass by it over the course of a day, it'll look slightly different—and not noodly frenetic arms waving around. The bonus of that also being probably a much lower power usage.

Back