Toronto The Residences of 488 University Avenue | 206.95m | 55s | Amexon | Core Architects

Yeah, but what I saw of the cross-bracing wasn't very pretty. It would have to have been painted or otherwise smartly clad in some sleek material just to clean up its rugged, plainly utilitarian steel aspect.

Yeah, but what I saw of the cross-bracing wasn't very pretty. It would have to have been painted or otherwise smartly clad in some sleek material just to clean up its rugged, plainly utilitarian steel aspect.

Of course it would be. You can't have steel structure exposed to the elements.

But with a solid casing over it, or even a motif "banding" that follows the geometry of the structure, it would have a much stronger, 'beefed up' effect than the all-glazed skin that we're getting here. They should be celebrating the geometries of the cross-bracing, not burying it behind a motif of anemic vertical fins that are arbitrary and clutter the elevations.

If their idea was one of subtlety, fair enough, hide the structure. But in that case, don't just design an obvious rip-off of the Four Seasons Hotel & Residences.

It'll be fine. I think the exposed bracing would be awkward, especially considering the transition from the old building to its addition. Much better to have it the way it will be with The One or The Hub - continuous, uninterrupted expression from the ground up.

Yesterday.

IMG_7981.JPG
IMG_7979.JPG
IMG_7980.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7981.JPG
    IMG_7981.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 726
  • IMG_7979.JPG
    IMG_7979.JPG
    281.3 KB · Views: 698
  • IMG_7980.JPG
    IMG_7980.JPG
    210.3 KB · Views: 656
Can someone tell me if they're going to use some form of nice coloured drapery to enhance the look of this building ? Because the colour white creates a busy look to the facade in the photo above !

Those are the office floors - not sure there's much you can do.

Stand at Dundas and Spadina - and anywhere on University south of the site - and this will have a tremendous impact.

Hmm? a 200 meter building in the midst of everything else, i don't know about 'tremendous'?

The downtown has what might be called a Dundas Doughnut Hole in the skyline. There is nothing very tall near Dundas and University. Lenser is right, IMO. This building will have genuine impact.

I'm down on Dundas between Spadina and Beverly every Thursday... look eastward and the bulk of this thing is readily apparent and yes, it will be quite dramatic from there.

Back