Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

Not sure about building the tower itself in phases, but the interesting thing is that the staff report noted that the plan was to build the west tower first.

The proponent has expressed the intention to phase the development commencing with the tower west of Ed Mirvish Way, followed by the east tower, which would accommodate the proposed OCAD University space. However, the proposed Zoning will not restrict the phasing order of the development.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2014/cc/bgrd/backgroundfile-71353.pdf (p. 14)

AoD

Last edited:
It's not only a cost factor, it's also that Americans don't generally want it. Thereby it's hard to muster any political will to do it.

not surprising as nobody would want their country all of a sudden to adopt a completely new metric system. It results in nothing but inconvenience in reality personally.
However, the US will have to convert sooner or later. They account for only 20% of GDP nowadays, not 40% any more, so they will eventually make compromises to other trading partners who generally don't use the imperial system, instead of expecting anyone else to spin about them.
and I guess Canada won't fully convert until the US does since our economy and trading is pretty much all about the US.

In the medical field in Canada, everything I deal with in units is metric no imperial.

I prefer the imperial system because I like to use for cooking and height and weight. i wouldn't mind using it for temp and mile as well

Not sure about building the tower itself in phases, but the interesting thing is that the staff report noted that the plan was to build the west tower first.

Well, I'm pretty sure marketing one building at a time has always been the plan, whether it was 3 towers or 2.

What I'm interested in, is hearing what the prices are for these units. Getting back to 8 Spruce construction costs of $875 million USD for a 1 million sqft building. Either they have figured out how to build cheaper Gehry buildings, or that $100/sqft premium Mirvish was talking about is starting to sound unrealistic.

Ok this megatall moniker is starting to get a bit much. Supertall was somewhat innovative, though not sure if they were the originators of the term. Are they planning on putting labels for buildings at every 300m interval? Talk about unnecessary. I mean now there's already a building under construction that will be 1000m tall, what category are they going to say that's in, Kilotall? Gigatall? And what are they going to use for the cut off? 900m as per every 300m or suddenly jump 400m to 1000m? yesh

Yep, Dubai may soon lose the title. Whether a building is 305m or 1000ft really is trivial.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/24/travel/phoenix-towers-worlds-tallest/

Finally! A rendering!
unnamed.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality, it's the best the newsletter had, and they have not updated their website.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 2,691
Better.
What a difference in impression this rendering provides. It motivates me to wonder about the interaction these towers will have with the sun's light, especially towards a sunset.

And I hope these renderings won't be teasing us a few floors at a time... :) I'm dying to see the whole thing.

These aren't digital renderings. These are shots of models, with the upshot coming from a new model. The downshot is of the same model that was shown months ago.

Back