41     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Harry Stinson is not dead

Stop With the Excuses!

From an article in the Star about Hamilton

"The 71-unit Stinson project is more than 75 per cent sold and should be open in the spring of 2013, he says."

Some fantastic pix of the ongoing restoration in the 'construction photos' section of their website.

http://stinsonschool.com/

Honestly, he pushes the occupancy date back 6 months every 6 months-or-so. I'm in this hood (ironically called Stinson, which the school is named after -NOT Harry!) pretty often, and construction moves at a snail's-pace, if at all.

He needs to concentrate on ONE project at a time if he wants to succeed at any of them! He bought 2 big old Victorian homes across the street from the School as well, fixed those up before the school.. which wont be occupied in 2013 (in my personal opinion).

Also, he blamed the City of Hamilton for the demise of his Hamilton Grand project as they 'demanded' a set-back for a wider sidewalk (there is a new bus stop located in front of this lot, and the sidewalk is currently quite narrow in this stretch). Apparently all his investors backed out at that point due to the required setback? Just go up higher, Harry! You're aiming for 6-storeys, yet the City wants 15-storyes for this high-profile corner!

My parents old neighbour bought one at Stinson school in 2009 (I think), I believe it will be finished something like 15 months late, not sure on valuation changes, but they paid something like $150K or something in that area for a classroom. They were one of the first 5-10 people to buy into project.
I don't really talk to them so don't know if there satisfied with how it is going now, but there website seems decent enough. This was the first time I checked it out.
What are major issues with Stinson? I know he had major problems with that hotel/condo in Toronto.

Set-back 'Solved'

It appears Harry has solved the 'set back issue' for his Hamilton Grand project - there is now an over-hang. He has also added a rooftop patio. I think this is Change # 5 for this project. Let's see if it ever takes off..

[video=youtube;UBvGVF0fOto]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBvGVF0fOto&feature=youtu.be[/video]
source: http://www.hamiltongrand.ca

My parents friends I mentioned above have there closing mid July. Not sure if there are other units that are closing sooner or if it was delayed again.

I am actually going to Hamilton on Sunday and may try to find this place to see if its actually being built well.

Flop

"One deadline after another gets missed, but Harry tells me now that all 66 [Stinson School Loft] suites will be ready to go this May."

http://www.cbc.ca/hamilton/talk/story/2013/01/07/hamilton-tenthings.html
@PaulWilsonCBC

Well, buyers may be able to get in 'this May' this weekend (May 4th & 5th)!!
..but there's a catch! It's just for Doors Open Hamilton!
(bring your own hard hats and steel toed boots. Waiver signing required)

http://www.doorsopenhamilton.ca/

***This is a post for a friend, not me***

A Friends family purchased a unit, he has started a facebook page for owners of the building as closing is approaching. Feel it is a good way to meet neighbours plus talk about any issues there are with the unit. Type in "Stinson School Lofts" in facebook and ask to join the group if you are an owner or a tenant of the building. This is a closed group.

Disclaimer: no one in Hamilton takes this fool seriously either.
I hope you don't think we do. We have all given up hope on Harry, from Politiians to regular Joe's to developers.

I have a feeling once the School lofts are complete (ha!) Harry will cancel the 'Hamilton Grand' plans and abandon ship.
He admits Hamilton has no faith in him, so why wouldn't he leave.

He went through 3 different architects for this project!! No wonder it's over 2 years past it's Sep 2011 move-in date!
What a fool!

You will have to show me one of your developments one day. It's easy, even a fool can do it.
Disclaimer: no one in Hamilton takes this fool seriously either.
I hope you don't think we do. We have all given up hope on Harry, from Politiians to regular Joe's to developers.

I have a feeling once the School lofts are complete (ha!) Harry will cancel the 'Hamilton Grand' plans and abandon ship.
He admits Hamilton has no faith in him, so why wouldn't he leave.

He went through 3 different architects for this project!! No wonder it's over 2 years past it's Sep 2011 move-in date!
What a fool!

You will have to show me one of your developments one day. It's easy, even a fool can do it.

My most-accomplished development to date is the abolishment of the misconception(s) people have on Hamilton (including Hamiltonians themselves).
I have done so, mostly, by word-of-mouth but also through this site and SSP Local Hamilton. The most effective way, however, is to take people on a walking-tour of our Downtown from the base of the Niagara Escarpment to the edge of Burlington Bay.

You can tell my - and many many others NOT including Harry Stinson - hard work has paid off as suggested in this recent article by Christopher Hume:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/10/13/toronto_and_hamilton_switch_princeandpauper_roles.html

Harry did nothing but come into town at the right time in order to buy at the right (below-market value) price. He has failed to materialize any of his other Hamilton projects besides this one (maybe, not yet), which is years behind schedule BTW!
Harry is now publicly dissing Hamiltonians saying we are the wrong people to market Real Estate to, despite stats showing that Hamiltonians are in fact buying more real estate w/in our own city than non-Hamiltonians (CBC Hamilton reported this, though I can't find a link to the article).

Either way, Harry Stinson has done little-to-nothing for Hamilton (besides criticize it at every opportunity, blaming us for his recent woes). If he didn't buy Stinson School, someone else would have and finished the project much sooner!

Ok. So you are mad that Harry bought at "below-market" value. He bought at market. At the time he bought it was market. And there would have been competition for the site. The "market" is not stupid and nobody ever steals a property. Harry ponied up and committed. He deserves credit not disdain for that. You sound like every kid who ever rued the fact real estate isn't cheap like it used to be. Real estate is always expensive and always takes balls to buy.

You think someone else could have delivered the building faster than Harry. Well that is impossible to determine but he tells us his bank loan is chewing into his profits. Nobody wants to deliver the building faster than the developer. And Harry has worked in hard areas. I am sure he is going as fast as he can.

I can't comment on Harry's relationship with the community having not followed it.

In a few years or decade I am sure you will look back on the project as a good one as I walk by the Candy Factory and marvel at its beauty and think how hard it must have been to deliver.
My most-accomplished development to date is the abolishment of the misconception(s) people have on Hamilton (including Hamiltonians themselves).
I have done so, mostly, by word-of-mouth but also through this site and SSP Local Hamilton. The most effective way, however, is to take people on a walking-tour of our Downtown from the base of the Niagara Escarpment to the edge of Burlington Bay.

You can tell my - and many many others NOT including Harry Stinson - hard work has paid off as suggested in this recent article by Christopher Hume:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/10/13/toronto_and_hamilton_switch_princeandpauper_roles.html

Harry did nothing but come into town at the right time in order to buy at the right (below-market value) price. He has failed to materialize any of his other Hamilton projects besides this one (maybe, not yet), which is years behind schedule BTW!
Harry is now publicly dissing Hamiltonians saying we are the wrong people to market Real Estate to, despite stats showing that Hamiltonians are in fact buying more real estate w/in our own city than non-Hamiltonians (CBC Hamilton reported this, though I can't find a link to the article).

Either way, Harry Stinson has done little-to-nothing for Hamilton (besides criticize it at every opportunity, blaming us for his recent woes). If he didn't buy Stinson School, someone else would have and finished the project much sooner!

Harry has a history. I was interested in one of his projects but am very glad I didn't get involved. I'd still be waiting.

Back