Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

But it isn’t just on the new QQ. I lived on QQ before the redesign and I saw cars on the ROW every day. I have also seen them on Spadina and Fleet — more often on Fleet. Also on Bathurst between Lake Shore and QQ.

Last edited:
But it isn’t just on the new QQ. I lived on QQ before the redesign and I saw cars on the ROW every day. I have also seen them on Spadina and Fleet — more often on Fleet. Also on Bathurst between Lake Shore on QQ.
You are correct. I have seen cars in the ROW on QQ, Spadina, Bathurst, St Clair, Fleet and Cherry St. Saw a car in the ROW on Cherry St, QQ, Bathurst and Fleet last week.

Saw my first police car used Spadina ROW south of King last week and in no hurry to get where they wanted to go in the first place.

Just another regular day on Queens Quay:

Y4O4itM.jpg

Clueless drivers thinking they must drive on the tracks here like rest of the system and fail to look at signs.

Time we get together one night and paint the road red and yellow since Waterfront Toronto nor the city wants to do it. It was recommended in early 2015 to date that these intersection be painted since EMS will not allow grass on the ROW that they don't use in the first place.

That’s a left turn from Spadina.
For left turns, you start just right of the centreline of road. Based on the raised curb on Spadina, people seem to start their turns ok.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6379...4!1sUtLEvqiGtNRLrTujsPZuBg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
You are to finish you turn just right of the centreline of the road. It does look like the road is full width and traffic is to go right of the island. There is some sign clutter on the centre pole. Even in streetview, the driver started out the wrong side.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6377...4!1sjoyDZ6G4-QEaRPVmpedW2A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Consider:
  • Paint the yellow line a bit farther west so turning vehicles know where the road centre-line is. https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6377...4!1s0C85ATvM1ZQJDNPy8yagdA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
  • Remove the do not enter sign on the centre post. It adds to clutter, and likely scares the driver who thought they were doing a legal turn. seeing the sign, the instinct is likely to go right of the island (which is the case in 99% of other intersections in Toronto). Move the sign more above the rail track.
  • Agree that some red paint on the rail tracks through the intersection is needed (especially since it is a T intersection, so cars will never drive there).

Toronto used to use cobblestones between the streetcar tracks. However, the automobile driver didn't like riding on them, forcing them off the tracks. So they eventually smoothed out the ride.

ttc-4324-harbord-1965.jpg

From link.

Why didn't they use them for right-of-ways? Because it wasn't written, so it can't be done.

They should put a clamp that locks the car down and disables it if driving on the ROW. A police officer then shows up with a tow truck. You lose your car for 7 days, and you lose your licence until you complete an urban driving re-training program.

They should put a clamp that locks the car down and disables it if driving on the ROW. A police officer then shows up with a tow truck. You lose your car for 7 days, and you lose your licence until you complete an urban driving re-training program.
Yes - that would leave the car there for a half hour interfering with transit. If transit is so unimportant, why not let cars drive there all the time.

Fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice, shame on me. If more than 1 person does the wrong thing you must question whether the design or signage is proper and correct.

Yes - that would leave the car there for a half hour interfering with transit. If transit is so unimportant, why not let cars drive there all the time.

Fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice, shame on me. If more than 1 person does the wrong thing you must question whether the design or signage is proper and correct.

It's a small price to pay to remove poor drivers from the roads.

The new barrier will certainly prevent cars from driving into the tunnel! Really?

F9D8D0CF-1E21-4AD2-B63A-75268F95DD98.jpeg
7EAEB883-E020-4011-B3A9-F19C653D24E1.jpeg
D75A0B33-A1BA-47F1-A21E-ABF6DBFF8235.jpeg

Attachments

• F9D8D0CF-1E21-4AD2-B63A-75268F95DD98.jpeg
    F9D8D0CF-1E21-4AD2-B63A-75268F95DD98.jpeg
    234.5 KB · Views: 426
  • 7EAEB883-E020-4011-B3A9-F19C653D24E1.jpeg
    7EAEB883-E020-4011-B3A9-F19C653D24E1.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 376
  • D75A0B33-A1BA-47F1-A21E-ABF6DBFF8235.jpeg
    D75A0B33-A1BA-47F1-A21E-ABF6DBFF8235.jpeg