535     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 263     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drugs and the middle class

re
One - I'm just surprised we haven't heard more from ex employees...
Two - hmmmm.........so maybe yesterday's antics will be featured in the first show??
Three - not sure what you mean, please elaborate?

There seems to be a mindset about who does drugs and why, (i.e crack addicts are hopeless abused society rejects) plenty of Bay Street types use cocaine and are not above trying heroin or any other substance that is presented to them.
Plenty of suburban teens thrill at the idea of weed or pills that will "expand their minds" so when mummy and daddy are away they explore. Also it is true that not everyone who uses drugs is an addict.

Comments from the sit-in at city hall.

Rob Ford Must Go ‏@robfordmustgo 30m
Doug Ford just stopped & complimented us on the posters. Said "y'know we could bring 1000 folks down here & cover them up."

"But we won't. We'll let you sit here until October 27th," Doug continued. "We'll be here," we said. He left on elevator.

Can anyone tell me if the executive committee stripped more powers from Ford yesterday?
I was reading an article (sorry forgot to bookmark it) but the way the online news organizations order their articles, it could have been older than yesterday. It sounded like a mix of old news and some new stuff but it said that it was an executive city meeting where Rob just kept his head down as they stripped him of more powers.

I feel like most of yesterday was just a dream.

Doug Ford just stopped & complimented us on the posters. Said "y'know we could bring 1000 folks down here & cover them up."

"But we won't. We'll let you sit here until October 27th," Doug continued. "We'll be here," we said. He left on elevator.

What. A. Dick. I definitely would have told him to send those imaginary 1000 people on down.

I know this will never happen but I would like to see the media stop covering him...so stop treating him like he matters.

Just can't see it happening. Sadly. Much as it would be better for our institutions and our democracy.

For example, the Ottawa Press Gallery recently passed some kind of motion asserting their right, as journalists in a free and democratic society, to ask questions of Harper and his bunch, wherever, whenever. Or else! Because the PMO so rigidly controls access and thus the message. Noble in intent, but it will fail in deed. And the PMO knows it's toothless. Because it's such a competitive business. The outlets need the copy to get the clicks, copies sold and the numbers to justify the ad rates. And thus their profits. So they will all - press and PMO - keep on keepin' on as they have been.

In a hyper-competitive market like T.O., that goes quadruple. If the Star, say, decides to Just Ignore Him, the Post, the Globe, the Sun and the rest will gleefully fill the void and glom their share of the finite ad revenue the circus brings. The media simply have no incentive to co-operate. Stopping coverage of Ford might be better for political decorum and civic affairs but it won't sell the ink or pixels that are, in the end, vehicles for advertising. Coupled with the fact that Ford is doubling-down on his obstreperous antics against them suggests that the madness is only going to intensify. The show's just gonna get weirder and weirder. And every outlet wants to get it on the page, on the air. It's good copy. Good TV. Good fodder for chat radio. The press needs Ford as much as he needs them to fulfill his "Media Victim" narrative.

And, finally, just think if they stop covering the Train Wreck: What the hell would happen to a forum like this without all that? Even the best bringers of salient info, like Jimmi T or MetroMan, seem to get their stuff from either people they know in the press covering it or, one guesses, TPS sources.

I'm sure he could, but it would cost him $20k.

What. A. Dick. I definitely would have told him to send those imaginary 1000 people on down.

Correct response would be: "Well, at $20 a pop, 1000 people... why, that's $20,000, or in terms your brother would understand: four gifts to Renata. Bring it, Douglas."

Edit: ah, I see tjvc74 posted the same joke 20 dollars... err, minutes ahead of me. Hats off to you.

Last edited:
Just can't see it happening. Sadly. Much as it would be better for our institutions and our democracy.

For example, the Ottawa Press Gallery recently passed some kind of motion asserting their right, as journalists in a free and democratic society, to ask questions of Harper and his bunch, wherever, whenever. Or else! Because the PMO so rigidly controls access and thus the message. Noble in intent, but it will fail in deed. And the PMO knows it's toothless. Because it's such a competitive business. The outlets need the copy to get the clicks, copies sold and the numbers to justify the ad rates. And thus their profits. So they will all - press and PMO - keep on keepin' on as they have been.

In a hyper-competitive market like T.O., that goes quadruple. If the Star, say, decides to Just Ignore Him, the Post, the Globe, the Sun and the rest will gleefully fill the void and glom their share of the finite ad revenue the circus brings. The media simply have no incentive to co-operate. Stopping coverage of Ford might be better for political decorum and civic affairs but it won't sell the ink or pixels that are, in the end, vehicles for advertising. Coupled with the fact that Ford is doubling-down on his obstreperous antics against them suggests that the madness is only going to intensify. The show's just gonna get weirder and weirder. And every outlet wants to get it on the page, on the air. It's good copy. Good TV. Good fodder for chat radio. The press needs Ford as much as he needs them to fulfill his "Media Victim" narrative.

And, finally, just think if they stop covering the Train Wreck: What the hell would happen to a forum like this without all that? Even the best bringers of salient info, like Jimmi T or MetroMan, seem to get their stuff from either people they know in the press covering it or, one guesses, TPS sources.

When I said "stop covering him" I chose my words poorly. It's not that I think they should stop following the story, just stop following him, stop huddling around him at City Hall, stop pointing 40 cameras at his head when he hides behind a screen (that was weird).

And I know it won't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back