Toronto Peter Street Condominiums | 129.84m | 40s | CentreCourt | a—A

Grey brick. That's a shame. I was really hoping for a black finish on this one... or anything but grey!

In this case I think the dark grey brick is the better choice in that the "podium" section will integrate better with the tower portion.

20 July 2014:
vIRfinZ.jpg

WJKMYzZ.jpg

uXxZlf4.jpg

of4eYhB.jpg

4RHFphq.jpg

TKzwNBa.jpg

K1qxExA.jpg

q3lNNjr.jpg

There is something very New York City about the massing of this tower - its sheer verticality as it rises from the street without a big podium. Very urban in a good way.

Agreed. My only complaint at this point is the balcony glass; I think clear panels would have been better than the frosted colour we're seeing. Otherwise, loving the finesse of details like the exhaust grilles.

Agreed. My only complaint at this point is the balcony glass; I think clear panels would have been better than the frosted colour we're seeing. Otherwise, loving the finesse of details like the exhaust grilles.

Practicality likely ruled the day. Frosted provides a bit of privacy, clear provides none. That said, I'm not about to go on any balcony that has glass walls. I don't feel comfortable in the slightest.

- its sheer verticality as it rises from the street without a big podium. Very urban in a good way.

It's a refreshing change. A strong street apron that goes straight up from the lot line VS. a podium with a tower pushed back from the lot line? I'll take the former almost every time. The latter always feels like a lost opportunity to create an impressively urban streetscape.

Exactly! I couldn’t agree more. It’s so refreshing to see bold, unapologetic vertical urbanism rather than the architectural diffidence of the podium apology for height.

Not that I think every building needs them, but a major reason for podiums is to stop windy downdrafts from hitting the sidewalk. It's not just a shade and style thing.

The details coming together at the end are really making this building for sure. Those exhaust grills are nice.
As for the verticality of the building, I love it as well. The only thing I worry about with them is that someone is going to drop something off of their balcony and hit me in the head haha.

Ha, I (surely irrationally) worry about that, too, sometimes. In a place like Manhattan where it seems like every sidewalk abuts tall buildings with windows or balconies, is this ever an issue that arises?

Not that I think every building needs them, but a major reason for podiums is to stop windy downdrafts from hitting the sidewalk. It's not just a shade and style thing.

If wonder if a series of progressive setbacks rather than a sheer tower on a podium would achieve the same effect.

If wonder if a series of progressive setbacks rather than a sheer tower on a podium would achieve the same effect.

I was thinking the same thing. Logically, it seems like it would have the same effect; as long as the wind doesn't have a direct path to follow down to the street, it shouldn't be a problem. Personally I've grown quite tired of the podium + point tower combo that has become the norm here. I much prefer a strong street wall, with more gradual setbacks as the tower rises. I quite like the massing of this tower as well though. Like isaidso said, it's nice to see something that rises almost straight from the property line. Something about it seems very urban.

Back