Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Somewhat surprised at what appears to be the somewhat limited number of seats available in the York concourse, though.

Might be a short term problem but with GO moving to having more frequent service on more lines...there should be less people sitting and waiting for trains rather than popping in, glancing at board and heading up to track level.

Yep, I saw that. So hopefully that brings people into the Great Hall. I was just more generally referring to having multiple cafe's that extend into the floor area, creating a meeting place of sorts.

Thanks for those videos, btw. Those were awesome.

Somewhat surprised at what appears to be the somewhat limited number of seats available in the York concourse, though.

Keep in mind the GCT concourse is probably double the width of the Great Hall at Union Station, and it has an additional balcony level that we don't have - there isn't nearly as much space to add retail and other services here.

AoD

I think I was one of the first through for the soft opening today. I keep trying to upload my photos via the "Upload Photos to Thread," but keep getting "invalid file format." You can check out my pics via Flickr though...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonparis/sets/72157651788529210/

Thanks for taking the time to take and post those. Really interesting. A few comments/questions--

I'm somewhat surprised at how un-smoothly the York concourse entrance from the GH is constructed. I understand that the tiles on each side of the wall won't match what's already in the Hall, but the cameras and the header above the stairs/escalator look almost make-shift. Anyone else agree?

Also, as per some of the discussion above, I'd like to know if there's a rationale behind some stairs up to the tracks having only one door, and others having two. I'd like to think there is, and that the tracks with one stair are reserved for lesser used trains. But, given that this expansion is supposed to last for the next 75 some odd years, I'm not sure why they wouldn't just double all the doors.

The self-aware ads are refreshing. More companies and corporations need to realize that people respond well to mildly sardonic humour. It's humanizing and personalizing.

I'm really excited about the lower-level retail/food court.

Finally, if the electronic payment machines at the ticket wickets don't have tap function, I want a direct line to the PM and a letters of apology sealed with a kiss from Del Duca and Raitt.

Anyone know if it's still open? Heading back downtown from Brampton in a few mins and may detour to check it out.

Union Station - York Concourse Media Tour
by its only kotsy, on Flickr

Union Station - York GO Concourse Media Tour

Would have been nice if the round columns were wrapped in stainless steel a la Downsview station.
At a very high price. Not in the city budget.

Couldn't make the tour to get my shots.

Wow... The new space is really transformational. I can't even reconcile it with the existing Bay Concourse. Can't wait till the latter undergoes a similar treatment.

Union's future is bright. I wonder if any movement on a potential rail tunnel under the station has happened.. GO RER will be difficult to accommodate after all lines go online.

Union's future is bright. I wonder if any movement on a potential rail tunnel under the station has happened.. GO RER will be difficult to accommodate after all lines go online.

I believe part of the RER plan is to use smaller trains running more frequently to significantly reduce dwell times (loading and unloading of passengers). Perhaps the shorter trains can more easily be double berthed at exiting Union platforms?

I believe part of the RER plan is to use smaller trains running more frequently to significantly reduce dwell times (loading and unloading of passengers). Perhaps the shorter trains can more easily be double berthed at exiting Union platforms?
That is possibly part of it too (at least for some routes, in conjunction with the big bilevels). Various different documents have mentioned one or others, Metrolinx RER PDF, Union revitalization PDF, and Metrolinx 2031 plan PDF, at least one place mentioned some of following:

- Union Station Rail Corridor will be resignalled for better efficiency
- Platform 26/27 is new, built 2009. It was built before the revitalization so they could shut down a few platforms during revitalization. A few still are.
- Platform 3 track may eventually be reactivated for an eastbound service (UPX uses the track westbound).
- Platform-sharing with VIA platforms (dynamic videoboards + USRC + train traffic control centre, can make this happen)
- Electric trains with shorter dwell times and faster acceleration
- Double-berthing west of York. Three tracks can be rejigged to hold six long trains, e.g. Milton line sharing track with Richmond Hill line. Though, if using shorter trains, more double-berthing could happen (e.g. 150 meter trains instead of 300 meter trains). Some things, such as positive train control, USRC resignalling, and other safety mechanisms, as well as Transport Canada rule changes, may be needed before double-berthing is allowed to happen, but this is part of the long term plan. Then, yes, we need the underground corridor (which might or might not be combined with DRL as a 4-track underground corridor; as "Metrolinx 2031" document is very suggestive of it).

All of this combined, this will allow doubling the number of trains through Union during peak period, without doubling pedestrian density in stations or on platforms (3x larger GO concourses & 2x total width of entrance-width into Union & shorter wait times emptying plaforms faster & extra platforms from 26/27 + VIA platform sharing + double-berthing).

People don't think Union can handle it, but they're making it happen gradually. The magic of funding a professionally-engineered huge station reno and infrastructure upgrades.

Last edited:
That's so exciting! I can't seem to find anything on what's being planned for the east wing. Is scotiabank vacating? Will it become Metrolinx office space?

Renders of the finished product have it as a pedestrian entrance at ground level.

I was in the new concourse as 12:04. :)

I arrived at Union at 11:41 on a westbound Lakeshore Line train. I was in the Great Hall looking at the space where the Harvey's used to be, which was now a set of stairs to the new concourse. It was blocked off by a simple folding barrier. Someone official came up behind me and said, "It opens in ten minutes."

So I went and got some food and came back fo find the barriers gone. I went exploring. First impressions: big and bright. There were various people tidying up in various locations: sweeping, polishing, and one person was scraping something off the floor near one of the entrances. The staff was getting ready in the ticket booths, and there were various security people wandering around. There was a large opening in the middle that led down to the unfinished retail concourse below, but the escalators weren't in yet. There was plenty of space on the upper level for retail though, especially in the spaces closer to Front Street (which were done up more in the style of the old parts of the station. This place is going to be huge when it's done.

It looks like the renovations of the Great Hall area will be last; the floor there had all kinds of marks and gouges and cracks. And the ceiling was full of holes and patches. In the new area, I noticed that some of the panels in the south end of the curving roof above the opening appeared to have water damage. So there're a few things that still need to be done.

I also went into the Skywalk and looked at the entrance to the UP Express. There seems to be need for a shortcut from the Skywalk to the York concourse; perhaps that will be added.

And I paassed through the concourse on the way home as well. There were only a few people there aroun 20:00; so few that I didn't notice when people went to the train, and I almost missed it.

We'll see what it's like tomorrow morning. I wonder how long it will take to get some restaurants there. I would like an A&W closer than Waterpark Place...

Last edited:

Back