Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

None of the 15 to 20 CityPlace buildings have had any glass fall and that's the single biggest Condo development in Toronto and it's Chinese. They covered up a few buildings at one point as a precaution but no glass fell.

Whilst not glass - I know spandrel has been falling from the buildings there

QQBOO1n.jpg

Whilst not glass - I know spandrel has been falling from the buildings there

I believe that happened on a day during extreme weather. It landed on my building's second storey terrace. It had shattered into pieces and didn't come down as a sheet though. There was also patio furniture blown off balconies that day. I remember walking to work the next morning, and someones conversation set was laying on Fort York Blvd.

And that was a single incident. Spandrel hasn't fallen from any other building so far.

Any updates on the glass that fell? Maybe it was the fault of the unit'a owner and not an inherent defect in the construction?

What would the tenant be doing that would be acceptable reason for the glass to fall?

Prying out the panes with a large crowbar? I hear many tenants take a sip of single malt, put on some classic jazz and try that after a good meal. Particularly if they are above the fiftieth floor.

What would the tenant be doing that would be acceptable reason for the glass to fall?

Possibly hit it with a heavy piece of furniture? A man once broke one of the windows at a TD tower and fell to his death after running into it, so anything's possible; you never know.

^^^
SL is investigating and is to report back. However it is concerning given what has happened in other buildings.
this was sent to the residents: Sept 11, 2013:
Please be advised that yesterday afternoon pieces of a shattered balcony pane fell from the 23rd floor on to University Avenue. A Pedestrian on the street level suffered minor injuries. The Condominium Corporation's insurer has been notified of this incident. The original installer has already been on-site to replace the balcony glass and to take pieces of the glass for investigation. The Board has also contacted the Condominium Corporation's consultant to review this situation to determine the cause of the shattered balcony glass. At this point the Board is not aware of any construction or product deficiencies relating to the balcony glass and railings. We will keep you informed of any developments and the results of any investigations relating to this matter.

Possibly hit it with a heavy piece of furniture? A man once broke one of the windows at a TD tower and fell to his death after running into it, so anything's possible; you never know.

Even a faulty pane of glass on a tower like this would never break because a piece of furniture smacked into it.

Also, before jumping to conclusions, look at the facts. It was balcony glazing that fell, not part of the building envelope.

Agree with Spire. It is always possible to conceive of some weird and wonderful scenario in which the occupant is to blame for the falling glass. But it would fall into Aristotle's category of the improbable possible, which the artist and I think even the engineer should avoid.

Improper design, faulty installation or poor materials or a combination of those, is far more likely as the emanation. Extreme natural phenomena would also be an explanation, but I haven't heard of any recent typhoons or major earthquakes in Toronto.

Last edited:

That was also quarter inch plate, not a 7/8" IGU. And note the lack of a piano on the sidewalk below.

Back