Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Your joking right? You do not know what a parish is? Have never heard the term?

I've heard the term, and I don't know what exactly a parish is. Couldn't it be a few things? It's a reasonable Q, considering it's a word that's seldom seen in this part of North America.

Not everyone is familiar with all the old english vocabulary, especially those that pertain to religion like this.
Parish, of course, doesn't necessarily pertain to religion. In England for example they have both ecclesiastical and civil (administrative) parishes. Though in the example given there, they were, I'd assume, Anglican parishes.

Certainly many aren't familiar with religious vocabulary these days. And some of us are only somewhat familiar. I've never figured out what the difference is between a vicar, minister, padawan, or priest. Or between a christening or baptism.

I've heard the term, and I don't know what exactly a parish is. Couldn't it be a few things? It's a reasonable Q, considering it's a word that's seldom seen in this part of North America.

Yep. It's used as an administrative division instead of 'county' in Quebec, NB and PEI, and also in Louisiana.

The TTC needs to rename Osgoode, St. Andrew and St. Patrick. Those station names have little notable relationship to their geographic position.

There was a plan at one point to rename Osgoode to Osgoode-Opera. I wonder why nothing came of that.

St Andrew and St Patrick would have to be renamed for fairly permanent landmarks.

There was a plan at one point to rename Osgoode to Osgoode-Opera. I wonder why nothing came of that.

St Andrew and St Patrick would have to be renamed for fairly permanent landmarks.

I would call St Andrew "King West" and Osgoode "Queen West" personally. Either that or "King-University" and "Queen-University" (and possibly rename King & Queen to "King-Yonge" "Queen-Yonge"). Obviously the problem with St Patrick is there's already a "Dundas West".

The current names are meaningless for the vast majority of people, I'd prefer they actually be helpful. Same with "Pioneer Village" obviously.

I would keep Osgoode because of Osgoode Hall at the north-east corner.

St. Andrews has several possible new names. Thomson Hall, Royal Alexandra, Princess of Wales come to mind.

St. Patrick has the Art Gallery of Ontario, or simply Art Gallery. Or even naming them after one of the hospitals or just Hospital Row.

I would call St Andrew "King West" and Osgoode "Queen West" personally. Either that or "King-University" and "Queen-University" (and possibly rename King & Queen to "King-Yonge" "Queen-Yonge"). Obviously the problem with St Patrick is there's already a "Dundas West".

The current names are meaningless for the vast majority of people, I'd prefer they actually be helpful. Same with "Pioneer Village" obviously.

Just append "west" onto the street names.

Perhaps Museum could be renamed Queens Park and Queens Park to College West. But I'm okay with leaving Museum as it is, as I feel that Torontonians tend to have a good idea of where exactly the ROM is.

So: Union -> King West -> Queen West -> Dundas West -> College West -> Museum (Queen's Park?) -> St. George

This scheme will result in a name collision with Dundas West Station on Line 2. But this should't be an issue, as they exist on different lines (the official rapid transit map, with Lines 1 through 7 has numerous name collisions).

I would keep Osgoode because of Osgoode Hall at the north-east corner.

St. Andrews has several possible new names. Thomson Hall, Royal Alexandra, Princess of Wales come to mind.

St. Patrick has the Art Gallery of Ontario, or simply Art Gallery. Or even naming them after one of the hospitals or just Hospital Row.

The vast majority of people using Osgoode station aren't heading to Osgoode Hall, and a lot of people haven't heard of or been to Osgoode Hall.

Unlike say York U station where the naming it after a landmark is much more reasonable.

It's just as bad as naming "Steeles West" station "Pioneer Village". We wouldn't name Bloor-Yonge station "Reference Library" would we?

I mean, if it's the well known name of the neighbourhood that stop is inside (like a theoretical Liberty Village station), OK, but if it's named after some building that happens to be near by I don't necessarily think that justifies it.

Once word gets out that the subway actually goes to York...think of the poor dimwitted law students who will get off at Osgoode and think "that was a shorter ride than I imagined"....I a sure they will figure it out eventually.

These are solutions looking for a problem - the same as changing these lines to 1,2 ,3 etc. When people in here talk and use these terms I have no idea which line they are talking about and kind of tune out on what the post is about

Back