Toronto 1 Eglinton East | 211.25m | 65s | Davpart | Hariri Pontarini

That building looks really rich and beautiful. Maybe they'll keep the facade when they tear the building down. Then build upwards using the same look as the old building. It will look real nice if they do.

No disrespect, but you could make a case for Facadism when preserving historic or fabric buildings. But I don't think this fits the bill. Having said that, some stone and bright colour would indeed be very refreshing here. The only reason this looks good is because Y&E is so dull at the moment, we can do better.

Who is this "we"? The details are subtle but, I find this to be an above average 1980s design with superior materials. I'd hate to see it replaced by something typical of today which is starting to dominant everywhere.

No disrespect, but you could make a case for Facadism when preserving historic or fabric buildings. But I don't think this fits the bill. Having said that, some stone and bright colour would indeed be very refreshing here. The only reason this looks good is because Y&E is so dull at the moment, we can do better.

I'm struggling to think of condo podiums anywhere in the city that look better than the current red building.

I'm struggling to think of condo podiums anywhere in the city that look better than the current red building.

They certainly don't use those kind of rich dark glazed windows anymore. It cost too much to make per building. The eighties and the nineties were practically the last time I've see them being used. So why knock down a beautiful building. Too many skyscrapers in that area. They need briething space between each other. Build the 68 storey somewhere else or merge with the proposed 56 storey building beside it to make it broader and higher.

They certainly don't use those kind of rich dark glazed windows anymore. It cost too much to make per building. The eighties and the nineties were practically the last time I've see them being used. So why knock down a beautiful building. Too many skyscrapers in that area. They need briething space between each other. Build the 68 storey somewhere else or merge with the proposed 56 storey building beside it to make it broader and higher.

I have to agree. I'd rather see a parking lot or car dealership be developed rather than this nice looking and new office building. For example, the two car repair shops just south of here on yonge.

I do agree that it will be sad to see this building go. But lets see some renderings of what they have planned before making up our minds. If what they have planned is at least as nice or better than this building, I'll be fine with tearing it down.

Who is this "we"? The details are subtle but, I find this to be an above average 1980s design with superior materials. I'd hate to see it replaced by something typical of today which is starting to dominant everywhere.

By "we" I mean any of Toronto's good architects. The best anyone can say about this 8 story building is it's "above average". Y&E will become a major node, density is appropriate, and "we" can build a superior replacement. If you don't agree ye are of little faith.

Guarantee no-one here as ever commented on even admired this building before.

Last edited:
By "we" I mean any of Toronto's good architects. The best anyone can say about this 8 story building is it's "above average". Y&E will become a major node, density is appropriate, and "we" can build a superior replacement. If you don't agree ye are of little faith.

Guarantee no-one here as ever commented on even admired this building before.

I don't feel like the condos built in Toronto in the last 10 years are very spectacular for the most part, especially at ground level. Some of them have been great, but many aren't amazing.

However, for the most part, these condos have been built on parking lots or have replace extremely ugly buildings, used car lots and buildings falling apart, so they have had a positive impact. If you're destroying a nice looking 8 story office tower, I don't feel confident that the new tower will be better than the existing building.

Of course Y&E will be a major node, and density is appropriate, but as I mentioned, there are parking lots within walking distance of this intersection still. There are many spots at Yonge & Eg which I would prefer a tower to be built at.

Of course no one has commented, because this forum is for new buildings being built. The office building was built before this website existed.

It's not an amazing building, but it's a good one.

Edit: Just to elaborate, here are examples of some "trades" I like at Yonge Eg, thinking of development as trading the existing building for the new one.

E Condos: good trade. The new building looks great with a good podium and good public space to be created there. The existing buildings weren't great (but had pretty good bagels).

Art Shoppe: good trade. The existing building is super ugly and kills street life. The new building looks like it should be average, but still way better than what's there now.

Postal Station K condos: I like it because it keeps Postal Station K.

Given the red office building here now, this condo would have to be on the level of Mirvish-Gehry or Picasso (Teeple) in order for me to feel like it would be a good trade. If it's a generic glass box, I'd rather keep the red office building.

Last edited:
I'm not from this area but if this building has dark rich glazed glass and red marble facade. This buildings facade should be preserved. If they can slowly dismantle this and put it back together like some of these condos all the power to them. Maybe they preserve the facade and about ten feet in. Then destroy the middle part and dig down five storeys and go up 68. I think that would be a good idea. If enough people complain I'm sure they'll preserve it.

If they do do some sort of preservation, I hope they preserve the facade but replace the street-level. As nice as this building is, it's interaction with the street is crappy at best.

I think really we all just want to see some different coloured buildings going up. I know this building. I never thought twice about it until now. The colour is nice but if the new project isn't a pale blue glass then it could be an improvement. We will find out sooner or later.

Honestly, 2221 Yonge isn't half bad as 50s streetfront modernism, either--yet I haven't seen laments over *its* potential loss that I've seen here re 1 Eg.

(And of course, there's also that old provincial building that went down on behalf of the Minto Spectrum towers)

Back