Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

^^ With the roof be lit up at night or have any kind of light feature? For this building to not have its curves lit up at night, would be a real shame. We need to showcase our beautiful, landmark buildings.

why the balcony railings are below the level? they should end where the floor ends.
Most buildings with glass balconies do not end at the floor.

Actually, there are many buildings that have the glass balcony railing mounted on top of the slab rather than on the outside slab edge.
Buildings by Core Architects and Freed uses this design detail.

I prefer having the glass slide in front of the floor slab, it gives a much cleaner appearance to the building, though it's harder to clean between the glass and floor slab (which I experienced at my last condo).

14643081007_1802264a77_b.jpg

Would this not allow things to fall off balconies through the gap between the slab and the glass with a bracket that sticks so far out?

There won't be a gap. You can tell from the brackets that the glass will come all the way down.

There will be a gap between the slab edge and the balcony glazing-- there has to be space for all sorts of reasons (expansion/contraction at the very least).

Buildings always have some gap when the balcony glass sits in front of the slab, but there is usually a metal tray beneath which, among other things, prevents objects from falling through the gap.

There will be a gap between the slab edge and the balcony glazing-- there has to be space for all sorts of reasons (expansion/contraction at the very least).

Buildings always have some gap when the balcony glass sits in front of the slab, but there is usually a metal tray beneath which, among other things, prevents objects from falling through the gap.

Ah, I thought he was speaking of a vertical gap, rather than a horizontal gap.

Beautiful photo!
There's something about this building that gives me an early 90's vibe. Or is it late 80s? I think it's the curved glass.

I think this will be a really nice contribution to the area and that very important corner. They seem to have put a lot of thought into making the building a show piece and create a positive street presence.

This building has been a VERY long time in the making but so far it looks like it was worth the wait.

Looking back now its hard to believe, but the first time I saw the render I wasn't too impressed. Man was I ever wrong about that first impression.

Back