Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

I honestly doubt any proposal <300m will be better than Scotia Plaza. Amazing architecture at that height and width is almost impossible to beat imho.

I honestly doubt any proposal <300m will be better than Scotia Plaza. Amazing architecture at that height and width is almost impossible to beat imho.
You got that right! They don't make skyscrapers like that anymore. That building is built like a rock with a thick concrete facade that's coated with a rustic marble slate. Plus the dark rich glazed glass that emphasizes that building to be seen from a distance. Not to mention it doesn't look like a box. The best building in Toronto!

Architecture in Toronto needs more color diversity like the financial district has. BMO(white), Scotia(red), RBC(Gold), TD(Black), CIBC(Grey), KPMG(Blue), Trump(Green.. its ugly I know but still).

I think we're just missing more brick and stone etc. There's something lacking in all the glass and spandrel and stuff used in high rise and EIFS in low rise. I mean, i don't think i've ever walked through New York or Chicago etc and thought, 'gee they just need more colour'!

great comments about colour and diverse materials lacking in this current building boom. the point about companies not being willing to pay for cut stone/marble as a cladding is unfortunately true and that's why many of us refer to all glass buildings as "cheap". there has to be some other direction for developers to go besides glass, spandrel and precast.

in any case, I'm hoping for something here that has some sculptured shape and massing that changes as it gets higher, perhaps resolving to a point at the top. pretty much every other building in this area has a flat roof, so doing something different in that regard will set it apart big time.

I doubt we will get much colour with this. Height and an exciting shape probably but Foster isn't known for their daring use of colour.

I think we're just missing more brick and stone etc. There's something lacking in all the glass and spandrel and stuff used in high rise and EIFS in low rise. I mean, i don't think i've ever walked through New York or Chicago etc and thought, 'gee they just need more colour'!

It's almost like most of those cities were built in a different era than Toronto.

I don't really care about "Colour" as much as I care about choice of material.. I would love to see more natural materials used for buildings or precast used in a sophisticated way (ie. one st. thomas)...

It would also be great if we had a range of shapes or buildings that were tiered/with multiple setbacks instead of all of these straight boxes.

Architecture in Toronto needs more color diversity like the financial district has. BMO(white), Scotia(red), RBC(Gold), TD(Black), CIBC(Grey), KPMG(Blue), Trump(Green.. its ugly I know but still).

Yea!! Finally someone else is thinking the same I am. Too many blue green building beening built. And its giving me the the blues. There must a sale on blue green glass.
The evidence could be seen on skyscraperpagecom under the Toronto ilistrastion page. You could see all the new buildings lined up having a similar coloured facade look.

Back