Toronto Royal Ontario Museum | ?m | ?s | Daniel Libeskind

Neat looking building- is it a museum? I'm pretty much through lamenting what should have been done at the ROM though. It's external appearance has grown on me- lets just push and hope for improvements to the interior. The new entrance looks awesome.

Not it is not. It is the Seoul City Hall - and it looks rather tacky (just look at that irregular polygon cladding on the side - it's dated already).

AoD

Last edited:
Whole west side now covered. Do we think this is routine/SOGR maintenance or is this the start of the next phase of the transformation?

I thought they needed to run a capital campaign to finance the latter...

E6247BCF-9E7B-487C-9621-D4DAA4570A99.jpeg

Attachments

• E6247BCF-9E7B-487C-9621-D4DAA4570A99.jpeg
    E6247BCF-9E7B-487C-9621-D4DAA4570A99.jpeg
    324.7 KB · Views: 649
In the lower right of the frame you mean?

I suspect it's just an emergency exit stairwell. An exit already exists in that area (opening to wide open air at present) and I guess they need to maintain access.

In the lower right of the frame you mean?

I suspect it's just an emergency exit stairwell. An exit already exists in that area (opening to wide open air at present) and I guess they need to maintain access.

Drats, got excited for a second. On another note, did they sort of vaguely reveal what the entrance improvements will be?

upload_2018-4-16_19-53-5.png

(ROM)

Looks like they have removed some of the panels at bottom, exposed the structural elements and created this translucent "thing".

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-16_19-53-5.png
    upload_2018-4-16_19-53-5.png
    943.4 KB · Views: 929
Last edited:
I like this plaza redesign more than the one we initially saw. As unpopular an opinion as this may be, the crystal has tremendous potential if its flaws are corrected and the good parts are enhanced. This design seems to address that well.

The crystal is iconic. It’s a beautiful modern counterpoint to the heritage wings. The Queens Park improvements returns their shared importance.

The crystal opened up a plaza on Bloor that was missing in the old terrace buildings. But the plaza isn’t used because it doesn’t encourage stopping and the entrance isn’t emphasized enough. This design fixes both of those. The new plaza uses the crystal’s angular design to intuitively point visitors to the entrance and it draws people to using the space while also correcting a missed opportunity where Philospher’s Walk was ignored.

Once this is completed, they should move to the interior, correcting flow problems, reimagining the stairwells away from the fire escapes that they currently are and perhaps cladding the walls so that they’re not cheap drywall dust collectors. Either glass or steel would do.

Drats, got excited for a second. On another note, did they sort of vaguely reveal what the entrance improvements will be?

View attachment 140263
(ROM)

Looks like they have removed some of the panels at bottom, exposed the structural elements and created this translucent "thing".

AoD

There doesn’t seem to be a canopy as was discussed originally. I’m glad. I don’t think people should be waiting outside. There’s a massive atrium with plenty of room. The group entrance should be on the side facing Philosopher’s Walk. There’s already a door there. Use it.

I’m not so sure about removing panels to expose the entrance. It could work if it follows the shape of the Crystal but from the rendering, it looks to be a cut in the panels and a flat upright glass. The entrance can be bigger but it doesn’t need to break the Libeskind design.

Back