Toronto Clear Spirit | 131.36m | 40s | Cityscape | a—A

Not trying to be facetious but was this site even a possibility for a UNESCO world heritage site?

^
Is there any (UNESCO WHS's) in Toronto at all? For that matter, I can't think of any in Ontario.

Tewder:

Good post - I don't agree with some of it's application for this particular area of town - but it gladdened me to see such a good point raised about this part of Toronto's nature - and its worth.

Not trying to be facetious but was this site even a possibility for a UNESCO world heritage site?

An example of a much older, nicer, greater UNESCO heritage site: Hoi An, Vietnam. As much as a I love the Distillery District, it pales in comparison to Hoi An.

hoi_an_02.jpg
hoi_an_japanese_bridge.jpg

417px-Hoian.jpg

Interestingly, putting up large towers in the middle of a UNESCO heritage site could result in that site in being de-listed. UNESCO will make St. Petersburg Russia an "endangered world heritage site" if it puts up the Gazprom tower in the middle of the city, and there is the possibility that the city will be de-listed.

Article

An example of a much older, nicer, greater UNESCO heritage site: Hoi An, Vietnam. As much as a I love the Distillery District, it pales in comparison to Hoi An.

hoi_an_02.jpg
hoi_an_japanese_bridge.jpg

417px-Hoian.jpg

Pardon my ignorance, but what is so incredible about this district?

Pardon my ignorance, but what is so incredible about this district?

I was going to ask the same thing. I assume that there is some major historical significance to this district, because at first glance it certainly does not look any different from any other slightly run-down Vietnamese neighbourhood.

Bill

Thanks for the link Shocks. I took a walk down to the Distilllery District this afternoon to take another look at Rack House M just in case I needed to revisit my original low opinion of it. I came away with an even lower opinion of it. It is difficult to find any redeeming qualities in the building, especially the north wall where the fire escapes seem to be the most interesting feature. I still think that this is one brick wall about which the preservationists might want to think twice before beating their collective heads against - is that grammatically correct?

I was going to ask the same thing. I assume that there is some major historical significance to this district, because at first glance it certainly does not look any different from any other slightly run-down Vietnamese neighbourhood.

Bill

The bottom pic looks like a rusted-out version of a SoCal neighbourhood. But let's reserve judgement until CSW2424 fills us in.

These aren't my pictures because my camera was stolen at the next city (f*ckers) so I had to grab these from a google image search.

Anyway, what makes this place so literally remarkable is its unique architectural fushion of Chinese, Japanese, French and traditional Vietnamese styles. Before I say more this place is far far far from suburban and rundown. UNESCO desribes it as exceptionally well-preserved (and it is!). It is also a port town with deep historic significance to the region. Because of this it has been occupied by many foreign people during the 15th-to-19th centuries who all brought unique and different influences, especially in the street plan, architecture and form of the village.

Notice the roofs. You will see the Chinese influnce of yin and yang type tiling. The curve up and down in a really amazing interlocking effect. The old quarter, which is car-free, is mostly stone streets and alleys no wider then 4 metres. Many of the houses are over 300 or 400 years old and have really beauitful ceremaic decorations and details.

The Japanese bridge (pictured)'s real name translates into something like "bridge built by friends from faraway countries." It resembles architecture completley unique to the region (from the early Edo period in Japan) despite that fact that the rest of the town is built in a more traditional Chinese style. The houses are long and narrow, most of which are over 150 years old but some date much older (flooding and war have have hurt a lot of the oldest places). The buildings employ a cool triple-layered beam style that gives them a really interesting character. The houses also have an outdoor room (or inner garden) in the middle of them.

I'm not doing a very good job of describing it but this is a really remarkable village. It is preserved amazingly and retains a European flavour with Chinese and Japanese architecture. Needless to say, it is really something worth visiting and lingering in. The pictures and my description don't do it justice, but I think that is the case when describing most beautiful places in the world.

Back