Toronto Hullmark Centre | 167.94m | 45s | Tridel | Kirkor Architects

You're right its more brown / black if anything in downtown Markham.

This is an exceptionally well-designed complex IMO. It would have be a welcome change to many of the stereotypical boxes that are under construction downtown - And the build so far looks to be very well done. Great complex.

6E369E72-7823-47DF-8278-79FB9C8AE920-720-00000097EDE9C5CE.jpg

^Disagree. After spending hours upon hours in SketchUp, the google 3D warehouse (my new favourite shopping destination :)) and watching countless youtube architecture-related tutorials, it's really hitting hard how generic developments like Hullmark Centre are. Utterly "parts bin" architecture. I am not disputing the architect's technical skills, rather the client's desire to create a work of art here.

Meh ... it depends what you are comparing it too.

There are some amazing buildings along King E / W that are beautifully designed for the area. Quality wise some of the projects along Wellington are impossible to beat.

For the area though this is welcome change to the generally drab architecture that composes NYCC.

I actually like the Minto Spring building (the dark glass one) just behind this as well. Also there is a short building with 2 story units throughout and a windmill on top just further south on Yonge that's nice.

hehe comment wasn't directed at you, rather Big Daddy.

I'm OK with this as a gateway too NYCC in all honesty. Brick at this location wouldn't work well I'd argue.

what a beauty! ^ the sharpest looking glass and podium I've seen in a while. IMO, visually comparable to higher end projects such as the Four Seasons. THIS is what a mixed use condo/office/retail project should look like (is there some sorta hotel element to Hullmark Centre?)

No real hotel at HullmarkCentre,.... unless you count the homeless in the subway station and subway cars below,... that seems to be the city's homeless solution - give them free metropass for free transit and shelter.

This is an exceptionally well-designed complex IMO. It would have be a welcome change to many of the stereotypical boxes that are under construction downtown - And the build so far looks to be very well done. Great complex.

Whats really makes this project for me is the podium (specifically the corner). The massing is perfect: it's a big building, but positioned far enough from the street (and concave at the corner) so it doesn't feel super imposing. I still wish they kept some sorta video screen, but it's a small complaint.
As for the towers, it's true they are boxes, but they got real nice placement of the balconies and don't go overboard with the wrap-around ones (ex Casa)
Also, the setbacks and rooftop fins are really nice details.

One a side note, Gibson Square also has a really nice podium/plaza at it's base, passing by it the other day, I was impressed by how it looks at street level). I can't say the cladding is nearly in the same league as Hullmark, but I'm digging these podiums.
Cool how both these projects happen to be at 2 major NYCC intersections.

Looks very sterile and uninviting. Rather generic 401 office park style cladding and design on the podium, just situated in an urban setting. I have a difficult time visualizing how this will enhance or encourage street activity. It's basically a continuation of NYCC blandness, but with only much less precast.

South tower is almost finished--they poured 35th floor and are working on the mechanical floor now:

smimg1699.jpg

The vertical column is being cladded with pre-cast:

smimg1703.jpg

The office tower is being dressed too:

smimg1704.jpg

That notch in the middle? Probably. The south tower is already higher than anything on that corner. It looks like it is as high (if not higher) as Nestle Building--quite a change from a see of parking lots only couple of years ago...

Back