Toronto The Residences of 488 University Avenue | 206.95m | 55s | Amexon | Core Architects

That entrance atrium looks a little messy structurally - with the steel beams interrupting the space.

AoD

I think that there are walls where the beams are.... There is the office entrance, TTC entrance and residential entrance in that atrium. No way those are all in 1 big open space.

Anyone know how residential part can directly access to subway like advertised.
Through the atrium, I assume. The new subway entrance will open into the atrium at the south end, and the residential lobby will be accessed through a door at the north end, no?

It's silly having the atrium segmented in three sections, especially since the second and third floor offices look down on them. I don't understand the thinking behind it.

Code issues. Interconnected floor spaces are a huge pain in the ass, especially when dealing with different types of occupancies in 1 space. On top of that you would have code/fire regulations and security implications between the 3 uses with or without the atrium space.

The greatest design in the world is only just a drawing until you can get approvals to build it.

Just now from the AGO staircase.
15168268178921939173691.jpg

Attachments

• 15168268178921939173691.jpg
    15168268178921939173691.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 384
My god, it's barely moved in over a year. Methinks there is something not quite right with this project. (Transfer slab, blah-blah, but that's been the excuse for a year. The ESB was built in 13 months)

My god, it's barely moved in over a year. Methinks there is something not quite right with this project. (Transfer slab, blah-blah, but that's been the excuse for a year. The ESB was built in 13 months)

Yeah - and how many died during that? :rolleyes:

They've also being working on the atrium space, the TTC connection, and new glazing around CIBC. Plus they added 3 or 4 levels of underground parking that I'm sure they are eager to open back up. Easy to discount all that work when you're only looking at the building from far away. If you actually go there you can see new things being done at the lower levels weekly.

Exactly and with people still working in the building I can only imagine how many complex obstacles they have to deal with during construction. This isn’t going up like a normal from scratch building.

It's a bit disingenuous when people compare the ESB to modern construction timelines. You always hear "they built it in the depression!" like that's some how supposed to make it more impressive. The depression was the ideal time to build if you were able as labour (and materials to a certain degree) were dirt cheap. You could have massive teams doing redundant tasks so that as a soon as something arrived on site it was immediately installed. Nowadays things are more regulated and expensive so you don't see skilled tradespeople just sitting around waiting for their turn as much as would have been the case in the depression. Modern construction is more efficient in a lot of ways by comparison, but it can take longer when things don't time out as they're supposed to as a result of cascading delays. Keep in mind the depression also came after a series of mega-construction so the supply channels and know-how were well in place.

The ESB was built in record time because of the Great Depression, not in spite of it as people often espouse.

Back