Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Basically election poison pill to dare DoFo do anything different - awkward for a subway champion otherwise.

AoD

Smart move, tactically. Put the money on the table, so that DoFo is put in the position of actually taking subway money off the table.

Smart move, tactically. Put the money on the table, so that DoFo is put in the position of actually taking subway money off the table.

Yeah, but I'd rather the quasi-commitment to building what's needed not be left till election time as a dare. That's part of the reason behind the stop-go dynamic we have here in Ontario.

AoD

Yeah, but I'd rather the quasi-commitment to building what's needed not be left till election time as a dare. That's part of the reason behind the stop-go dynamic we have here in Ontario.

AoD

To be fair, this is timed relatively close to when the RLS designing took a big step forward (with the next stages of public consultations). If the funding allocation included RLN, which doesn't even have an alignment yet, then yes it would be naked politicking. This does definitely have a political odor to it, but there is a fair bit of 'natural progression' in there too.

The best way to overcome the stop-go dynamic is to look each candidate in the eye and ask “this thing is going ahead full speed, right?”
Wynne’s ploy basically does that. Putting money on the line speaks more than some spoken “commitment” that is followed by further study, and more study, etc.
So while I may not vote for her, I approve what she did.
Fish or cut bait, Doug......

- Paul

I'm not that familiar with the PATH, but are there any 3-way connections that are directly under streets? I ask this because it feels like a special case that Queen Station will connect to the PATH underneath Bay St.
cityhallstn_3_fareconcourseplan.jpg

From here.

Last edited:
That picture shows why City Hall station is not a + - there is no room for it to be one as the buildings on the north side are too close to the row.

That picture shows why City Hall station is not a + - there is no room for it to be one as the buildings on the north side are too close to the row.

Why don't they stack the trains? Have the tracks at different levels? This would mean you have ample room for a station and for the tracks.

According to this image,
cityhallstn_alignment.jpg

the bore tunnel for the relief line will not only be below the existing Queen Station, but below the existing Enwave tunnels. Don't know for certain, but the tunnels would be below the foundation of the Old City Hall.

I'm not that familiar with the PATH, but are there any 3-way connections that are directly under streets? I ask this because it feels like a special case that Queen Station will connect to the PATH underneath Bay St.
From here.

The detailed drawing shows how silly this plan is. How do I get from the DRL to the Bay Adelaide Centre (and onto TD, Scotia and CC)? I have to backtrack to Queen or jog all the way to Bay? It clearly is designed by someone at City Hall who does not understand that the world doesn't revolve around them. If it is an inconvenient or crowded path to work will people even take the DRL?

The detailed drawing shows how silly this plan is. How do I get from the DRL to the Bay Adelaide Centre (and onto TD, Scotia and CC)? I have to backtrack to Queen or jog all the way to Bay? It clearly is designed by someone at City Hall who does not understand that the world doesn't revolve around them. If it is an inconvenient or crowded path to work will people even take the DRL?
Do you mean that having the station centered right smack in the middle between Bay St and Yonge St and not having any entrances in the middle of the platform (such as a CF Tower entrance)? Definitely terrible design.

Last edited:
How do I get from the DRL to the Bay Adelaide Centre (and onto TD, Scotia and CC)? I have to backtrack to Queen or jog all the way to Bay?

Are you looking at the same diagram that I am? Exit right at the existing connection between The Hudson Bay and The Eaton Centre and another right at Bay. Why would there need to be another in between (at James Street)? Would Cadillac Fairview really want a third way into the Bay store underground? Seems both exits make it quite convenient to get to Bay Adelaide.

Are you looking at the same diagram that I am? Exit right at the existing connection between The Hudson Bay and The Eaton Centre and another right at Bay. Why would there need to be another in between (at James Street)? Would Cadillac Fairview really want a third way into the Bay store underground? Seems both exits make it quite convenient to get to Bay Adelaide.

If it drives more business...yes!

Even without the additional traffic due to the DRL this connection is a pinch point in the PATH. Its mayhem during rush hour. The problem with using the existing connection is that (i) people transferring to Yonge, (2) poeple going to Eaton Centre and (3) everyone working in TD, CC, Scotia, etc will all be exiting on one end of the platform.

Do they run models for traffic/people management or just wing it? Do they have the people per minute at rush hour for each exit?

Back