Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

I never said average - read carefully: I said hard working, mortgaged, ambitious singles or couples willing to pay a premium or accept a smaller square footage to live in a work of art. Keep it coming let's surface these objections...

The argument you're making is bizarre and makes no sense. You are mumbling about "non-plutocratic, hard working people" buying condos at mirvish , in the next post you're saying the objections to m-g are based on envy. Why would anyone be envious if it's so affordable? Which is it?

Just a question - when building designs are shrunk 30% to fit a tapering skyline, does everything else have to shrink proportionately like windows and toilet bowls? Would the planning dep't have a view. Did Jane Jacobs opine?

ok, my caffeine rush is abating, signing off. TJ O'Pooterboot, sorry if I offended. I just love this city, love architecture, and (in this rare instance) I'd trade these warehouses for a Gehry masterpiece. I have no illusions this project will solve things like the housing crisis.

The argument you're making is bizarre and makes no sense. You are mumbling about "non-plutocratic, hard working people" buying condos at mirvish , in the next post you're saying the objections to m-g are based on envy. Why would anyone be envious if it's so affordable? Which is it?

I'm saying there's a perception these grand buildings are being built by the rich for the rich (not that I'd care if they were) which is stoking tall poppy and politics of envy respectively. I am also saying the perception is incorrect, that many residents will be professional couples, carrying mortgages living in 1,200 sq foot units.

I'm also saying that, thank God, most Torontonians couldn't care less about those issues - they probably include a M-G walk-past into their day at the Skydome, Aquarium or whatever.

Last edited:
I'm saying there's a perception these grand buildings are being built by the rich for the rich (not that I'd care if they were) which is stoking tall poppy and politics of envy respectively. I am also saying the perception is incorrect, that many residents will be professional couples, carrying mortgages living in 1,200 sq foot units.

I don't know what city you're thinking about, but in downtown Toronto units go for an average 658/sqft. Ignoring that it is very safe to say a project like this will command a premium price, a 1,200 foot unit at that market price would come to $789,000. Mortgage or no mortgage, that puts anyone able to afford that in the upper 1% ($190,000+) of income earners in the country. However you're attempting to contextualize them so they look as good as possible, that is very, very wealthy. So, you're wrong.

For the record salaries are slightly higher in the CBD than in Thunder Bay. Not saying its right, just that it is true.

I should also point out that Thunder Bay has a higher median income than Toronto, by about $ 10,000. Even though I know you'll shift goal posts by saying you're talking about the CBD only or whatever, the point you're making is basically wrong. Toronto also has a higher percentage of people living in poverty than the national and provincial average.

Shifting goal posts? lol. I explicitly said CBD.

In any case, subsidized housing and other social assistance, are the responsibility of the province and tax-payers willingly foot the bill.

Putting subsidized housing in the CBD is counterproductive since we could only afford to build 1/2 as many units.

Last edited:
Lets just put a $ on all property tax revenues and the social assistance is it will provide, the consumer spending in the area and the associated employment, and the construction jobs and other spinoffs and put this issue to rest and move on to others.

Just a question - when building designs are shrunk 30% to fit a tapering skyline, does everything else have to shrink proportionately like windows and toilet bowls? Would the planning dep't have a view. Did Jane Jacobs opine?

ok, my caffeine rush is abating, signing off. TJ O'Pooterboot, sorry if I offended. I just love this city, love architecture, and (in this rare instance) I'd trade these warehouses for a Gehry masterpiece. I have no illusions this project will solve things like the housing crisis.

Look, fair enough.

I don't hold Jane Jacobs up as the Knower of All Things.
I basically like the buildings and I basically respect their ambition.
I don't have tall poppy syndrome.

My point boils down to that affordable housing and all these other things (including heritage) are not Gehry/Mirvish's concern and they don't really have to be, except for that he owns heritage buildings and knows what comes with that.

BUT it is the city planning department's job to worry about those things and not to treat an individual project differently because the design is that much more stunning. (And even there, there are plenty of people who think the design is wanting, but that's not really a concern of mine. But it IS subjective.)

I don't expect this project to make (as an example) affordable housing worse by itself but I do expect people to respect that the city's job is to take a look at it and consider the broader impacts. Am I willing to lose the warehouses for a "masterpiece"? Well, I'd consider it but when Gehry blows into town and says that Osgoode and Old City Hall are the ONLY buildings in the 416 worth preserving, I don't believe he's given it any consideration at all. The fact is that while the warehouses are no kinds of masterpieces (though they're handsome enough) this city has destroyed so much of its old architecture that you get to the point where, of course, you're going to only have 2 worthy buildings left. If we'd kept more old buildings, we'd be better off and sometimes you have to draw a line and "masterpiece" isn't a trump card.

I'm not asking Mirvish to solve the social ills of Toronto but people who take shots at the planning department for worrying about those things should be fairer. The gallery IS a nice addition, as is OCAD. Whether it's sufficient public amenity is debatable, so we're debating it. We live in a city that's an amalgamation of millions of private interests but we still assume there is some sort of common good and it's the city's job to make sure this project, and every project works in that context. That's why we have a planning process in the first place.

I hope they don't cut it off at the knees but I assure the likes of Chris Hume that even Mirvish didn't think it was going to sail through council with no changes. That's how these things work. We should be able to get our masterpiece, such as it is, and do it right. This isn't the Emperor of Austria telling Mozart he has too many notes. This is a municipality telling a developer that his development must exist within a framework of rules and he knew that going in and that's why the proposal is so tall to start with; not out of some aesthetic perfection. IMHO.

The real reason planning is against this proprosal is we all know where it leads: the destruction of many more century old warehouses in the area (and others) for very tall towers. It's maybe too soon for this to happen when many of us can remember our grandparents and great grandparents' generation being the builders of such buildings. It will eventually happen ... but likely not for another 100+ years.

