Toronto Cumberland Square | 253.92m | 75s | KingSett Capital | Giannone Petricone

Not as tall as The One. Jesse Ketchum School shadowing would probably limit its allowable profile as seen from that location (because shadows are well-known causes of cancer, or something). If I recall correctly, the Holt Renfrew project at 50 Bloor West was significantly shortened (from 277m down to 230m) for that reason.

Yeah, hard to believe that something this far could be an issue

Not as tall as The One. Jesse Ketchum School shadowing would probably limit its allowable profile as seen from that location (because shadows are well-known causes of cancer, or something). If I recall correctly, the Holt Renfrew project at 50 Bloor West was significantly shortened (from 277m down to 230m) for that reason.
Shadows don't directly cause cancer. Shadows inhibit the absorption of Vitamin D instead.

Shadows don't directly cause cancer. Shadows inhibit the absorption of Vitamin D instead.

True -- although that really only makes a difference if you are wearing little in the way of clothing (which blocks the UVB light that is needed to produce Vitamin D), which does not happen except in summer, when the students would not be in school anyways.

...And Rob Ford got elected because he represents the values of many people in the city, including my own.

Rob Ford got elected for the same reason Donald Trump is leading in the Republican leadership race - he talks loud and says outrageous, stupid things that get him a lot of media attention. It proves the point that there is "no bad publicity" but does not point out any particularly remarkable "values".

It also makes sense that building over a subway becomes increasingly more expensive as the height increases - there has to be a point where it maxes out.

movement? filed for consent to sever the property into three in June..

2 BLOOR ST W
Ward 27 - Tor & E.York District

►View All Properties

A obtain a consent to sever the lands into 3 lots/parcels.
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Application for Consent 16 166034 000 00 CO Jun 1, 2016 Prepare Notice

I'm assuming that 2 Bloor will be one parcel, the corner of Cumberland/Yonge will be another, and then along Cumberland west of Mayfair Mews will be the other?

I'm hoping Mayfair gets extended to Cumberland... that part of Bloor is a massive block.

Earlier this year, or last, there was news about a massive project to redevelop this entire block between Bloor-Cumberland, Bay - Yonge. The city had encouraged the property owners to work together and an international design contest was held. Then nothing. Does anyone have inside dope on how this cursed project fell apart? Or even anything on the design competition itself?

How profoundly disappointing is that! So any chance of an integrated, organized, world class plan for this block is gone. We'll get a patch work of mediocre towers & podiums.
Was the winning design published? Would love to see it.

How profoundly disappointing is that! So any chance of an integrated, organized, world class plan for this block is gone. We'll get a patch work of mediocre towers & podiums.
I really wonder what possessed Holt Renfrew to squash this - their current digs can't be renovated enough to look halfway attractive for a purported luxury retailer.

It was never made public, no. I'm sure it'll turn up at some point though.

Back