Square One Shopping Centre

I was going through the mall and am finding the mall is at the last stretch of kicking out tenants. Some of the older stores that weren't as popular are slowly closing down. I feel it would be nice to get some of those "big name" stores in, that may not be the best at business but have a sort of title to their name that could up the mall's street creed. Stores like Hollister/Abercrombie, American Apparel and so on would be nice to see added to the mall.

Now that Jacob has gone under, I wonder what will take it's place. I also wonder what will take Sephora's old spot, and what will take Call it Spring's old spot if they decide not to keep two Call it Spring just across the hall from each other.

I was going through the mall and am finding the mall is at the last stretch of kicking out tenants. Some of the older stores that weren't as popular are slowly closing down. I feel it would be nice to get some of those "big name" stores in, that may not be the best at business but have a sort of title to their name that could up the mall's street creed. Stores like Hollister/Abercrombie, American Apparel and so on would be nice to see added to the mall.

It's hard to believe that those stores didn't set up shop years ago, but I never go to Square One. I always thought Square One was like a Yorkdale or Sherway, but on a recent visit I saw that while it has most of the same stores, its architecture is more banal and it has low end stores like Target and Walmart. It's a good mall, but not quite on the same level as Yorkdale, Sherway and the Eaton Centre in spite of similar regional significance.

Looks like Apollon is on the move again with lease expire and moving sign up. Can't remember when they don't have these signs up almost yearly.

I believe a shoe store is gone in the south corridor, west of Hudson's as it is empty now and could had been something else. There a few more empty stores as well.

Target is still a dead store.

Sephora is opening up on Aug 28 at the top of the escalators in the food court.
13988165358_eb493f3499_b.jpg

What time of the day did you visit the mall? The normally packed food court is empty. Target isn't as busy as Walmart, of course, but not dead. I was there after mall closing tonight and there was a short line.

From the latest newsletter from Square One:

NOW OPEN!
- Kiehl's (Level two near Zara)
- Nutrition House (Level one near Target)
- Microsoft (Level two near Old Navy)

COMING SOON!

Summer 2014

- Chico's
- L'Occitane
- Lole
- Purdy's
- Rudsak
- Tumi

Fall 2014
- Aroma Espresso Bar
- Ben Moss
- Booster Juice
- Brandy Melville
- Forever 21
- Justice & Brothers

Spring 2016
- Holt Renfrew
- Simons

Did anyone else catch this in the Globe piece?

"But in the longer term, Square One has greater mixed-use potential than Yorkdale because of the wide expanse of Oxford’s undeveloped property holdings on 41 acres north of the centre.

A preliminary rendering for the master plan suggests the possibility of 10 new office towers with eight million square feet of space, 15 condo towers and townhouses with combined total of 5,000 residential units as well as a hotel and 500,000 square feet of institutional space."

What is this all about?

Mississauga's Square One Shopping Centre will become North America's only mall to feature both a luxury anchor and a Walmart store. A 120,000 square foot Holt Renfrew flagship is scheduled to open in the mall in the spring of 2016 and as far as we're aware, the mall's 225,000 square foot Walmart Supercentre will continue to operate. Read More: http://www.retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2014/6/mall

*squints* Is that a Sport Chek sign in between the Old Navy and Moxie one in the render? Is it moving into the mall, and more curiosity, if it is, what is happening to the location on Rathburn?

Wouldn't be surprised if SportChek moves to the mall. They seem to be moving into more malls and leaving freestanding buildings, as malls get way more foot traffic.

Back