Oh, and this sort of nimbyism is common everywhere: from London to NYC to LA. A good architect's job is to work within the boundaries of local zoning and planning laws and create beauty out of that chaos.

Last edited:
The real reason planning is against this proprosal is we all know where it leads: the destruction of many more century old warehouses in the area (and others) for very tall towers. It's maybe too soon for this to happen when many of us can remember our grandparents and great grandparents' generation being the builders of such buildings. It will eventually happen ... but likely not for another 100+ years.

I don't think that's it. In the 60s we had no problem tearing down block after block of heritage buildings.

From some of the people I've had discussions with I've been given the impression that the grand scale of M+G is intimidating and they're using "heritage" as a scapegoat. The typical NIBYisms we're used to. Unfortunately this is the probably origin of most of the opposition.

From other discussions I get the impression that they're genuinely concerned about loss of heritage. While they love how spectacular M+G is, they're afraid the project will lead to dozens of glass box condos destroying heritage buildings. This is a position that I can respect. I'd hate to see our most important heritage buildings lost to some cheap glass box development.

My own viewpoint is that destroying these anonymous heritage buildings is well worth it for what they'll be replacing. In a single day, M+G will contribute more to the heritage, culture and history of Toronto than the heritage warehouse could do in a thousand lifetimes. These buildings will become an icon of this city. It's something that future generations of Torntonians will look to for pride and inspiration, much like someone in New York or Chicago might look at some of their own buildings. This is something that some anonymous warehouse on King could never dream of achieving.

Last edited:
Great, let’s plan everything into one nice neat project where all the buildings are of even height and similar materials (allowing of course for the extremely necessary tapering from FCP). Then of course we will have true nirvana. We won’t tear down old buildings because every building has a story to tell – we’ll just keep building our new buildings out in the suburbs or beyond the old buildings because, you don’t take down something that’s already built – we’ll just build further and further out into the suburbs so as not to interfere with the existing domain. Then, THEN, we will have really built something.

We can have special school days were we tell the children what these old buildings were used for and that since we don’t build buildings like them anymore, we will keep them forever – be they functional or not. Then we’ll put them on a bus home to their buildings miles away, happy with the knowledge that, yes, we saved some old buildings and prevented some savage developers from haunting our downtown with ridiculous things like condos, schools and art galleries.

Here’s a thought, I’d like to elect the Gardiner expressway as a heritage something or other since it represents a form of highway construction we don’t employ anymore. We’ll make council build the new highway on top of it so we can continue to marvel at the Gardiner’s…whatever… and keep a great sense of history downtown. Yes, I can see it all now… (chest puffed out with pride)

Y'know, if I may recall my espousal of slow road trips to Niagara rather than a quick thought-free QEW, or of enjoying NYC in the in-depth terms of "existing fabric" rather than letting ooh! aah! prima donna landmarks carry all the weight...your tone is that of the proverbial bored, resentful, disinterested kid along on such a trip, rolling your eyes.

Well, kiddo...if you don't like it, stuff it.

Y'know, if I may recall my espousal of slow road trips to Niagara rather than a quick thought-free QEW, or of enjoying NYC in the in-depth terms of "existing fabric" rather than letting ooh! aah! prima donna landmarks carry all the weight...your tone is that of the proverbial bored, resentful, disinterested kid along on such a trip, rolling your eyes.

Well, kiddo...if you don't like it, stuff it.

Wow, what was that? You really like listening to yourself don't you? Oh, and "stuff it" back atcha.

Last edited:
I don't think that's it. In the 60s we had no problem tearing down block after block of heritage buildings.

we also had no problem having pregnant women smoking and drinking. Times have changed. And since heritage buildings are finite, I think it's rather obvious why "we" care more now about preserving the few we have left.

From other discussions I get the impression that they're genuinely concerned about loss of heritage. While they love how spectacular M+G is, they're afraid the project will lead to dozens of glass box condos destroying heritage buildings. This is a position that I can respect. I'd hate to see our most important heritage buildings lost to some cheap glass box development.

That's where I situate myself. These aren't necessarily our "most important heritage buildings" But they are nonetheless designated heritage buildings and are therefore worthy of more consideration than Gehry and Mirvish have given them. Whether they're replaced by a glass box or the Best Building Ever is immaterial to me. It's not a question of weighing relative aesthetics. That's not the principle under which our heritage laws exist. "This building is important to the history of Ontario but if you have a REALLY COOL idea, by all means, we can work something out!" I sincerely care about the heritage and I'm not "intimidated" by the scale.

Really, intimidated? I can guess I can understand that a NIMBY level but why would anyone be intimidated by it?

I've walked past those buildings many times and I know it's just a Tim Hortons and whever now but they are not "anonymous." They are part of the streetscape on King and you only have to to walk down stretches of King East, where the buildings have been saved, to get a sense of what they used to be part of. And if you keep destroying everything around our heritage buildings everything that's left will either be monumental (like Old City Hall or Osgoode) or, by your definition, anonymous. A building doesn't have to be the place Lincoln was shot to be of historical significance and this city has already sacrificed too many "anonymous" buildings that could have been better integrated into the fabric. Toronto shouldn't be treated like Las Vegas where everything is replaceable.

You can't just create heritage out of thin air like that. The Empire State Building is a magnificent building but it wasn't instantly part of New York's heritage. To suggest otherwise is to misunderstand the meaning of the word. And for all I know it replaced some anonymous warehouses.

I just don't see what's wrong with asking them to at least try working them in. Once you determine that some building - a building that went through the designation process - is "anonymous" and sacrificeable to whatever "better' idea comes along, you're getting onto an awful slippery slope, IMHO.

Back